U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
JL JL started this thread

6,273 posts, read 6,270,633 times
Default Anyone try prescription toothpaste?

I told my friend about my sensitive teeth. My teeth can feel the somewhat cold and lukewarm water when i have water in my mouth. I used sensodyne toothpaste, but it doesn't seem to alleviate much of the sensitivity. My friend told me that there is a prescription toothpaste out there called PrevDent made by Colgate. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I might have to go to a dentist and find out. I am hoping maybe there is an OTC for this product or sold online. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,569,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I told my friend about my sensitive teeth. My teeth can feel the somewhat cold and lukewarm water when i have water in my mouth. I used sensodyne toothpaste, but it doesn't seem to alleviate much of the sensitivity. My friend told me that there is a prescription toothpaste out there called PrevDent made by Colgate. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I might have to go to a dentist and find out. I am hoping maybe there is an OTC for this product or sold online. Thanks.
I had a lot of dental work done a couple of years ago with an amazing dentist.
After all of that work i had a tremendous amount of sensitivity and still do for various reasons.
I'm probably overdoing it regarding the use of fluoride but that's another issue.
Anyway, from my dentist (and i don't know whether or not it's actually prescription but i've never seen it online or sold over the counter) i get Fluoridex toothpaste (Fluoridex Daily Defense - Sensitivity Relief) and i use it daily and it works very well.
I'd also find out if your sensitivity issues are an indication of teeth/gum issues that you need to address.
I put off necessary dental work for 3 years and paid a huge price.
Fortunately i had a very, very good dentist.
Good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM

420 posts, read 1,255,751 times
I'm a dentist and I prescribe Prevident5000 quite frenquently to my patients. Colgate has Prevident5000, Prevident5000Sensitivity and Prevident5000 Dry Mouth. One of the main ingredients in Sensodyne and Denquil toothpaste is pottasium nitrate will helps occlude the dentinal tubules, basically the openings in the dentin that leads to the sensitivity. I use Prevident5000 every night as a regular toothpaste, and my prescription plan didn't cover it, and I paid $16 for it.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
JL JL started this thread

6,273 posts, read 6,270,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I'm a dentist and I prescribe Prevident5000 quite frenquently to my patients. Colgate has Prevident5000, Prevident5000Sensitivity and Prevident5000 Dry Mouth. One of the main ingredients in Sensodyne and Denquil toothpaste is pottasium nitrate will helps occlude the dentinal tubules, basically the openings in the dentin that leads to the sensitivity. I use Prevident5000 every night as a regular toothpaste, and my prescription plan didn't cover it, and I paid $16 for it.
As a dentist, couldn't you get a better deal than $16? I paid 12 bucks for mine(Prevident5000 Booster) while visiting the dentist with no insurance. The bottle is somewhat small too. Before all this, i had used Sensodyne and also the Pro Enamel Sensodyne and it didn't work. I am gonna use Prevident from now on since i am afraid of getting gingivitis years down the road.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 PM

19,979 posts, read 19,766,076 times
I have been using Prevident 5000 for several years with great results, no more cavities! I buy it from my dentist for $15, no prescription needed.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 23,368 times
Does anyone can tell me if Colgate Prevident 5000 plus is the same one that offers canadian online pharmacies? I've always bought my prescription toothpaste on CVS or Walgreens, but they gave me the generic one called "Denta 5000 plus" or "SF 5000 plus". One time I bought through a canadian online pharmacy the "original brand name" (apparently) Colgate Prevident 5000 plus, but the pain in my teeth came back again. For that reason I was wandering is there any mayor differences between American Colgate Prevident (the one sold through prescription only) and the Canadian one?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 AM

420 posts, read 1,255,751 times
I would definitely use Prevident5000 these days because since I've been moving around the past few years I don't know if some of these townships have fluoride in their water system, better to be safe than sorry. No, that's what the pharmacy told me it costs, which I have no problem paying for, it's well worth it in the long run!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM

13,199 posts, read 4,781,660 times
My dental hygenist told me last week to switch around on using the toothpaste for sensitive teeth since the body gets use to one brand. I use Creat for sensitive teeth since that is the free sample I got at the dentist's. I have also used Sensodyne. My dentist has never recommended the prescription paste so don't know about it. My crowns have receded so that is what bothers me. I may be able to get a filling on top where the gum is exposed. Funny thing is it doesn't hurt the tooth where the receding is occuring but the pain is in another tooth that has absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 22,946 times
Maybe the other tooth has a crack in it. They can be difficult to diagnose and most of the time an xray will not show it. You can get a crack on a tooth even if it has never had a filling. If it is a cracked tooth, the only way to fix it is really to crown it. The crown keeps the tooth from trying to wedge apart when you chew and solves the problem.
Kimberly W. RDH

Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 AM

13,199 posts, read 4,781,660 times
I can see fine cracks on my front teeth. I probably have cracked teeth since I grit my teeth at night when I sleep. I do have a mouth piece but rarely use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health