U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,668 times
Default Golden, CO schools

My family is moving from MN to CO this fall. We have 3year old twin boys. My husband will be working from home so commute time not an issue. We really like the town of Golden given the proximity to hiking and Denver. Also that it is closer to ski areas. However I am having a hard time understanding how the schools fare. The elementary in genesee has high ratings but the elementary in areas closer to downtown golden have avg to low rankings. The high school is rated ok but not excellent. We really like this town but schools are important and public schools are a must. Originally we planned to move to Louisville but we like how Golden is more of a mountain town. I have not been able to find any threads on golden schools. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 AM

8,518 posts, read 18,484,439 times
What is now is reality and what is 15 years from now is speculative. Who says you'll still live in Golden 15 years from now?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,957,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiziegenfuss View Post
My family is moving from MN to CO this fall. We have 3year old twin boys. My husband will be working from home so commute time not an issue. We really like the town of Golden given the proximity to hiking and Denver. Also that it is closer to ski areas. However I am having a hard time understanding how the schools fare. The elementary in genesee has high ratings but the elementary in areas closer to downtown golden have avg to low rankings. The high school is rated ok but not excellent. We really like this town but schools are important and public schools are a must. Originally we planned to move to Louisville but we like how Golden is more of a mountain town. I have not been able to find any threads on golden schools. Thoughts??
First of all, Golden is not a mountain town. If you truly want a mountain town in the metro area, move to Evergreen. It is closer to the ski areas, but the ski areas are all at least an hour away. Ken Caryl (Chatfield HS)and South Lakewood (D'Evelyn Jr/Sr High magnet) have better schools, great access to hiking and parks, and are only a few minutes further down the road. Besides, unless you go skiing every weekend from October to April, moving to a location where you are marginally closer to a ski area really does not make sense.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 22,103 times
The quality varies in the Golden area. For elementary schools, some have very good reputations, such as Ralston (in Genesee), Mitchell, Kyffin, and Maple Grove. Pleasant View and Shelton are generally not as well regarded, but I don't think they are bad schools. Schools in Jefferson County have open enrollment, so you will be able to apply to schools outside of your home area; a lot of families do this. I agree that Golden is not a mountain town like Evergreen, but I think it's a very good location in between Denver, Boulder, and ski resorts.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 3,046,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
First of all, Golden is not a mountain town. If you truly want a mountain town in the metro area, move to Evergreen. It is closer to the ski areas, but the ski areas are all at least an hour away. Ken Caryl (Chatfield HS)and South Lakewood (D'Evelyn Jr/Sr High magnet) have better schools, great access to hiking and parks, and are only a few minutes further down the road. Besides, unless you go skiing every weekend from October to April, moving to a location where you are marginally closer to a ski area really does not make sense.
I have to disagree with this. Golden is at least as much a mountain town, as Evergreen is. Well actually they are more both foothills towns. Golden is located in a valley between Lookout Mountain on the West and North and South Table Mountains on the East. North and South Table Mountains almost totally cut it off from the rest of the Metro Area. That gives it a good mountain feel, IMHO.

I do agree that as far as skying goes, weather you live in Golden or Downtown Denver, is not going to make much difference. It's just another 15 min. onto a long trip to the slopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver