U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,089 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi Folks!

Lots of questions!

I'm 50 and considering a move to Denver to work near the Convention Center. I need a quiet and safe neighborhood with an easy commute. Rent around $800 for a 1 bedroom. Clean and updated with washer/dryer in the unit.

I'm concerned about snow shoveling my car out to get to work. I've seen past snow storms on TV for Denver and don't think I can handle digging out my car. So do you know of condos/apartments that have underground apartments?

I'm not sure that I want to live in the city, so please give recommendations that would be an easy commute.

If you know of any places that are for seniors, that would be great too.
My thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk100 View Post

I'm concerned about snow shoveling my car out to get to work. I've seen past snow storms on TV for Denver and don't think I can handle digging out my car.
I have parked outside every single night over the past three years, and not once have I had to "dig out" my car. When it snows, you brush it off and scrape it if necessary -- no shovel needed, you should be able to drive over/through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,089 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have parked outside every single night over the past three years, and not once have I had to "dig out" my car. When it snows, you brush it off and scrape it if necessary -- no shovel needed, you should be able to drive over/through it.

Hi! That's good to hear. Thank you so much for the information about the snow. I was afraid of packed snow on the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
 
299 posts, read 630,371 times
Reputation: 171
It snows a lot in the winter, yes, but it's generally not a 'dig out' situation (like the above post said). Having lived in Boston, the snow situation is much less miserable here than it is there

You can probably find an apt with a garage, though, and that really makes things easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
Reputation: 6928
Working near the convention center,downtown, is easily accessible by public transit--you do not need to shovel your car out, because you would not need to drive. Just pick from the numerous neighborhoods in the city or the suburbs that have frequent public transit to downtown and leave you car home. There is a commuter rail station right at the convention center which is very convenient.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,089 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
It snows a lot in the winter, yes, but it's generally not a 'dig out' situation (like the above post said). Having lived in Boston, the snow situation is much less miserable here than it is there

You can probably find an apt with a garage, though, and that really makes things easier.
Thanks. I think it has been the past season where there was a lot of snow and it showed the mountains of snow on the cars. I guess that is unusually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,089 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Working near the convention center,downtown, is easily accessible by public transit--you do not need to shovel your car out, because you would not need to drive. Just pick from the numerous neighborhoods in the city or the suburbs that have frequent public transit to downtown and leave you car home. There is a commuter rail station right at the convention center which is very convenient.

Livecontent
Hi, I'm looking into public transit access too. But I have a disability that limits my mobility so that's why I think I'll need to drive mostly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk100 View Post
Thanks. I think it has been the past season where there was a lot of snow and it showed the mountains of snow on the cars. I guess that is unusually.
Not so unusual, but a long-handled brush (or some sweater or jacket-covered arms) handles that. Some people don't even bother brushing the snow off their cars, they wait for it to blow or fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk100 View Post
Hi, I'm looking into public transit access too. But I have a disability that limits my mobility so that's why I think I'll need to drive mostly. Thanks!
We are in the same slow boat. I am disabled and have mobility disorder. I would suggest you look into the Access a Ride para-transit that is operated by RTD. If you are certified, you will be picked up and returned to your house for a few dollars. In addition, you are given a free bus/rail pass to use when you have the ability to use normal public transit and a discount on a cab, if necessary. Be sure to live in the boundary served by this ADA service. Even if you drive, this service can help as a good backup.

Note that this is not the same as a discount card for the elderly, over 65, and the disabled. That is a different program and only gives you a discount on all services.

RTD is very proactive in supporting the disabled. All buses have lifts and all commuter rail have ramps for disabled access. The public transit is extensive, clean and safe--it would be foolish to ignore the advantages it would give you.I written much on this; do a search on my posts.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33082
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk100 View Post
Thanks. I think it has been the past season where there was a lot of snow and it showed the mountains of snow on the cars. I guess that is unusually.
Yes, it's unusual. It's rarely necessary to dig out one's car. Perhaps once a year or so, sometimes not for an entire winter. We rarely shovel our driveway as it faces south; ditto my friend whose driveway faces west. The sun usually comes out after a snow and does significant melting, even if it's below freezing.

Denver Snowfall Statistics 1882-2010

Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top