Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM

299 posts, read 712,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariafraietta View Post
It's not that expensive to add AC here; especially in a newer home. I don't know how much your earnest money is, but don't lose it over AC!! On a typical 2000 sf newer home it'll cost you around 3-4K to add AC. I'd wait to see if you need it; you may be just fine without it. Live in the house for a year first and see which of the above-mentioned ideas will work for you!
Careful with that number, though. We bought a house in March with no A/C and we had a few estimates. This house is old and due to some of the specifics of the house, it would have cost at least 5k and probably 7k for a good quality A/C installation.

Still, it shouldn't be a deal breaker on a house unless there are some special circumstances, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 30,344 times
The only concern I would have would be with the water if you are on well water. Most of the natural gas drilling is concentrated north of Denver generally west of I-76 but Elbert has quite a bit now too and more often than not the local water table is destroyed.

Flammable Water Pours from Faucets in Colorado Home : Planetsave

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Bought a house two years ago without a/c. Installed a whole house fan and have generally been very comfortable. I would do it again.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 71,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
Careful with that number, though. We bought a house in March with no A/C and we had a few estimates. This house is old and due to some of the specifics of the house, it would have cost at least 5k and probably 7k for a good quality A/C installation.

Still, it shouldn't be a deal breaker on a house unless there are some special circumstances, imo.
Agreed--I live in an older home and my costs would be the same (they have to upgrade the electrical). I think the poster said the home was new, however. I suppose their type of ductwork is a factor--I'm assuming they have forced-air?

To the original poster--you can always get a quote for AC before you purchase the house. Just don't contract anyone to do it until you officially own the place!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM

369 posts, read 966,410 times
I'm in a 1958 ranch in Denver with no AC and have no plans to add it. We have a whole house fan and a swamp cooler that do the job (not at the same time - swamp cooler in the day and attic fan once the sun goes down)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Get a fan and window unit for specific rooms that do get hot.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 74,453 times
THANK YOU EVERYONE! I truly appreciate the feedback, advice. Inspection went very well today, and I learned that there exists 'plumbing' for A/C, etc., the builder (who had planned to live in the home) intended to live in it a year or so to decide whether a unit was needed. After all the helpful suggestions, I'm feeling A LOT better about the situation, understanding more about life in Colorado's climate. Truth is, I embrace the idea of doing without one more energy drain, another way to reduce our impact. Here in TX I keep our thermostat set high, 79 when hubby doesn't fuss about it, in the summer. I'd rather have it a bit warmer than face the big bill, and waste energy.

I LOVE the suggestion re: whole house fan and humidifier--I know nothing about that technology, but think we need to look into it. Sounds perfect, actually.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH and rep pts. for everybody, lol!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
No I would not. Nor would I look into anything except refrigerated air conditioning. Swamp coolers and other things just don't work (in my opinion.)

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM

369 posts, read 966,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No I would not. Nor would I look into anything except refrigerated air conditioning. Swamp coolers and other things just don't work (in my opinion.)
What experience with swamp coolers in the Denver area have you had?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I love my whole house fan - except for the noise issue (I believe formercalifornian has info on newer, quieter ones which would be well worth it IMO - there are several discussion on it - easy to do a thread search). We rarely need to use our A/C (but I am glad to have it) and the humidifier does help.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-25-2010 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver