Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 PM

43 posts, read 207,091 times

Advertisements

I am concerned. I have a front upper tooth that was root cannled 2 years ago becuase of decay and needing a crown. Apparently this was not cleaned out well by the Endodontist or the general DDS. It has now abcessed and loose. I have been on 10 days of Augmnetin 500 x 3 a day. I saw the oral surgeon yesterday as he wants to pull the tooth on Tuesday and place an implant immediately. (past implants with another surgeon we had to wait 3 months after extraction) I was told that many DDS do this now. Can someone enlighten me if this is OK in view of infection and will the implant take? Thanks much. I am very concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
If they can do it, DO IT! You don't want to be running around without a front tooth! It's fine, as long as there's enough bone for an implant to "take". Your dentist won't do it if it can't be done. Do it!
You don't want to look like a toothless country bumpkin, do you? It's Ok!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macymaid View Post
I am concerned. I have a front upper tooth that was root cannled 2 years ago because of decay and needing a crown. Apparently this was not cleaned out well by the Endodontist or the general DDS.
It has now abscessed and loose.
I have been on 10 days of Augmnetin 500 x 3 a day. I saw the oral surgeon yesterday as he wants to pull the tooth on Tuesday and place an implant immediately.
(past implants with another surgeon we had to wait 3 months after extraction) I was told that many DDS do this now.
Can someone enlighten me if this is OK in view of infection and will the implant take? Thanks much. I am very concerned.
How loose is the tooth? extremely or slight? How expensive is the implant?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,572 times
As a dentist I'll give you my opinion based on what you typed. There are no guarantees with root canals, meaning even if an endodontist or a general dentist did the root canal there could still be infection present at the apex of the tooth. I tell my patients that the only way the infection will go away is by either extracting the tooth, or doing root canal therapy on the tooth with a course of antibiotics, and even with the root canal therapy that doesn't mean the infection will go away. It may subside for awhile, but trust me when I tell you I've seen root canals done 10 years ago and there's still alittle infection at the apex, even though the patient doesn't feel anything. Now, in regards to the implant. If the tooth is extracted without complications, meaning it comes out all in one piece with nothing left behind and the socket is maintained, then yes, let the oral surgeon place the implant immediately! Why wait and let the bone heal, only to have to go back in again and drill another hole into the bone, there's already one there. This is why they are telling you to do it now, they will sink the implant and possibly place extra bone around the implant. The worst that could happen is the implant might fail, but then again the implant might also fail if you wait for the bone to heal and then place the implant. Either way, I would give it a try now. And ask the dentist or oral surgeon if they can make you an interim maxillary denture (flipper) in the meantime so you can walk around with a tooth there, unless they are going to immediately load the implant, meaning they will put a temporary abutment there with a fake tooth. My brother had an implant placed not too long ago and it failed, meaning the body rejected the implant and the dentist had the take the implant out. Bottom line is, give it a try, see what happens. Sinking an implant is no more traumatic than taking out a tooth! By the way, I prescribe my patients Augmentin as well and let me tell you that stuff works wonders, most of my patients love it. Good with whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Thank you all. Here it is midnight and I have not slept even though I am trying to. But, I saw your posts and feel better. Yes, the tooth (#7) is loose, not a lot but there is some movement. I saw the Prostodontist yeaterday and there is a flipper already made for #11 that I had an implant there in January.. (no infection).(that tooth just fell out years ago) he will add a tooth for 7. Implant in January and on Tuesday are 1700.00 each. (Given a discount) Then the restorative woek, 6 months later, the Prostodontist said about 1300.00 more, each tooth. 6,000.00 for #11 and 7. My poor hubby.....and we are retired. Never again a root canal. No. 11 was a root canal also. With this economy I am grateful for the discounts that these DDS are giving me. The fear I had mostly was an immediate implant upon extracting an abcessed tooth and not giving that area a time to heal. The fistula is still there on the upper gum and very painful. It has been there off and on for 2 months now but in the past 2 week..it is not leaving even with the Augmentin. You people are very kind to respond to "this ole scaredy lady" here in Texas.

Last edited by macymaid; 02-27-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: spell error

Old 02-28-2009, 09:28 AM

Update: My hubby has vetoed immediate implant on an abcessed tooth. He said he is paying the bills to these DDS and he wants all infection cleared and re-evaluation on bone condition before an implant. He is disgusted that #7 failed in 2 years time with a 900.00 root canal and a 1,000.00 crown and 300.00 post and core due to the decay not being cleaned adequately. Always something. He now wants me evaluated by a periodontist.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,375 times
When you consult with the periodontist, see if you can also consult with an endodontist. I know that some patients have had good results with an apicoectomy and a retrograde filling (they lift up a flap of the gums, drill into the bone, take off the infected part of the apex of the tooth, and pack any open canal space with a filling from the top of the tooth) and a bone graft (synthetic bone). At the endo office where I worked, sometimes they did this alone, and sometimes the periodontist next door would also come and work her magic at the same time (not sure exactly what she did differently).

I personally would try to save the tooth if at all possible instead of getting an implant. With all of the money you have put into it, though, you might feel differently.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you all. Here it is midnight and I have not slept even though I am trying to. But, I saw your posts and feel better. Yes, the tooth (#7) is loose, not a lot but there is some movement. I saw the Prostodontist yeaterday and there is a flipper already made for #11 that I had an implant there in January.. (no infection).(that tooth just fell out years ago) he will add a tooth for 7. Implant in January and on Tuesday are 1700.00 each. (Given a discount) Then the restorative woek, 6 months later, the Prostodontist said about 1300.00 more, each tooth. 6,000.00 for #11 and 7. My poor hubby.....and we are retired. Never again a root canal. No. 11 was a root canal also. With this economy I am grateful for the discounts that these DDS are giving me. The fear I had mostly was an immediate implant upon extracting an abcessed tooth and not giving that area a time to heal. The fistula is still there on the upper gum and very painful. It has been there off and on for 2 months now but in the past 2 week..it is not leaving even with the Augmentin. You people are very kind to respond to "this ole scaredy lady" here in Texas.
My question is if the tooth isn't that loose than why do the implant? Why not just crown it? Could they not put in a pin to stabilize it if the stability is a concern than cap over it? allot cheaper.
Obviously the Augmentin is not working for your infection. Might call them and tell them you want something different.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM

When the fistula was discovered by the female chair side Prostodontist gal, last week (after I complained about #7 since Xmas) he took an x-ray and said it needed an apico. He sent the x-ray to the Endo who did the root cnal on that tooth for severe decay (2 1./2 years earlier) and the Endo called me and told me to see an oral surgeon as he does not do apico's anymore. I called the oral surgeon and so did the protodontist and I saw him on THursday,. He immediatley told me that the tooth had to be pulled as it has already a post and core in it and he cannot do an apico with this stuff in the tooth. I was concerned about the infection/fistula and he said once the tooth is out..the infection comes out also. I feel some infection may still be left in there and hubby is tearing his hair out over this tooth and another tooth that was implanted in Janaury. I am 71 years Young and have 4 heart stents and am concerned about this infection in that tooth (7) and possible bone loss. I was switched to Amoxcillan late Thursday as the Augementin has done nothing. My husband has an e-mail into a female perio lady whom he claims is the "best lil DDS in the country"..LOL I would Love to save this tooth and I think perhaps she may well be able to pull something back and clean this tooth and re-crown with a better dental lab. I heard there are high and middle grade and low grade dental labs. No telling where #7 crown is classed. You cannot know how much I appreciate all your kind and helpful remarks. There are so many "not so good" people out there but you people are the best. I wish I could re-pay you. God Love You....I will keep you all posted.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
When the fistula was discovered by the female chair side Prostodontist gal, last week (after I complained about #7 since Xmas) he took an x-ray and said it needed an apico. He sent the x-ray to the Endo who did the root cnal on that tooth for severe decay (2 1./2 years earlier) and the Endo called me and told me to see an oral surgeon as he does not do apico's anymore. I called the oral surgeon and so did the protodontist and I saw him on THursday,.
He immediatley told me that the tooth had to be pulled as it has already a post and core in it and he cannot do an apico with this stuff in the tooth. I was concerned about the infection/fistula and he said once the tooth is out..the infection comes out also.
I feel some infection may still be left in there and hubby is tearing his hair out over this tooth and another tooth that was implanted in Janaury.

I am 71 years Young and have 4 heart stents and am concerned about this infection in that tooth (7) and possible bone loss.
I was switched to Amoxcillan late Thursday as the Augementin has done nothing.
My husband has an e-mail into a female perio lady whom he claims is the "best lil DDS in the country"..LOL
I would Love to save this tooth and I think perhaps she may well be able to pull something back and clean this tooth and re-crown with a better dental lab.
I heard there are high and middle grade and low grade dental labs. No telling where #7 crown is classed. You cannot know how much I appreciate all your kind and helpful remarks.
There are so many "not so good" people out there but you people are the best.
I wish I could re-pay you. God Love You....I will keep you all posted.
If you are concerned about your heart call your heart Dr.
I am suspicious of them saying that the infection will be gone with the tooth pulled? Also with bone loss it makes doing a implant difficult because if am remembering right they afix it to the bone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health