Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

Swallowing the contents of a tube of toothpaste can absolutely positively cause some effects of fluoride poisoning.

However, sane people don't squirt the contents of toothpaste in their mouths and swallow it. Not even sane children do that. They might ingest the half inch that you normally smear on a toothpaste by mistake, but that half inch doesn't contain enough fluoride to cause even so much as a tummyache.

I like Tom's toothpaste, but when I use it, I also use a fluoride rinse once a week. I don't drink tap water because ours tastes like crap, so I don't get much fluoride in the first place. Usually though I just use normal toothpaste you get in the supermarket, with fluoride. Saves me a lot of money and so far it keeps my good teeth in good condition. Flossing is also important.

The point with fluoride, is that you shouldn't be swallowing high concentrations of the stuff. And you certainly shouldn't be swallowing fluoride toothpaste or rinses. If you're swallowing that, then you have more important things to worry about than whether or not you're going to be poisoned by fluoride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,984 times
I don't drink tap water because I don't like the taste of it (chlorinated and floridated = ). I do use regular toothpaste several times daily, but I use baking soda and a little peroxide once a week.

As a mouthbreather during sleep, with OSA, I use a CPAP machine, which can really make my gums inflamed, so I'm dilignet about brushing and flossing. But I have found that since doing the baking soda & peroxide mix once a week I've had extra good results and my teeth feel like they do after a visit to the dentist.

I'm thinking about doing it every night, but the taste has kept me at once a week! blegh I can't imagine how much worse soap would be!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
anyone try this, i just stumbled upon it and did some looking around, apparently its really great and works really well. Anyone try this?

True teeth care - re-enamalize naturally | 100777.com
Brushing teeth with bar soap, tastes bad but works well...
Google Answers: OVER SENSITIVE MOUTH

Tooth Soap for Healthy Teeth and Gums

On a side note... there is very large amount of evidence that fluoride only does harm and it makes sense to me.. so i figured it wasn't put into tooth paste anymore.... nope... (read the label on my toothpaste... and half the information is talking up how it does great things...) note to self, read ingredients on consumables..
I have used soap from time to time. The soap that you buy at health food stores are specially formuated to not taste bad.

The fact of the matter that even more important than brushing your teeth with soap is to keep your mouth in an alkaline state. Loss of tooth enamel is caused by acidity in foods (and beverages). You can remineralize your teeth with proper care. Purchasing a toothpaste with ACP (anhydrous calcium phosphate) is very helpful also. But the most important thing is acidity. Acidity will destroy your dental enamel. Oh, yeah and fluroide is POISON so putting it in your mouth is really NOT a good idea AT ALL.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have used soap from time to time. The soap that you buy at health food stores are specially formuated to not taste bad.

The fact of the matter that even more important than brushing your teeth with soap is to keep your mouth in an alkaline state. Loss of tooth enamel is caused by acidity in foods (and beverages). You can remineralize your teeth with proper care. Purchasing a toothpaste with ACP (anhydrous calcium phosphate) is very helpful also. But the most important thing is acidity. Acidity will destroy your dental enamel. Oh, yeah and fluroide is POISON so putting it in your mouth is really NOT a good idea AT ALL.

20yrsinBranson
Ingesting concentrated doses of fluoride is a bad idea. Putting non-concentrated, small amounts of fluoridated substances in your mouth, then spitting the substances back out when you're done, is not harmful. The amount of fluoride in a half-inch of name-brand fluordated toothpaste isn't enough to give you a stomach ache, even if you were to inadvertently swallow it by mistake.

Lots of things are poison. And yet they are useful in medicines. Nitroglycerine can blow up your house. But if you have heart problems, it can save your life by swallowing it. Foxglove is a poison. It can also keep a heart patient alive (digitalis is derived from foxglove). Nutmeg is a highly potent neurotoxin, yet a pinch of it is delicious in a big piping hot cup of mulled applecider.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
My dentist recommended tartar control toothpaste, which really works, Ive been tartar free about 7 years. Also, not all public water supplies are fluoridated, so you need to make sure your get your fluoride from toothpaste.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Interesting thread. I would try a homemade soap for brushing teeth, however, rather than the commerically produced soaps that are loaded with petroleum products.

For instance, my soap is made with olive oil, apricot oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil (for the suds) and cocoa butter. I use lye (which is 'eaten' up during the soapmaking process).

That all said, if you are old enough (like me) you will remember that the introduction of fluoride into city water supply and toothpaste did drastically cut back on cavities. As a youth in the 1960s it was simply normal that grandparents had false teeth (or simply no teeth). I am now 55 and I have full confidence that I will keep my teeth to death (I had a boatload of caveties as a child in the 1950s/1960s).

Now, it is real news around the house when one of my great nieces or nephews has a cavity.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Yes, I've brushed my teeth with Lava soap for several years while in the service. Didn't taste very nice but my teeth were clean!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, I've brushed my teeth with Lava soap for several years while in the service. Didn't taste very nice but my teeth were clean!
Well sure, 600 grit does wonders for removing stains, enamel .

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
I brush with a toothpaste with flouride and an electric toothbrush. No cavities in a long time. Flossing is the best defense against gingivitis and cavities on the surfaces between teeth. I do not have gingivitis either.

Flouride works so well to prevent cavities it put whole dental schools out of business. (Plagued by Falling Enrollment, Dental Schools Close or Cut Back - New York Times .

I remember having flouride sprayed on my teeth when I was a child.

It's safe and it works. Just don't eat the toothpaste!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I alternate between gel and paste. I use the paste for its abrasive qualities, but then switch to a tube of gel to give my teeth and gums a rest from the abrasion.

Before about 1950, there was no paste. People used Tooth Powder, which came in a sprinkle can like a salt shaker. You shake some out in the palm of your hand, dip your wet toothbrush in it, and brush with that. My mother mixed baking soda in with hers.

You can brush your teeth fine with a dry brush, but it does nothing to freshen your breath. The natural fluids in your mouth do a decent job of keeping it clean, but if you have a snack every two hours or so, the materials that decay teeth keep getting replenished. Especially if your shacks are always soft processed foods that require no chewing.

If you are without a toothbrush, you can do a pretty decent cleaning job with your fingers---just brush your teeth with your fingers instead of the brush. The human hand is a miraculously efficient device for doing just about anything that a tool can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health