Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,990 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice on places to stay/visit on a trip from Denver to Las Vegas in September? I'm from South Africa and we want to take a drive through the Rockies and see the Grand Canyon before getting to Vegas. Advice on routes and hotels etc would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I would try to work Moab, Utah into the trip (neat red rocks), or maybe go through SW Colorado and incorporate Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park on your way and Durango, since you want to stop at the Grand Canyon.

My co-worker, who is a native of Colorado, claims that Black Canyon of the Gunnison is the best park in Colorado. I haven't actually been there, but my parents just visited two weeks ago, and they loved it too, and the pictures from their trip are amazing.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
As you want to see the Grand Canyon before you get to Vegas here is how I would do it. Take Interstate 70 west out of Denver. Once you get past the Utah border look for U.S. 191 south which takes you to Moab. It's very touristy these days and the motels are high at this time of the year, but they are plentiful. IMO your best bet would be either Motel 6 or the Super 8 just before you get to the city limits. There is a Denny's restaurant if you want to deal with chain restaurants in between those two motels or you can go into town. The Moab Street Diner has good breakfasts (never had dinner there) and there are many other mom and pop restaurants downtown. Denver to Moab on this route is around 350 miles, and the Utah highway people have done a good job lately on paving new passing lanes as it is a 2 lane highway.

The scenery gets your attention in a big way as you get out of the towns of Blanding and Bluff on 191. When you get into Bluff, exit to U.S 163 which takes you through Monument Valley at the Utah-Arizona border. You'll want to take pictures through this stretch, guaranteed!

163 dead ends at Kayenta which then becomes U.S. 160. Stay west on 160 which takes you to Tuba City. For the last couple hours you'll find you're traveling on the Navajo Indian Reservation. It's a 2 lane road through there. 10 miles past Tuba City the highway dead ends at U.S. 89. Stay south on 89 which takes you into Flagstaff, which is a good place to get a room for the night. As you get to Interstate 40 from 89 you'll find a variety of the chain hotels on the various exits off the interstate; Holiday Inn, Super 8, Quality Inn, etc., etc. Hotels are plentiful in Flagstaff. Several chain type restaurants are near those hotels. The exits to look for off the interstate is Butler ave., Lucky Lane ave., and I-17.

The Grand Canyon is west of Flagstaff, maybe a 45 minute drive. And it is an all day event, is in my top 5 of favorite national parks. If you want to get on down the road in the afternoon, Kingman is a good place to spend the night. A little over 2 hour drive from Flagstaff, you'll find a lot of the chain motels on the Andy Devine Blvd. exit, with several restaurants on that exit. Kingman to Las Vegas is another 100 miles or so north on U.S. Hwy. 93.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-25-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,990 times
Thanks for the great info! For first time visitors to the U.S its really good to have advice from those "in the know" we appreciate it!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 AM

114 posts, read 325,875 times
My wife and I actually made this trip on our honeymoon. There are lots of great things to see, and unfortunately, we had to skip some of them. Here are the main places we went, from Denver to LV:
Lookout Mountain (just off I-70 as you start up the mountains)
Lake Dillon
Vail
Glenwood Canyon (I-70 goes right through it, with rest areas to stop)
Hot Springs Lodge and Pool (Glenwood Springs) -- nice hotel, with a two-block long hot springs pool
Aspen
(entering Utah)
Arches National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Zion National Park (really wish we spent more time here)
(entering Arizona)
Grand Canyon National Park (north rim)
Flagstaff
Hoover Dam (on Arizona / Nevada border)
Vegas

Other places we would have liked to go:
Colorado - Rocky Mountain National Park (have been there other times), Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Utah - Salt Lake City, Capitol Reef National Park, Monument Valley
Arizona - Glen Canyon Dam, south rim of Grand Canyon, Sedona / Red Rocks

As far as places to stay, the Hot Springs Lodge and the lodging right on the north rim of the Grand Canyon were nice. We stayed at chain hotels for a few nights, and Mandalay Bay in Vegas, although you obviously have lots of choices there. I'd recommend either looking at AAA ratings, or look on sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, etc for hotels with good reviews in your price range.

I had never been to Utah before that trip (I had been to Colorado and Las Vegas numerous times), and I was blown away by the beauty. I wish we had spent more time there.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Is this drive going to be one way or are you going to make it a round trip loop?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
For those who LIKE to eat, there's a place south of the Grand Canyon, in the town of Williams, AZ, just off of I-40 that is a "must" to visit. It's the Pine Country Inn and they bake about 25 kinds of pies each day. The coconut cream pie is awesome, stand 6-inches high.... one slice is a meal.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM

299 posts, read 712,099 times
I don't have advice except this:

1) Black Canyon is really fantastic.
2) In my opinion, the natural beauty in Utah is really worth some extra time. I hope you really enjoy places like Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc.

Have fun

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
If you happen to head south on the 25 Santa Fe is nice at this time of year. But I'd probably side with the others and say go to Moab and then south to the Grand Canyon. Flagstaff is a cool little town as well, spend a day there.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The Grand Canyon is west of Flagstaff,
Isn't it more north?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver