U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM

8,262 posts, read 15,879,709 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This Friday I am having my teeth out and getting dentures. Any advice on making this as easy as possible? Things to avoid doing or eating? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM

298 posts, read 892,400 times
I've had a front tooth removed that had a broken root and it was painful for quite a long time after however mu husband had a wisdom tooth out and he had no pain. Go figure!

Start taking pain killers before the anaesthetic wears off and take it every 4 hours (can actually alternate 2 hourly with advil/tylenol). My favourite fixative was the little strips/not the cream but try lots of different things to find your favourite.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM

325 posts, read 2,697,281 times
If possible, take Ibuprofen 600mg 1 hour prior to the appointment, then every 6 hours. It increases bleeding, but not by much. The benefit is less post-op pain. Dentures are a PITA until you get used to them, and they'll especially be uncomfortable for the first week.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,159,716 times
Do as they instruct you for the aftercare.. You may need pain killers, you may not, that depends on your tolerance for pain. When I had all mine pulled and got dentures, I suffered with the numbness and once that wore off, I had no pain. But my Mama always told me to AVOID sweets after a tooth extraction.. Sugar gets in there and the pain will KILL you!

If they sew up the gums when they pull them, you should not have any problems with sever pain, just soreness and getting use to the dentures.

Don't try to eat while your mouth is still numb.. LOL! That is a really funny story I'd rather not go into.. Lets just say you will store food like a hamster.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,208,029 times
Whatever you do don't use a straw or remove the gauze too soon and be very careful when you eat and what you eat. You could give yourself dry socket and that's excruciating and can be very hard to get rid of. It usually takes a flushing of the socket. Not fun. It happens more in the bottom teeth than the top. Maybe try to stick to liquids for at least 48 hours b'c it's so easy to get food particles in the socket. I know this b'c I had some dental tech training. Also, when they fit you for the dentures, be sure to push up on the impression plate with your tongue to the roof of your mouth as firmly as possible so you get a more secure fit. Techs don't often tell you that and you could get loose fitting dentures.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,116,222 times
Well, I'm going back quite a few years but all I can say is, if dentures are fitted immediately following extractions, you won't know the difference. I was also given crushed ice to put in my mouth immediately after waking up, (yeah, I was a whimp), for a while to set the blood clots and minimise bleeding. I don't remember any pain or aching after extractions at all though. The front 4 or 6 teeth in the top plate had rather large points on them though so they would maintain the 'sockets' in the gums, which aids in the 'good' fit of dentures. I hope you have your wisdom teeth already cos if not they may come through within weeks of the extractions, that's what happened to me and I had to return to get those ripped out as they interfered with the new plate. I don't know how old one has to be to get all their wisdom teeth, I was 21 at the time. Stick to soft foods for a while to eliminate chewing which will prevent the breaking of the blood clots in the sockets too, obviously toast is out for a while.

Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,879,709 times
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the responses. I am pretty much a woos when it comes to dentists. I have saved some Vicodins from my last dental work. Hopefully that will help with the pain. I'm also hoping that i will use this opportunity to begin eating less and maybe lose a few pounds. Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 PM

22,363 posts, read 21,377,719 times
Talk to your dentist or oral surgeon about anxiety and concerns about discomfort after the procedure. I was flipping out about a procedure that I had to have done last year, crown lengthening, and he gave me a few prescriptions to take care of the matter. I was to take an anti-anxiety tablet about an hour before appointment time, another medication when he was ready to see me (don't remember) and I had the medication for pain with me so that I could take one right after. It didn't cost much at all because I only got two pills each of those first two medications - one to take and an extra in case I dropped one in the toilet, which is the sort of thing that would happen to me.

Do you have enough Vicodin and is the prescription fairly recent? Make sure that he knows what you're taking; don't medicate yourself.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 PM

242 posts, read 1,033,878 times
Default Debtures and teeth removed

Strange, I was raading a bunch of websites on this yesterday. Some people told stories and they were so funny! I read where this one lady said she gagged al the time, so she said she did not think she could ever wea dentures. and I read that dentures take awhile to get adjusted too. I had a friend and she told me her son could not chew with his and afraid to go back to the dentist. I read that you have to keep going back to the dentist because your jaw bone keeps shrinking. So that would mean you would have to be measured for new dentures all the time. What a problem that must be. and the goop or what they use to hold the dentures in place. =========================================== Also there is a book out called I CAN'T CHEW

Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

242 posts, read 1,033,878 times
Default Dentures and tooth removed

I CAN'T CHEW, it is about receipes, just put that in for a search online. It is also for people with swallowing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health