Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times

Advertisements

I plan on cancelling a dentist appointment today. In a few weeks I'm scheduled for having a crown and a few fillings replaced. It's not an emergency, but just trying to avoid problems down the road.
I do not, and never have had dental insurance, and this $1600. procedure is coming at about the same time as my property tax bill.
Bottom line, if dentists offered billing to spread out the payments I would not be cancelling.
I don't understand how they all succeed without doing it. Surely, dentists must be feeling the pinch in today's economy like everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 AM

518 posts, read 2,524,765 times
most of their work is probably insurance work. when i did not have dental insurance, i did not go to the dentist. i tried to be extra careful with taking care of my teeth and eating healthier

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,959,195 times
Having done billing in a dental office, I can tell you that the reason is that a huge percentage of people do'nt pay their dental bills. People pay their mortgages, car payments, insurance, electricity, etc. first. I don't know any doctors' offices who do billing anymore, actually... I've always had to pay for anything that the insurance didn't cover right there and then.

You could apply at www.carecredit.com, which is a dental/vision credit card of sorts. You might be able to get 3-12 months interest free, depending on whatever their promotion is right now. Not all dentists accept carecredit, but it doesn't hurt to look (though the interest rate is pretty high if you don't get the interest free promotion).

Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Having done billing in a dental office, I can tell you that the reason is that a huge percentage of people do'nt pay their dental bills. People pay their mortgages, car payments, insurance, electricity, etc. first. I don't know any doctors' offices who do billing anymore, actually... I've always had to pay for anything that the insurance didn't cover right there and then.

You could apply at www.carecredit.com, which is a dental/vision credit card of sorts. You might be able to get 3-12 months interest free, depending on whatever their promotion is right now. Not all dentists accept carecredit, but it doesn't hurt to look (though the interest rate is pretty high if you don't get the interest free promotion).
I could just put it on a credit card, since I have a much lower rate than that kind of credit, but I don't want to. I might decide to just get the crown replaced, but not the two fillings. The crown is what worries me the most.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,296,455 times
GH-

I feel your pain. Check into Dental Plans for your area. They are not insurance. You pay about $130.00 per year and you get huge discounts at the dentists office. I am in TN and the border of NC. We don't have any dental plans. I had a root canal yesterday for $1050.00. And they want to do more work on that tooth.

If I used my old FL dentist with my Dental Plan I would have paid under $500.00. I might fly to FL just to have all my work done. It is much cheaper.

Check this site. You can also go in and see rices for the procedures.

Dental Insurance Alternative – Discount Dental Plans for Individuals and Groups

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM

One other thing: We would often give a "cash discount" to those patients who paid with cash/check who had no insurance. We did not offer it to them, but if they asked, we'd take 10% off. You could try asking if there is a discount available. The reason we did this is because when a dentist is contracted with an insurance company, they take a lower amount for each procedure for all patients affiliated with that company. So, for example, when a dentist might get $1200 for a root canal on a molar from uninsured patients, they may only get a total (insurance payment plus patient copay) of $850 from patients with XYZ insurance, IF they are in the network. If you know that your dentist participates in insurance networks (stickers on their front desk saying "we accept Cigna" or "We participate with Anthem BCBS" are a good clue!), you may try asking the dentist about it. Dentists who do not belong to any insurance networks are less likely to agree to a discount.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,246,129 times
I think it is because people don't feel obligated to pay them. People do not go to the dentist as often as to the doctor. Either every six months or when absolutely necessary. We have to go to the dr.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,293,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
GH-

I feel your pain. Check into Dental Plans for your area. They are not insurance. You pay about $130.00 per year and you get huge discounts at the dentists office. I am in TN and the border of NC. We don't have any dental plans. I had a root canal yesterday for $1050.00. And they want to do more work on that tooth.

If I used my old FL dentist with my Dental Plan I would have paid under $500.00. I might fly to FL just to have all my work done. It is much cheaper.

Check this site. You can also go in and see rices for the procedures.

Dental Insurance Alternative – Discount Dental Plans for Individuals and Groups

Good luck.
I tried that in my state. There are plenty advertised, but every single one I contacted that actually called back wanted to sell me a medical or life insurance plan instead. I never did get any response regarding dental only plans.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,296,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I tried that in my state. There are plenty advertised, but every single one I contacted that actually called back wanted to sell me a medical or life insurance plan instead. I never did get any response regarding dental only plans.

What state are you in? I know they really do work and can save you thousands. This morning I called my dentist in FL. He would charge me on my plan $600.00 for a crown and the post would be $135.00 out the door and no hidden charges. My local dentist in NC $1050.00 for a crown and the post is $326.00.

Keep trying. If you can find a good dentist that offers "plans" not insurance it is so worth it. I need 2 crowns and I am seriously thinking of going to FL to get them done. Along with my yearly cleaning.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Before you fork over money for one of those reduced payment plans, be sure that your preferred dentist takes them... in my experience (working in the field), typically (but not always) the sub-par dentists (as well as the dental clinics) tend to take them to make up for not having enough patients otherwise. If your dentist takes them, then that's great, but don't buy first and then try to find someone who will do the work for substantially less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health