Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, too much floride can cause that discoloration...one of my kids friends has "spotted" teeth---
Your dentist should be able to tell you what's going on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM

421 posts, read 2,528,081 times
Over time your front teeth become transparent, meaning you can see right thru the enamel. The white patches you probably see on your front teeth are decalcification spots, meaning your teeth are losing minerals in those spots. MI Paste works good, has extra calcium and phosphate, more than in regular toothpaste, and it's not OTC, ask your dentist if he/she has it. If a tooth starts to rot from the inside out that may mean resorption, possible root resportion. As we age, the pulp tends to recend down further into the tooth. If there's trauma to the tooth, or if there's decay, sometimes the pulp tissue will recend or move down further into the tooth. Sometimes when I do root canals on older individuals the pulp tissue is way down there, whereas if I was to open up a tooth on a healthy young individual the pulp tissue would be higher up in the tooth, so that's normal. If the pulp tissue dissolves the tooth may become necrotic over time. Over time you lose enamel on your teeth, meaning more dentin, which is a different color, shows. I use Prevident5000, it's a highly fluoridated toothpaste that has more fluoride than regular toothpaste. Every once in a while I'll also use MI paste, which as stated before has more calcium and phosphate, minerals we need for healthy teeth. Hope all the information helps. By the way, I'm also a dentist so don't be afraid to ask questions if needed.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 11,078 times
hey i'm 18, and it seems i have the same semi tranparency problem with my teeth, but the thing is the transparency only occurs where my teeth are revealed when my mouth is open when asleep. so i'm assuming somehow that as the air is passing in and out of my mouth as i'm asleep is passes through the teeth, causing something. Calcium toothpaste sounds like a good idea, would calcium supplements work also?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM

923 posts, read 2,409,981 times
I am having the same problem with the bottom edges of my top front teeth turning transparent. I asked my dentist about it a few months ago and he brushed it off saying it just happens to some people as they age, but said my teeth were in perfect health. He said it's due to things like foods that are highly acidic -- soda, fruit (especially lemons), sour candy etc.. When I was a kid & teen, I used to eat lemons like people would eat oranges. Now it's coming back to bite me, I guess.

My dentist shaved off the bottom edges of my top front teeth and the problem was gone, but a few months later, the transparency came back. I can't keep shaving my teeth away so I need to find a solution because now I'm noticing that the inner edges of the two front teeth are also transparent.

I'm thinking about having a dental bonding procedure done which would run about $600 and would need to be redone every 6 or 7 years. I just need an extra layer of something to make the teeth look thicker. Bonding is a much cheaper and less invasive solution than veneers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health