Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times

Advertisements

I'm still stuck back on how you get lost leaving DIA. You can only GO one direction. I've never been to another airport where you are only able to leave in one direction. Combined with the abundance of signage and the city skyline visible in front of you getting lost seems, well, inconceivable.

After arriving and departing LGA over 30 times last year alone and taking public transportation half that time, I would gladly pay to block it from my memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Let me jump to the defense of the OP... Denver is not a cheap city to live in. Not like Columbia, SC to be sure. I think it's a misconception on the coasts that the cities of the interior west is an exceptionally inexpensive places. Compared to the SF Bay area and NYC, yes, it is cheap. But at least for housing costs, the market has placed a bit of a premium on western cities... not just Denver, but also pretty much any sizable city in the west. Compare that to most of the south or midwest, and Denver looks a bit pricey.

In defense of Denver/Boulder, the earning potential here is quite good by regional standards. Compare what most professionals can earn in Denver versus Boise or Albuquerque... there's just no comparison. Even so, I doubt that Denver offers the optimal salary versus cost-of-living/taxes calculation. The places that top that list tend to be regarded as "hardship postings."

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 AM

111 posts, read 313,992 times
I personally think that Denver CAN get pricey, it certainly has the potential. It's all about supply and demand. In New England where build-able land is scarce, the population must purchase older, established homes. In Dallas, the land is virtually unlimited, 30 years ago Plano was a bunch of dirt and sticks, now it's a huge suburban city that continues to expand upward into new budding towns like Frisco and Fairview, and it still remains dirt cheap, while being a mega-tropolis.

But back to Denver, it is an ever increasingly popular city, just look at all the people in this forum inquiring about moving here. There is a mix of lots of open land, but also enough demand for existing homes to drive up the prices. 30 years ago it was a small western city drawing off the tourism from the mountain resorts. Now people are realizing what a great year-round city it is with great schools, local culture and budding professional sports. It is really unfair to compare Denver to the likes of Boston, NYC, LA and SF. If you live in any of those cities, like myself (Boston), then sure Denver looks like a great bargain. But you must compare apples to apples. How does Denver compare to the mid-tiered cities such as Austin, Phoenix, Asheville, Sacramento, Portland, cities like that. But when you start doing that, it all comes down to personal preference anyways.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM

299 posts, read 712,158 times
I did an analysis of the earning vs. expenses of Denver vs other cities, and it fared quite well. Strong salaries (not the best, but good) and inexpensive housing (not the cheapest, but cheap), and low taxes (not the lowest, but low) makes for a good situation overall.

I still don't buy the idea the Denver is a city that has 'great' culture, restaurants, vibrancy, diversity, and other such things that you see in other, bigger cities. It's too far from the ocean and doesn't have the right history to have a truly diverse and vibrant population like some cities. And, Denver just isn't a destination for great musicians and chefs, etc. - there are some, sure, and it's not hard to find a great restaurant in Denver but it's just not a leader in those cultural categories.

It does offer a good 'package' though, overall. My favorite thing about Denver is that it's a big enough city to offer everything I need but it still has a mellow, relatively slow-moving feeling to it. Life here is much easier than in most cities I've lived in (which is quite a few!). Safe, fairly clean, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM

85 posts, read 333,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I did an analysis of the earning vs. expenses of Denver vs other cities, and it fared quite well. Strong salaries (not the best, but good) and inexpensive housing (not the cheapest, but cheap), and low taxes (not the lowest, but low) makes for a good situation overall.

I still don't buy the idea the Denver is a city that has 'great' culture, restaurants, vibrancy, diversity, and other such things that you see in other, bigger cities. It's too far from the ocean and doesn't have the right history to have a truly diverse and vibrant population like some cities. And, Denver just isn't a destination for great musicians and chefs, etc. - there are some, sure, and it's not hard to find a great restaurant in Denver but it's just not a leader in those cultural categories.

It does offer a good 'package' though, overall. My favorite thing about Denver is that it's a big enough city to offer everything I need but it still has a mellow, relatively slow-moving feeling to it. Life here is much easier than in most cities I've lived in (which is quite a few!). Safe, fairly clean, etc.
Right On! I couldn't have said it any better. Its a great city overall with a few minor annoyances such as the airport being too far away from the city center and high water costs (I re-verified this with residents who now live in the suburbs). But obviously this is balanced by other good features as you have pointed out in your post.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I'm still stuck back on how you get lost leaving DIA. You can only GO one direction. I've never been to another airport where you are only able to leave in one direction. Combined with the abundance of signage and the city skyline visible in front of you getting lost seems, well, inconceivable.

After arriving and departing LGA over 30 times last year alone and taking public transportation half that time, I would gladly pay to block it from my memory.
OK. Here is the link to the post from my last visit to Denver The most user unfriendly airport. Period.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Let me jump to the defense of the OP... Denver is not a cheap city to live in. Not like Columbia, SC to be sure. I think it's a misconception on the coasts that the cities of the interior west is an exceptionally inexpensive places. Compared to the SF Bay area and NYC, yes, it is cheap. But at least for housing costs, the market has placed a bit of a premium on western cities... not just Denver, but also pretty much any sizable city in the west. Compare that to most of the south or midwest, and Denver looks a bit pricey.

In defense of Denver/Boulder, the earning potential here is quite good by regional standards. Compare what most professionals can earn in Denver versus Boise or Albuquerque... there's just no comparison. Even so, I doubt that Denver offers the optimal salary versus cost-of-living/taxes calculation. The places that top that list tend to be regarded as "hardship postings."
Thank you for your support. It is absolutely true that most people in the South East think that cities in the intermountain west (except for the resorts) are cheap to live in. Its regular water cooler conversation especially among the younger workers who know somebody who "moved out west" and is enjoying a great quality of life. This perpetuates the myth that western cities are a bargain to live in.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
... Denver just isn't a destination for great musicians and chefs, etc. - there are some, sure, and it's not hard to find a great restaurant in Denver
Wish I felt this way... but trying about 2 new places a month over the last 8 months (most of them voted "Citys Best" or some-such, well reviewed) and we've been to exactly 1 that we'd return to. Heck, even in our last town (population of under 10,000), there were 3 places that we frequented and miss with better food and cheaper prices than what we're finding here. It's gotta be my biggest gripe with Denver at this point, but thankfully we enjoy cooking at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy
Its regular water cooler conversation especially among the younger workers who know somebody who "moved out west" and is enjoying a great quality of life.
I didn't notice this at all (spent 4 years in DC/Baltimore and another 5 in Atlanta). But then again, it might be because I'm From Wyoming and put a quick stop to any stupidly absurd thoughts, but mostly I just don't remember anyone talking fondly about moving west. Everyone I knew loved where they were. *shrug*

Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
ethnic diversity Denver is ~50% minority, way better than the highly touted Seattle.
You're smoking something lady. There's no way Denver is 50% minority.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM

181 posts, read 582,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You're smoking something lady. There's no way Denver is 50% minority.
Actually, it is.

:: The Denver Office of Economic Development :: Economic & Demographic Data ::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver