Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 AM

226 posts, read 786,834 times

Advertisements

So I let my dentist convince me to have some periodontal deep cleaning on two areas of back molars. I had not had any previous pain, sensitivity or discomfort in these areas, but at a routine cleaning when they check the "pockets" around your teeth, I had a couple of "6s". So I had the deep cleaning done. Since that time (about 3 weeks ago) I have had discomfort that comes and goes during the day, sensitivity when flossing in those areas (kinda like the floss is touching a nerve). I have an appt to go back next week and I doubt he's going to admit that the "deep cleaning" had anything to do with these new developments. I also have a feeling he's going to tell me I need a root canal on this tooth now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times
A needed deep cleaning can temporarily expose new areas and make them sensitive.

Unless you got a second opinion before doing the work, it's hard to know if it was appropriate.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

47 posts, read 104,586 times
Yes. My guess is you probably get annual x-rays as well. Probably try and upsell you on the clear coat too. Can't bilk the insurance company if there's no patient activity.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM

36 posts, read 94,347 times
If you have 6mm pockets, then you have "Severe" Periodontal disease. It is likely that the biofilm and goop that had accumulated on those roots were insulating the tooth from air. Now that the tooth is smooth and not insulated, it hurts to air!! Try some anti-sensitivity toothpaste and/or some really high concentration fluoride (5000ppm), and try to ignore people like the post above me.

Hang in there. This is a serious disease that did not grow to this severity overnight, and you won't be like a healthy 16 year-old over night, either. All you can do to save these teeth (and hopefully shut down your immune system's all-out blind assault on these tissues as well as other organs) is to keep them as spiffy-clean as possible! You can do it!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,714,115 times
I would not go back to him. Just research online and I think you'll see that there are many natural cures for your problem. I'd try all natural remedies first. If that didn't work, I'd go see Dr. Fleming, in Durham. He's a dentist that uses natural procedures as much as possible.
best,
toodie

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

36 posts, read 94,347 times
toodie, there is nothing un"natural" about scraping off accumulated debris. No rinse will remove irritants from the last millimeter of a pocket compared to mechanical removal. I can point to a few decades of research to support this. Without mechanical removal, you may as well take that money on "natural" things and flush it.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccall View Post
toodie, there is nothing un"natural" about scraping off accumulated debris. No rinse will remove irritants from the last millimeter of a pocket compared to mechanical removal. I can point to a few decades of research to support this. Without mechanical removal, you may as well take that money on "natural" things and flush it.
You are correct.

Now, we once encountered a crooked dentist who told my wife she needed lots of perio work.

When he wouldn't do a pre-determination for insurance, we got another opinion that said no work was needed.

Eighteen years later, still not needed.

Without a dentist you can trust, a second opinion on major work is wise.

Our current dentist tries to help you stay healthy both dentally and economically. If he says you need work, the only response is "When can you do it, Dr. Devine".

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,334,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I would not go back to him. Just research online and I think you'll see that there are many natural cures for your problem. I'd try all natural remedies first. If that didn't work, I'd go see Dr. Fleming, in Durham. He's a dentist that uses natural procedures as much as possible.
best,
toodie
My best friend is a hygienist for Dr. Fleming and people from out of state seek him out! I learned from her when she cleaned my teeth in school that I was a 1 and 6 was the worst. I don't have any advice for you as what kind of care you need since it is pretty severe, I just know that 6 is bad and definitely do what you can to take care of them. I remember her telling me that when teeth get really bad there is calculus build up and that was literally holding some peoples teeth in. Everyone take care of your teeth, as it not only effects your mouth but the rest of your body too! Good luck!

And BayVillage, if your dentist denies that it led to sensitivity I find that odd since it's pretty obvious and I would probably find a new dentist for that reason alone (lying). Use toothpaste for sensitive teeth until they feel better.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,714,115 times
dmccall,
Yes, I know that having dental cleanings and taking good care of your teeth is NOT unnatural. But there are preventative measures a person can take to prevent problems. I guess that's what I was referring to.
Dr. Fleming is one of the dentists in this area who stays informed on natural healing techniques, not only in regard to a person's teeth and gums, but the total health of the patient. I saw him on a local cable station and was impressed.

Also, another opinion is always a good thing, imho
Especially when something upsetting happens, like with the op.
best,
toodie

Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM

4,137 posts, read 4,845,343 times
Getting a second unbiased opinion from another dentist is never a bad thing.

It's funny how one dental office will say you need work costing several thousand dollars, but another dental office has a different opinion and says the work isn't needed.

This seems to be very common in this area for some reason. It's all about finding a dentist you feel comfortable with and can trust their diagnosis and treatment.

I've been to too many dental offices in this area that seem to be more concerned about generating revenue for the office than whether the patient really needs to have the work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health