U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Edgewater, CO
531 posts, read 916,523 times
Reputation: 642

Advertisements

Neither the Arvada line or DIA line are light rail lines. They are heavy commuter rail lines running EMUs. There is a significant difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Neither the Arvada line or DIA line are light rail lines. They are heavy commuter rail lines running EMUs. There is a significant difference.
I know the difference.. I've used heavy rail commuter trains to get from Orange County to downtown L.A., and then one on Long Island into Manhattan. But in Denver's case, will the cost to ride be the same as light rail? I haven't heard that mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 23,369,436 times
Reputation: 4519
Here's the trains RTD will be using on the commuter lines..


SEPTA Silverliner V's on Media/Elwyn Train 9359 at Swarthmore in HD - YouTube


SEPTA Hyundai Rotem Silverliner V #816 departs Bryn Mawr - YouTube


SEPTA - Hyundai Rotem Silverliner V #811 Rearview Video from Wynnewood to Haverford - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,717,916 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know the difference.. I've used heavy rail commuter trains to get from Orange County to downtown L.A., and then one on Long Island into Manhattan. But in Denver's case, will the cost to ride be the same as light rail? I haven't heard that mentioned.
Gotta bump this. I too have had difficulty finding any real information on what the cost of our commuter lines is going to be, at least in relation to our light rail costs. We do, as a city, already pay more per trip than many other cities, and I suspect it would be highly discouraging to a lot of riders if the commuter lines, which don't cover significantly more area than the light rail, bore a higher cost per trip.

That said, I haven't had the opportunity to participate in any of RTD's hearing and Q&A type sessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Reputation: 7732
Yuck, that rolling stock like so 1970s. I hope RTD's order ships with something a bit more modern. Those trains look a little bit too boxy for the 2010s. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 23,369,436 times
Reputation: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yuck, that rolling stock like so 1970s. I hope RTD's order ships with something a bit more modern. Those trains look a little bit too boxy for the 2010s. Just sayin.
Its Asian , Asian Trains are boxy , European trains are round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its Asian , Asian Trains are boxy , European trains are round.
It's an Asian Company, but those are not Asian trains. Anybody who has ever been to Asia knows that they have the best trains in the world. Hyundai would never ever be allowed to even bid on a system anywhere in Asia with old crap like that. Here is what they use in their own market, which is what RTD should be ordering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 23,369,436 times
Reputation: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It's an Asian Company, but those are not Asian trains. Anybody who has ever been to Asia knows that they have the best trains in the world. Hyundai would never ever be allowed to even bid on a system anywhere in Asia with old crap like that. Here is what they use in their own market, which is what RTD should be ordering.
Thats High Speed Rail , which is always curvy. Commuter and Urban Rail in Asian is boxy and much of the Northeastern us due to the Bulk of trains needed to be produced in a short time. Curvy Trains are more expensive , thus reversed for HSR in Asian or the US. Most Asian trains are boxy , although the newer trains have a curved window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats High Speed Rail , which is always curvy. Commuter and Urban Rail in Asian is boxy and much of the Northeastern us due to the Bulk of trains needed to be produced in a short time. Curvy Trains are more expensive , thus reversed for HSR in Asian or the US. Most Asian trains are boxy , although the newer trains have a curved window.
Streamlined trains are not limited to hight speed rail. RTD rejected several proposals for non-boxy trains for the Airport line. Here in California most of the commuter rail service uses streamlined trains, and they are just slow crappy DMUs. No where near as fast as RTD's plans for the Airport line.




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 AM
 
779 posts, read 2,256,922 times
Reputation: 840
"The lightrail system is really efficent, especially for me this past year- but it mostly services the southwest suburbs (Littleton, Englewood), the area directly around the old rail line and I-25, all the way to downtown. It doesn't really do much for the city of Denver itself, which is probably where it's needed most."

I agree, and the I-25 location means that rail stops often aren't near much of anything. Imagine if a N-S line had been built along Broadway or Logan Blvd - what a difference would have made - increased vitality along that dense corridore, new high rise apartments and condos, infill along Broadway.

And if, on that imaginary N-S line, the fare from Wash. Park to and from downtown were set at $1.50, the lines would be packed. (And if you want to get really crazy, imagine the growth and infill if the inner zone were $1.00 - or free.)

So I see Denver's light rail, at least along the I-25 corridore, as something of an urban planning failure, a failure to support and encourage Denver's transformation to denser, more urban city, rather than just playing along with and encouraging sprawl. It seems like transportation planners saw the problem light rail could solve as being traffic, when actually, the problem is spread out suburban development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top