U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM

72 posts, read 161,579 times

Advertisements

Is the move to Colorado all you hoped for? Once you are there is the Job market more accessible? Less than the daily Bay Area grind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM

369 posts, read 840,268 times
The move has been very good. Being 2 hours from friends and family was a lot harder than we thought. When we first moved here, we ended up seeing the ocean a lot more than we did when we lived in the Bay Area because we'd make a point to see it when we went back. The weather wasn't a big deal for me - I hate the rainy season in the Bay Area, I like lots of sun. Lack of ethic/racial diversity was a shock, it's very homogeneous here. The political diversity is fun, not everyone is a bleeding heart tree-hugger. The crazy, open minded, let's do 'big random thing because it's fun' isn't here, but people in general are very nice and open to transplants (because a huge percentage of the population here are transplants).

In software, from what I've seen, out of state resumes have very little chance of getting anywhere. Once you're local and have built up a network, the market is good - easy to being a big fish in a small pond kind of thing. If you're not good at what you do or you leave a trail of destruction behind you, then the fact that it's a very small town and backdoor references will really hurt you.

The lifestyle here is pretty sweet, especially if you have kids. It's way laid back compared to Silicon Valley. The public schools are hit or miss, the state in general avoids taxes like the plague and so there isn't a lot of public investment (like MA or MN). People move here to enjoy the mountains and the weather, not to slave away in the code mines. Employers here don't expect fanatical allegiance and priority over family. The flip side is that the opportunities to make serious amounts of money aren't as easy - there's no Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. here. It's kind of like being an actor somewhere other than Hollywood, or a publisher outside of New York - you can do it, but the driving engine of the industry is elsewhere. There's a decent startup community, but startups tend to exit to Silicon Valley once they get to a certain size (Brightkite, Associated Content, Photobucket, etc).

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 AM

5,757 posts, read 9,438,421 times
For my line of work (IT) the Bay Area is much better.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM

369 posts, read 840,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
For my line of work (IT) the Bay Area is much better.
The term "IT" can mean a wide range of things, can you be more specific?

And are you talking about Denver or Grand Junction?

And how is it better there? Have you worked in both places?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM

5,757 posts, read 9,438,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
The term "IT" can mean a wide range of things, can you be more specific?

And are you talking about Denver or Grand Junction?

And how is it better there? Have you worked in both places?
Well, there's no IT to speak of in Grand Junction so I'm talking about Colorado vs Bay Area. There's a lot more jobs and active hiring in the Bay Area, all across the board. When I say IT I mean all aspects of IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver