U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 AM

84 posts, read 296,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post

Down in the Lakewood/Weat Ridge area, there is a lot of gangs & the kids are generally kinda way too sexual & violent & what not. Jefferson high school in Lakewood had a couple shoot outs in the past & there's a lot of competition between other high schools that cause the majority of them. That doesn't speak for all of the area, but generally that's what I've seen when I lived in Colorado as a child. There is good everywhere, though. Research it a little bit, but that's the information I can give you about the overall streets & schools.

Jessie
Umm...both Lakewood and Wheatridge are actually really nice/safe areas. If you're from a small town, then anywhere in the metro area will appear scary if you want it to. Also, Wheatridge is northwest of the city, not south of it. And neither South Denver or the suburbs south of the city have a big gang problem. Northeast Denver from City Park and Five Points all the way up to Elyria Swansea, North Parkhill and Montbello have the biggest gang problem, followed by the westside neighborhoods like Westwood, Lincoln Park/La Alma, Sun Valley, and Valverde.

All the really impoverished/violent neighborhoods are closer to the city center. I can post a map if anyone would like...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 AM

84 posts, read 296,831 times
There are a lot of good and bad schools in the metro area, but here are the ones that should not be on the table no matter what. I'm not picky, but these just have too much gang violence, and bad education that I'd never put my kids in anyone of these schools. And some of these are my neighborhood schools.

Going by high schools, here are the bad ones:

Montbello (generally, schools in Montbello and Green Valley aren't too good).

West: Ha, it's practically empty. Gang violence, it's in a gang neighborhood, and there is no sense of pride in your work or school spirit, not that the latter one matters.

Adams City: Same as the previous.

Hinkley: No. Just no. They have an IB program but it still has a bad reputation as a gang school.

Aurora Central.

Well I guess that's it, ha

Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 8,497 times
Hi. I'm still waiting for someone to address the "minus Overland" comment when talking about Cherry Creek's good schools. I'm thinking about Overland's open enrollment for next year for my children because we have moved into an area where Overland is only three blocks away, but they've been assigned to Gateway (almost a mile away), which will absolutely not happen.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,885,030 times
Overland is better than Gateway, but better is a relative term.

Overland is the lowest performing CCSD school, but it would be among the highest performing Aurora Public Schools. If I had to choose between Overland and Gateway, I'd choose Overland too.

If I had to choose between Overland and any other CCSD school, I'd choose all of the other schools first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver