Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is an x-ray necessary every time you go to the dentist?
No 22 78.57%
Yes 4 14.29%
Maybe 1 3.57%
I'm not sure 0 0%
Other [in comments] 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

Do you believe it's necessary to get an x-ray done every single year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
I believe once a year is fine. The radiation from a dental xray is next to nothing. I visit the dentist twice a year; March and September. In March I get xrays in September I do not. Do I do believe an annual xray is necessary to detect cavities, but I visit the dentist more than once per year so I voted no, that it is not necessary at every visit.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I get one every years simply because when God gave out good teeth I was in the next room. But I do pull the "apron" up over my thyroid. Paranoid and there is cancer in my family. Not taking any chances.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I'm not too concerned about the radiation, more the cost.
Sure my mom has dental insurance and I'm covered but I think it's pretty unnecessary to get one every year.

I think it's just a cash cow for dentists. When I went to the oral surgeon, he charged me for an "examination" when he didn't even look inside my mouth. I can understand charging for an X-ray because he did take one but think of how fast the $ can ring up when EVERY dentist does that when it's NOT necessary...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Do you believe it's necessary to get an x-ray done every single year?
Since everyone changes year to year so why would a dental x-ray even be a questionable topic?

How else is the dentist to know your real dental health unless they use this old line ultra dependable method of looking to see your teeth, gums and jaw?

This question is much to do about absolutely.......nothing!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I think it depends on the person.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think it depends on the person.
Allow me to politely and strongly disagree. There are few, if any, humans that can judge the conditon of their oral health unless pain tells them something is wrong. THAT is the function of a dentist and the x-ray.

What some may not know is that there is a proven link between heart health and your oral health since the mouth is a gateway for all sorts of germs and other bad stuff to enter into the blood stream to be carried straight to the heart.

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/hear...ral_health.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dental/DE00001

http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm (broken link)

To make that point even stronger I have to have my oral health in tip top shape before I could have my knees replaced in 2004. The doctor refused to cut on me until my mouth was pristine.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-x-rays-when-get-the (broken link)

"The frequency of getting X-rays of your teeth often depends on your medical and dental history and current condition. Some people may need X-rays as often as every six months; others with no recent dental or gum disease and who visit their dentist regularly may get X-rays only every couple of years."

I fall under category B so I get a 36 month window. I never had a cavity in my life but one tiny one of the side of a back molar from a braces ring.

Yeh...you can get major complications if you don't. My mother needing some work done actually made her find issues she did not know she had because she had veneers done + had gum disease from smoking. Her teeth felt sensitive, but otherwise she would of not known.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,265 times
My parents were very concerned with the idea of kids getting too much radiation from dental x-rays, so they never let me get routine x-rays at the dentist. My dentist always protested but my parents never gave in. Throughout my childhood I maybe had 7 total x-rays of individual teeth--just the ones that needed to be filled. I never had routine full mouth or bitewing x-rays. I always wore the lead apron and thyroid shield, and still do when I get dental x-rays.

I'm now in my 30's and don't have any dental problems. Not having the routine dental x-rays did not cause any problems at all. I do not get routine dental x-rays as an adult. I don't see the point whatsoever. DNA damage can occur even with the most minute amounts of radiation.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I go in routinely twice a year for cleanings, Xrays are usually taken once a year. I've needed fillings and root canals too so there were Xrays for that. My husband has had less trouble with his teeth, but even for a cleaning he has to take an antibiotic first because he had a knee replacement. My brother had back surgery and also has to take an antibiotic first. The cleaning can unleash toxins into your system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health