Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times

Advertisements

Oh Please, I have DD also, and had to pay so much out of pocket, I am still paying for it.
Kill me now, and I mean it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,982,839 times
I've had DD in the past and didn't have much issue with it. Being the mistrustful person that I am I made sure I read all the limitations on procedures I expected to have and then double-checked with the dentist's billing office.

Truth is I WISH I still had the dental insurance. It's ALL out of pocket now for me.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
My dentist told me to look into Aetna Access dental plans. It is not insurance, but it provides negotiated rates for procedures. The rates are low, and he claims it works out better for the patient than most insurance plans.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,555,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My dentist told me to look into Aetna Access dental plans. It is not insurance, but it provides negotiated rates for procedures. The rates are low, and he claims it works out better for the patient than most insurance plans.
I'll have to check into that, wonder if it's available in addition to Delta? My Delta only pays a small amount each yr. (this yr. it's either $1250 or $1500 total, I forget) - if you need a crown or two, or root canal - you'll pay.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Wow, I just got screwed by these guys. My job provides dental insurance via these guys and I had a dentist visit about 6 months ago. Well, when I was seeing if my insurance would cover it, they said it did and I only had to pay my part which at the time was only $500.

So I paid it and thought I had nothing else to be paid until I started getting these bills from my dentist. So I finally upped and called them to see what was going on and apparently, there's a one year waiting period for it, something that wasn't mentioned.

The receptionist said I was one of the cases involved in the mix, so apparently I'm not the only one. So now I've got to shelve out $500, but the dentist office was willing to work with me on it.

*sighs*
I so feel for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM

883 posts, read 516,573 times
I am retired and have medicare with a supplemental HMO from Humana Gold Plus and it said it covered dentures
But when I went to get my dentures the in net work dentist said
that the code for the dentures was wrong in the book and that he used different
material for his dentures and I would need to pay 100%

So be careful with what the Insurance book says on your HMO's and PPO's.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,509,931 times
I have an Aetna DMO through work and while the selection of dentists have been limited the premiums are less than the standard dental insurance and I have been basically pleased with the work.

My husband only had to pay $350 for a partial plate with precision fittings.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
I've sometimes wondered if dental insurance was the test bed for the insurance companies to see how deeply they could rip off the consumers on regular individual insurance and get away with it. I've seen a number of plans and none of them are reasonable in premiums or payouts. The ways of handling dental are quickly devolving back into get the teeth pulled and use full mouth dentures like were common fifty years ago, go to a dental school, or go to Mexico. Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 PM

325 posts, read 2,990,921 times
Unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure whether the insurance company will cover a particular procedure or not. The best thing you can do is get a "pre-determination". It's a document submitted by the dental office (or you) that outlines what the proposed procedure is. The insurance company will send back a letter outlining whether the procedure is an approved one, and what the company will pay and what you have to pay. Keep one thing in mind: this is not a guarantee of benefits. You'll hear this often.

What if you call the insurance company and ask? First thing you hear is: this is not a guarantee of benefits. Calling helps, but get it in writing.

How about asking the dentist's billing office? Again, the insurance company is the final say on what's covered, so go directly to the source.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,018,861 times
I've had two different Delta plans in the past. I never had a problem with them. Dentists, doctors, etc. are not the best people to talk to when you need to know what your plan covers, how it works, etc. You need to talk to the plan itself. This applies to any medical coverage. Both times when I signed up for Delta, it was pretty clear in the paperwork that there was a waiting period before more expensive services would be covered.
I'd love to have Delta again. My current employer does not offer any dental.
I don't mean to be unsympathetic. It is incredibly frustrating to deal with insurance companies, and all their rules and regulations, especially when you are not feeling well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health