U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-09-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Reputation: 910

Advertisements

X-Ray of the RCT/Crowned molar they want to extract, taken several months ago

The molar on my lower right had a root canal and crown done at a very reputable dental clinic in NW Nassau several years ago. Before the root canal the tooth was giving me pain due to a cavity that went too deep, after the RCT I had no problems with the tooth, until late this summer, I had swelling (but no pain) in the gum around the tooth. An X-Ray was taken and the dentist said there was an abscess there, it was drained, and I was put on Penicillin for 2 weeks. The swelling went away. I go for a return visit today, and the dentist said the tooth still needed to come out. They didn't take another X-Ray, but according to the endo on duty, he stressed it needed to come out soon. It was also said that the dentist that performed the root canal went too deep with the posts and this is the reason why the abscess formed and why the tooth needs to come out! Why are they in such a rush to take it out? The dentist I have for this year (its a clinic so they rotate dentists) said that it is still infected, and that this infection eats bone. She the contradicted herself and said that the infection will return, eventually. They are stressing me getting it pulled ASAP because the longer I wait the harder it will be to put an implant in. But implants aren't covered by my insurance, and I still haven't finished paying off the Root Canal/Crown. Which brings me to my other point. While my dentist is very nice, the folks in the office got mad when I told them I wasn't going to give them any more money for the RCT that was done wrong. It was done wrong. It's not like a piece of electronics repair, teeth are not user-replacable. Then they have the NERVE to still want money. Well they aren't getting anymore money from me. After awhile it sunk in the REAL reason they want the tooth removed, so they can do implants and make even more money from me! It aint happening folks. Short of any pain or swelling problems, I think I'm going to leave this tooth in. Its not bothering me, so if it aint broke down fix it. Am I doing the wrong thing? Should I see a lawyer? I dont want to sue, I just want them to get off my back about the $700 balance they still want from me! The nerve, after they botched the job they still want $$!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 PM
 
14 posts, read 113,630 times
Reputation: 33
Hi, I have posted in recent weeks about a root canal that I had a couple of months ago that apparently didn't get rid of an infection that I have, and my dentist suggested pulling the tooth because I have been in a lot of pain. I was all set to do that but the kind folks on this board convinced me to get a SECOND OPINION. I went to an endodontist who thinks he can get rid of the infection by redoing the root canal. So it will cost me a lot more money, but if it works, I can keep my tooth! So, long story short, go to another endodontist and see what they say. The root canal might be able to be retreated. Also, in regards to the money already spent...call their billing office and see about a partial refund since the root canal failed.

I am having my root canal redone in a couple of weeks and I REALLY hope it will fix everything! Please cross your fingers for me!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Reputation: 12313
I am not a dentist so I can't comment on what they did/are doing. However, what's wrong with a permanent bridge instead of an implant? It used to be cheaper. I have had one for close to 30 yrs (due to a baby tooth w/no permanent tooth under it finally coming out) and I have had no problems with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,550,887 times
Reputation: 2738
I am not a dentist, but I worked for an endodontist for several years. The root canal itself looks okay to me... but the distal post (the one towards the left on the xray) does not even look like it's in the canal, and looks like it may even be perforating the root. Did the same dentist do the root canal as did the posts?

I'd go for a second opinion... maybe an endodontist can remove the post, then patch the hole surgically? I'm just stretching here... that may not even be an option at all, but I think you should look into every option that might be available. I agree that I'd rather try to save the tooth than have it extracted and an implant placed, if at all possible! An endodontist is not going to make any money off of you if you get the tooth extracted, though, because they don't extract teeth nor do they place implants... so I wouldn't worry about that being a consideration in what they tell you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I am not a dentist so I can't comment on what they did/are doing. However, what's wrong with a permanent bridge instead of an implant? It used to be cheaper. I have had one for close to 30 yrs (due to a baby tooth w/no permanent tooth under it finally coming out) and I have had no problems with it.
The bridge wont be covered as well. Its not cheap, and the dentist said that the other teeth to the side of this one could be harmed by it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollbaby24 View Post
Hi, I have posted in recent weeks about a root canal that I had a couple of months ago that apparently didn't get rid of an infection that I have, and my dentist suggested pulling the tooth because I have been in a lot of pain. I was all set to do that but the kind folks on this board convinced me to get a SECOND OPINION. I went to an endodontist who thinks he can get rid of the infection by redoing the root canal. So it will cost me a lot more money, but if it works, I can keep my tooth! So, long story short, go to another endodontist and see what they say. The root canal might be able to be retreated. Also, in regards to the money already spent...call their billing office and see about a partial refund since the root canal failed.

I am having my root canal redone in a couple of weeks and I REALLY hope it will fix everything! Please cross your fingers for me!
Well, good luck! I should go for a 2nd opinion I guess. They definately wouldn't refund any money, they want more money! Which is why I'm thinking of legal action.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I am not a dentist, but I worked for an endodontist for several years. The root canal itself looks okay to me... but the distal post (the one towards the left on the xray) does not even look like it's in the canal, and looks like it may even be perforating the root. Did the same dentist do the root canal as did the posts?

I'd go for a second opinion... maybe an endodontist can remove the post, then patch the hole surgically? I'm just stretching here... that may not even be an option at all, but I think you should look into every option that might be available. I agree that I'd rather try to save the tooth than have it extracted and an implant placed, if at all possible! An endodontist is not going to make any money off of you if you get the tooth extracted, though, because they don't extract teeth nor do they place implants... so I wouldn't worry about that being a consideration in what they tell you.
You hit the nail on the head, the post was put in wrong. I definately need to think about going somewhere else for my dental work now. There's supposed to be so much oversight at this clinic (North Shore Univ. Hospital at Manhasset Dental Dept) so how did such a mistake happen? Yes the same dentist did everything and was overseen by an Endodontist. I know the endo wont make any $$ off an extraction and implants, but you better believe the clinic will! All they seem to care about is $$.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,550,887 times
Reputation: 2738
Oh, I see what you mean about them making money now. I did not realize the endo was part of the clinic. This is a dental school? Yikes! I too would think that they'd be well supervised! See if you can get an opinion from an endodontist that is not part of the clinic, if at all possible.

Edited to add: If you have dental insurance, you may be able to get them involved. If another endodontist says that the posts caused the problem, talk to someone at the dental insurance company to see if they have any advice for you. Also, depending on your state, you might be able to pursue waht is called a "peer review" if there was negligence or malpractice on the part of the original dentist. My guess is that even mentioning that you are looking into the peer review procedure might change the dentist's mind about pursuing the rest of the balance.

Here's the Peer Review process for New York: http://www.nysdental.org/for_the_pub...cords.cfm?ID=8
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,413,823 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Oh, I see what you mean about them making money now. I did not realize the endo was part of the clinic. This is a dental school? Yikes! I too would think that they'd be well supervised! See if you can get an opinion from an endodontist that is not part of the clinic, if at all possible.

Edited to add: If you have dental insurance, you may be able to get them involved. If another endodontist says that the posts caused the problem, talk to someone at the dental insurance company to see if they have any advice for you. Also, depending on your state, you might be able to pursue waht is called a "peer review" if there was negligence or malpractice on the part of the original dentist. My guess is that even mentioning that you are looking into the peer review procedure might change the dentist's mind about pursuing the rest of the balance.

Here's the Peer Review process for New York: New York State Dental Association: For the Public - NYSDA, dental, find a dentist, need a dentist in New York, new, york state dental association, hygienist, oral health care in New York State, dental education, teeth whitening, oral health, sugarles
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Reputation: 12313
I don't know that I'd trust the original clinic to tell me that a bridge would harm the surrounding teeth. I think you need an outside opinion.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top