U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM

25 posts, read 68,628 times

Advertisements

I am researching areas to move to, and in posts I've read, it seems the general consensus is to stay away from Colfax. But what does that mean exactly? I am horrible with north/south/east/west, especially since I don't know the area. So I was hoping for some specifics. For example, as it runs thru streets, what street starts and ends the bad area - as well as how far above and below - the name of the those streets that run parallell. That way I know what radius/blocks to stay away from.

Also, I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, no more than $850-$900 a month, in a clean, well kept, green, (most importantly) safe area close to downtown Denver (so I don't have to drive alot in the snow my first year there-haha). Suggestions? Does it exsist? I don't really care if it is residential, hipster, etc., although it would be fun to be close to shops, movies, etc...but again, not a must.

Thanks guys!!!

Tink from Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,391,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertea View Post
I am researching areas to move to, and in posts I've read, it seems the general consensus is to stay away from Colfax. But what does that mean exactly? I am horrible with north/south/east/west, especially since I don't know the area. So I was hoping for some specifics. For example, as it runs thru streets, what street starts and ends the bad area - as well as how far above and below - the name of the those streets that run parallell. That way I know what radius/blocks to stay away from.

Also, I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, no more than $850-$900 a month, in a clean, well kept, green, (most importantly) safe area close to downtown Denver (so I don't have to drive alot in the snow my first year there-haha). Suggestions? Does it exsist? I don't really care if it is residential, hipster, etc., although it would be fun to be close to shops, movies, etc...but again, not a must.

Thanks guys!!!

Tink from Cali
YES,Yes I lived in Denver 20 years.Colfax was seedy from one end to the other.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,391,553 times
Default good area

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
YES,Yes I lived in Denver 20 years.Colfax was seedy from one end to the other.
Southeast Hampden,Colorado Blvd,Monoco Blvd..This area has numerous apartments and nice park,Bible Park.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
The areas around DU and the Health Sciences Center have lots of apartments that are reasonable (for Denver).

Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,614 times
I agree the area along Colorado Blvd. from basically Hampden to Colfax has lots of nice, reasonably priced apartment and its a very clean area close to downtown and suburban amenities. About 5 miles from downtown but the traffic on the sidestreets in Denver isnt bad at all, its the interstates at the rush-hours where the traffic is fairly bad (by Colorado and a majority of the nations standards).

Also, Broadway to Downing from about 12th to Alameda is very close downtown, lots of character in that area, tons and tons of retail, restaurants and some movie theatres in that area and very close to downtown. Also, the area is very, very clean and well-kept and has a real neighborhoody feel with very nice apartment buildings.

Colfax is over-rated as a bad spot. Its really not a bad street and I have no idea why it has such a bad reputation. Maybe its nostalgia from years ago. But Colfax going through most of Denver is fairly clean, parts of it are a bit gritty but the grit is what gives Colfax its character.

Colfax is just lots, lots and lots of retail with some apartment buildings and motels and hotels. Its one of my favorite streets in-fact it isnt some bland characterless street with no pedestrians that is neatly manicured like alot of Metro Denver. I remember the good old days (several years ago) taking the 15 East Colfax from Downtown to the Aurora Mall and back sometimes and its interesting the people and characters you see along Colfax.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,050 times
It's only seedy with drug dealing from Broadway to about emerson along Colfax anymore. It's a big city street with prostitution. Otherwise Colfax is a happening street up to about colorado when it goes dead. There is a ton of cool shops, restaurants, bars, and music venues, including the famous tattered cover. A person could easily live in an apt and take the 20 or 15 bus into downtown within 5-10 mins no problem.

Plus, who says you have to live right on colfax.. 16th is very quiet and residential.. 17th has lots of great restaurants in its own right and is considered restaurant row.. and has the 20 bus line which is very quick into downtown.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,763,660 times
Don't worry too much about Colfax. The history of the place is more than the reality, and the cops have cracked down on much of the unsavory stuff going on there, though a little bit does continue on just east of the Capitol building. There is a lot of nighttime traffic/noise/shouting/etc. That would be my concern more than the crime. As long as you don't actually live right on Colfax, I think you're fine. Even one block to one direction or the other is probably fine.

As for places to live, all the places mentioned I think are fine. Try the area around the Governor's mansion around 8th and Pennsylvania. There are lots of apartments there. Technically, that area is still part of "Capitol Hill" but it's usually called "Governor's Park". It's a lot quieter than the areas near Colfax but still about as close a walk to downtown and to Cheesman Park.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,716,903 times
Actually, the worst part of Colfax is the Aurora section, from Yosemite to 225. Don't live there under any circumstances, unless you want to die. The Denver part runs through Capitol Hill, an up and coming area. Still, I can't imagine why someone would go out of their way to have a "Colfax" address???

I agree with MattDen (surprise!) about Broadway from the Golden Triangle area to Alameda. That's a neat, overlooked area. It's probably one of the most authentic urban neighborhoods in Denver. A lot of independent bookstores, coffee shops, guitar stores, "adult" themed businesses, neighborhood pizza joints, but it still has a gritty feel to it; it's not a perfectly manicured boutique neighborhood by any means. You'll have brand new high rise condos right next to turn of the century bungalows. Homeless people, yuppies, and everyone in between.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 AM

569 posts, read 1,050,200 times
Colfax isn't really bad until you get east of Quebec. I wouldn't want to live directly on Colfax myself, but I would consider anything that is a block away between Quebec and Downtown.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM

840 posts, read 6,054,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Colfax is over-rated as a bad spot. Its really not a bad street and I have no idea why it has such a bad reputation.
I agree. I really didn't see anything bad going on. I did see some cops at a motel that I'm pretty sure was on E. Colfax.

I also think Aurora is overrated as a bad area. Never seen such a nice 'ghetto'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver