Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,381 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone, I am 27 & am struggling with deciding on where to go back to college to finish my bachelor's degree. Please help! I have only lived in Colorado since September of last year & do not know anything about the different schools here---which has a good reputation, which caters to older students like myself, which has the good programs, etc, etc....has anyone been in the same boat as me or can offer me any advice??

Here are the schools I'm looking into that I know of:

University of Denver (private & very expensive)

Devry (same as above)

Colorado Technical University (still can't find what their tuiton rate is)

Metropolitan State College of Denver (cheapest but would I be able to finish working full-time?)

Need some feedback--has anyone went to any of these schools and/or what is your opinion on private vs. public school? Is the private education really worth the debt you'll be in afterwards? Here is what I'm looking for: I need a school where I can finish my degree online, at night and/or on the weekend---and one where there is not a ton of young kids around---I'd like to be with like-minded people who are serious about finishing their education & having it be worth something, not just to get the degree just to say you have one. Does this make sense? Or does where you go really matter in the long run? What has everyone else's experience been with that here in the working world of Denver?

I know ultimately it's my choice, but anyone's opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,339,883 times
I spent a semester at Metro and finished my bachelors at the University of Colorado at Denver. The two schools have a wide age range of students, and a much higher average age then the typical school. Most students at the two schools work and a lot of them (including myself) worked full time. Class times are very flexible around your work schedule.

My mom taught for a short while at Devry and according to her it was a rip off. Most of students aren't there to learn, the standards are very low and its expensive. DU is well regarded but your typical four year university. It would be hard to finish there while working full time (although doable and I believe they have a program to help working adults finish).

I don't know anything about CTU.

Another school to consider is Regis University. They have a program for working adults as well.

Personally I would consider Metro or UCD. Both schools are cheap, flexible and well regarded in the metro area IMHO.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,381 times

Thanks xxman77, for the insight! That is good to know about Devry--I visited there & the lady pretty much trashed the other schools like Westwood or Regis saying they werent' 'regionally accredited' but 'nationally accredited'---and that employers look highly at Devry graduates--of course she is going to say that, but I didn't know what to think walking away from there.

I was thinking of visiting Metro soon---also will check out UCD. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 210,482 times
Hey - just wanted to give my input here as I am currently attending college in the state.

Since you are looking for a more adult type program, I wouldn't recommend UCD or Metro as I would say it's fair to guesstimate that over 70-80% of students are out of high school / early 20's. I personally don't like the idea of auditorium sized classes where asking the teacher a simple question is a pain in the rear.

I attended classes at Westwood College of Technology, and I for one will be the FIRST to tell you - do not go there an be sure you get anything in writing that a counselor tells you (IE the school is regionally accredited vs. nationally accredited), as I was duped by my advisor at Westwood into thinking my credits would transfer - 6/52 transferred as "Vocational / Occupational Experience" and the rest went caput.

I am currently attending Regis, and I am 100% satisfied with the school and would highly recommend it. Since you are looking for an "Adult Education" program, I would recommend Regis 1000 times more. I am in the same boat that I have to work full time while also pursuing my degree, and Regis has exactly the program you are looking for in locations throughout Colorado in their "School for Professional Studies". In order to be accepted, you have to prove that you are a professional - they will not let in anyone. I can say from experience (and also since I'm pretty young - 23) that I have been THE youngest person in every one of my classes with the mean age being somewhere between 30-40. I love the schedules / classes / structure - they offer two 8 week terms or three 5-week terms per semester, so for example a "full time" class load of 4 class / 12 credits is usually spread out into either 2 classes per 8 week term or 1 class per 5-week term with 1 two-class term. Each class only meets one night a week, and most of the classes are also offered online. You mentioned something about their accredidation (sp?), and to start off, don't trust what the DeVry guys are saying, they'll say anything to get you to come in. Regis is fully and completely accredited (again - I know this from my experience with Westwood), and they will even let you complete a good amount of core / basic classes at local community colleges (IE Arapahoe CC, Metro, etc..) to help save some money on tuition. The other advantage is that they have multiple locations offering classes for the SPS (School for Professional Studies) programs in: Colorado Springs, DTC Area, Aurora, Denver, as well as online. I love the school and the smaller classes, and wouldn't go anywhere else. I hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
I thought Metro and UCD touted themselves as being for 'continuing students'. Face it, even though there is much publicity about people going back to college at a later age, the majority are still recently out of high school.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I thought Metro and UCD touted themselves as being for 'continuing students'. Face it, even though there is much publicity about people going back to college at a later age, the majority are still recently out of high school.
I would have to agree - most schools in CO might advertise a lot about adult education but the majority of the students in the classes are straight out of high school. This is again another reason why I would recommend Regis' School for Professional Studies - not only do they review your schooling background, but they also take into account your professional situation and you must have or be looking for / have a good resume of experience. They won't let you in without real world job experience. I can say that I am the vast minority being 23 years old in ALL of my classes that I've taken - that is 95-99% of the people in my classes are all over 30 and are professionals in their chosen field with a true desire to do something better with their lives - this is a clear and distinct line when compared to places like Metro, UCD, DU, etc.. - although those places may offer "night classes", weekend classes, online classes, there is no guarantee of the caliber / age of the students that will be in the classes. In fact, I would bet that over 75% of the students in those classes are under the age of 24.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoPro View Post

Since you are looking for a more adult type program, I wouldn't recommend UCD or Metro as I would say it's fair to guesstimate that over 70-80% of students are out of high school / early 20's. I personally don't like the idea of auditorium sized classes where asking the teacher a simple question is a pain in the rear.
Average age at Metro (all undergrad) is 26 and 56% are 24 or older, much higher then your traditional school where the average undergrad is 20 or 21. Average age at UCD (both undergrad and grad) is 27. Average class size at Metro is 22 (I couldn't find average class size at UCD). I think as a 27 year old the op will fit in very well there.

During my time at the two schools I only took one class in an auditorium. The class was biology and the lecture was about 170 students which then broke up for a 20 person lab a few hours a week. It was really easy to ask the lab instructor any questions you had. Most class I took were between 20 and 30 students but some were as small as 7 students. I found my professors extremely accessible because most are there to teach, not to publish. Professors were around for the office hours, most were very good about responding to emails and several even gave out their home telephone numbers.

I'm probably a little biased because I went there but it was a really good place for me. I've heard good things about Regis as well though, but my biggest problem with Regis is the cost.

Office of Admissions | Welcome (broken link)

About Us (http://www.cudenver.edu/Who%20Am%20I/Prospective%20Students/About%20CU-Denver/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Average age at Metro (all undergrad) is 26 and 56% are 24 or older, much higher then your traditional school where the average undergrad is 20 or 21. Average age at UCD (both undergrad and grad) is 27. Average class size at Metro is 22 (I couldn't find average class size at UCD). I think as a 27 year old the op will fit in very well there.

During my time at the two schools I only took one class in an auditorium. The class was biology and the lecture was about 170 students which then broke up for a 20 person lab a few hours a week. It was really easy to ask the lab instructor any questions you had. Most class I took were between 20 and 30 students but some were as small as 7 students. I found my professors extremely accessible because most are there to teach, not to publish. Professors were around for the office hours, most were very good about responding to emails and several even gave out their home telephone numbers.

I'm probably a little biased because I went there but it was a really good place for me. I've heard good things about Regis as well though, but my biggest problem with Regis is the cost.
I agree xxman - my biggest problem with Regis too is the cost, but I for one am glad to pay it.

I understand your points about Metro and UCD, and I appreciate your statistics - I would have never guessed that the average ages were 26-27 for the two colleges. My argument though is simply this and seems to be confirmed by your statement that for metro, 54% of students are over 24. While that is a large percentage, I see the fact as 46% of the students attending Metro are under 24. When you compare that to Regis' Traditional College, the comparison is very similar. I couldn't find the exact numbers, but speaking from experience while attending Regis' School for Professional Studies, I can safely say that I have been the youngest person by far in every one of my classes and I'm 23, so the assumption I'm making (false or not) is that the vast majority (over 80-90%) of the students are over 25 and have had an average of 10 years of prior professional experience. I know on my end it was more powerful listening to / learning with other professionals who were dedicated to learning rather then being around a group consisting largely of people under 24 who just want to party.

Again though, you have valid points, it just comes down to a matter of preference.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM

I agree with you and the School for Professional Studies does sound very much like a grown up program. I just wanted to make the point that Metro and UCD are not, by any means, party schools. Sure there are a few students there who like to party and most like to have a good time but it is not a party environment at all. Most students work full time so they don't have a lot of time to party. Also there is almost no campus life to create a school party scene. From my experience you have a few slackers but virtually every student was there to learn. They don't have the resources that Regis has so it depends on if you think those extra resources are worth the extra money.

Personally I think it doesn't matter where you get your undergrad anyway as long as it can get you into a really good grad program (which UCD did for me).

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I just wanted to make the point that Metro and UCD are not, by any means, party schools. Sure there are a few students there who like to party and most like to have a good time but it is not a party environment at all.
My opinion here is jaded I guess - I've personally known too many kids that have gone there and just couldn't handle it, but that's true of any school. You are right though, if you compare CU - Denver (UCD) with CU - Boulder, CU - Denver is definately the place to be for more dedicated students. If you're real worried about cost, than UCD and Metro are definately the two best bets in my opinion. If you don't mind paying a little more, Regis is probably a little better, the same with DU. Hope we helped out a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver