U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM

989 posts, read 2,100,592 times

Advertisements

Dentist/Periodontist is recommending me to get dentures... I've always had nice teeth and people used to compliment me occasionally. No matter how hard I've tried to take care of them they have been going downhill. Now, they have declined... he said its genes, lack of flouride (well water), and possibly not enough vitamin B. I take vitamins every day.

Anyways, has anybody here been through getting their teeth pulled and dentures inserted? I don't know what to expect...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 PM

509 posts, read 1,036,342 times
I know someone who has them. Cost about $2500 (not including teeth pulling). It was a relief for him because his teeth were very painful. It's a bit harder to chew with them, sometimes the glue dosen't hold. Sometimes they cause him a bit of mouth pain. Everyone compliments his perfect smile, they look very real.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I know someone who has them. Cost about $2500 (not including teeth pulling). It was a relief for him because his teeth were very painful. It's a bit harder to chew with them, sometimes the glue dosen't hold. Sometimes they cause him a bit of mouth pain. Everyone compliments his perfect smile, they look very real.
Thanks for the info Sheridan... I'm looking for anyone who has gone through it too. I can't believe it has come down to this after taking good care of my teeth for forever.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM

731 posts, read 1,516,699 times
Keep your bottom teeth as long as you can. My Mom has genetically bad teeth and her dentist convinced her to pull all of them and get dentures when she was in her mid-50's or so. She doesn't mind the uppers so much but the lowers bother her a great deal. Her lowers weren't really in that bad of shape - I think it was just easier on the dentist to make a full set rather than expend extra effort to match the bite on the denture to her natural lowers.

Also, if you can swing it financially, as your dentist about using bone graft material to fill in the sockets left when he pulls your teeth. This will harden into bone and preserve your ridge thickness.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Keep your bottom teeth as long as you can. My Mom has genetically bad teeth and her dentist convinced her to pull all of them and get dentures when she was in her mid-50's or so. She doesn't mind the uppers so much but the lowers bother her a great deal. Her lowers weren't really in that bad of shape - I think it was just easier on the dentist to make a full set rather than expend extra effort to match the bite on the denture to her natural lowers.

Also, if you can swing it financially, as your dentist about using bone graft material to fill in the sockets left when he pulls your teeth. This will harden into bone and preserve your ridge thickness.
Thanks for the reply Mary... the bone graft material is interesting, I'll bring that up next visit. I might be getting a pin implanted to help keep the lowers... low. I'm around 50 and its genetic for me too...

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM

5,164 posts, read 10,324,536 times
I know someone who got dentures. First of all, don't expect your first set of dentures to fit correctly. They can't really get a good impression until your teeth have all been pulled. My friend's didn't fit at all (they were too big for his mouth), so he had to start from scratch with a brand new dentist, and the entire process took about six months. In the meantime, he couldn't eat solid food, so he lost about 25 lbs. Some diet! I don't know if everyone's experience is the same; he's the only person I knew who had this done - at least that I know of, anyway.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 PM

746 posts, read 2,311,307 times
I've been through the denture process, it was no picnic. But it was ultimately worth it. And if you have to use denture glue/grip afterwards, you have a stinko dentist. Dentures are supposed to stay in place naturally. Mine do, and have for more than 30 years. Same set. Suction is created in a properly fitted plate so no glue is needed. And if the mouth changes, the denture can be relined to keep the fit strong. Relined twice in the interim.

The extraction of the remaining teeth is the least pleasant part, even with novacaine, gas, whatever they give people these days - perhaps IV's?

There will be discomfort for a while while the gums heal, but you will soon have the new teeth and learn to use them which can take a few weeks. Ultimately you won't even think about them.

It is a shame that so many of us end up with them, but the one benefit you should remember is that you will never see a drill or other implement coming at your mouth again.

When the dentures are in, you are pretty much done with the dentist.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 70,006 times
Just got mine and I know what your friend went through, as I tell my friends new mouth great for the diet. LOL Glad to know in a weird way it isn't just me with the toooo big dentures and liquid diet

Old 03-23-2010, 02:28 PM

6,314 posts, read 3,304,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlitbit View Post
Just got mine and I know what your friend went through, as I tell my friends new mouth great for the diet. LOL Glad to know in a weird way it isn't just me with the toooo big dentures and liquid diet
Just got mine last Friday. Did nothing for my diet since I learned to adapt by gumming a variety of foods. Oh that should have been a toothless grin, my bad.

Anyway, today I went without my bottom as my bottom is so soar from chewing on crackers and the one food I've missed the most, Shrimp. I guess I over cooked the shrimp. I know it's going to take a while to get used to these bottoms. I will be going in for an adjustment soon, hopefully that will help with the fit.

They will seem really weird at first, after having your teeth missing for so long and suddenly having a mouth full, it will feel like your tongue is being smothered. At least that's how my mouth felt. Then again, I have a big tongue. I know I drove my dentist crazy, as I just keep saying they don't look right and making a fuss. But, now the more I look in the mirror, the more they grow on me. Believe it or not, no one even new I was missing my bottom teeth until I told them. Even though people liked my smile, my top row is what always shows. It doesn't even feel right to smile so wide that both rows show. Maybe that will change in time.

I lost my teeth early due to medical problems and I've met other people in the same boat, but I always dreamed of having all my teeth pulled and replaced. so I'd never have to hear that darn drill again. I couldn't be happier about having my teeth gone, i'm weird like that. I'll adjust just fine to the discomfort. There are worst things in life to lose. No matter what, I can still have Ice cream and chocolate.

Last edited by TRosa; 03-23-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,536,433 times
Look around in your area for a place called "Affordable Dentures". Affordable Dentures, dental implants, tooth extraction, partial dentures

I have used them and they are great people, do great work and I only paid about $350 for my uppers that the dentist wanted mega bucks for. They only charge about $60 a tooth to pull them and can even do the implants to keep your dentures in place if that is what you want. (Implants are also for the lower dentures and I talked to a lady there one day that had them and she loved them)

They sell different packages so you can go cheap or expensive and relining is free. If you need glue or something to hold them in, they are not fitting properly and need to be relined. I went back several years later to have mine relined after I had lost a lot of weight and they did it for free because I hadn't had them relined since I got them and I had lost weight. They usually only reline for a year for free.

Now, I had all my (upper) teeth pulled and dentures put in the same day and that is the way to go! The hardest part is getting use to something in your mouth that you are not use to having. They feel HUGE, but you do get use to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health