U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 74,590 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Thornton, but I'm not sure wear I should live. The well-known hip,walkable neighborhoods seem to be south of downtown. However, I don't like commutes (even short ones) and I don't need to be where all the young professionals are. All I want is a historic-ish neighborhood with a local coffee shop, restaurant, and maybe a yoga studio nearby. Is there anything like that north of downtown Denver? Maybe the old downtown of one of the suburban cities?

Some details: Single female professional, mid-thirties, rent $1000-$1500. If you're familiar with Minneapolis, I used to live in Uptown and Linden Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,295,247 times
I would look into Old Town Arvada. I'd also look into some of Denver's northern neighborhoods such as Berkley, Sunnyside, Tennyson, Highlands, City Park, Uptown and Stapleton.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
The northern suburbs are mainly newer sprawling residential neighborhoods, especially in Thornton. You are not going to find that type of walkable neighborhood in those areas. If you need a short commute, unfortunately those old neighborhoods, that have been mentioned, are not going to work.

The only areas that would be a semblance would to try to live near a bigger shopping area. I would suggest that you really look into some of the newer developments up north. You need to really consider the newer faux urban developments that have a semblance of a walkable main street and the upscale shops and restaurants that you want. I would suggest this development in North Westminster, Orchard Town Center

Welcome to The Orchard Town Center, Westminster, CO

and the Westminster Promenade

http://www.thewestminsterpromenade.com/

The nearest old town city center near Thornton would be old town Westminster,in the southern part of the town, near West 72nd., from Lowell to Federal. It is old and in transition Westminster Revitalization

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-23-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,670,324 times
Look at the Highland neighborhood on the hill just northwest of downtown Denver. It's under 10 miles from Thornton and you'd be going against traffic.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM

694 posts, read 1,788,966 times
Bradburn Village in Westminster (10 minutes to Thornton) is a walkable neighborhood with its own downtown area which includes both a yoga studio and a coffee place as well as other restaurants and shops. Has rental apartments in that price range and also some townhomes.

It is not historic as it is new, but built in neotraditional style.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,037,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyaura View Post
I'm considering taking a job in Thornton, but I'm not sure wear I should live. The well-known hip,walkable neighborhoods seem to be south of downtown. However, I don't like commutes (even short ones) and I don't need to be where all the young professionals are. All I want is a historic-ish neighborhood with a local coffee shop, restaurant, and maybe a yoga studio nearby. Is there anything like that north of downtown Denver? Maybe the old downtown of one of the suburban cities?

Some details: Single female professional, mid-thirties, rent $1000-$1500. If you're familiar with Minneapolis, I used to live in Uptown and Linden Hills.
If you can manage it before deciding to take the job, why not take a quick visit to the Thornton area to see if you like it ? 120th at I-25 has a plethora of hotels. You can take a cab over to Thornton and then walk around the neighborhoods near your potential work. Sounds wierd, but sounds kind of fun too.

If you don't want even a short commute, it seems to me that you would rent somewhere as close to work as possible. If you don't like it there, you can easily move after your lease is up.

Technically, anywhere in an urban/suburban neighborhood is walkable as long as it isn't some crime ridden hood. There are just some places where it isn't very convenient to be without a car. I'm not overly familar with Thornton, but I don't think it has any real bad hoods. But, I don't think there's anything historic there either. It's a standard post-WWII midwestern suburb. Yeah, Wikipedia says it was all farmland back in 1952. I remember city center Thornton being solidly middle class suburbia.

Washington St. is the main boulevard of Thornton, and will have the most shopping amenities such as coffee shops. Google maps says there are no yoga studios in Thornton. Nearest one mapped is up towards 120th and Federal towards Broomfield and others are a little further west on 120th. It's got to be that Boulder influence thataway.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,037,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Bradburn Village in Westminster (10 minutes to Thornton) is a walkable neighborhood with its own downtown area which includes both a yoga studio and a coffee place as well as other restaurants and shops. Has rental apartments in that price range and also some townhomes.

It is not historic as it is new, but built in neotraditional style.

Yeah, if yoga studios indicate the kind of neighborhood she would like it looks like west of Thornton in Westminster/Broomfield is her best bet. The place you mention is on 120th west of Federal.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 74,590 times
Thanks everyone! Looks like I need to check out the Highlands neighborhood and west of Thornton in Westminster/Broomfield. And I agree with Davros...its probably smartest to initially live very close to work, and then get to know the city to find the right neighborhood for me. But now I have a couple of areas to explore while I'm there.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 PM

39 posts, read 77,297 times
Hi Happy Aura,

I think everyone hit the best spots pretty accurately - I sent a long message to you in your personal mailbox, but thought I'd summarize a bit of it here. As someone else posted, it sounds to me like you'd want to land in Berkeley/ Sunnyside/ Highland (NW Denver) or the near northeast area - Uptown/ City Park West/ Whittier. The only old town area north of town that has what you describe is Arvada, as someone referenced earlier.

If you really want to geek out on neighborhood facts (admittedly, I do this at times), check out the Piton Foundation website - Home. You can search neighborhoods around Denver, cross-referencing them with other neighborhoods.

Best of look in your search.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or