U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,903,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1956 View Post
More room here for people that LOVE C.A.
I am a true Californian, born there. I love my state and defend it, but it is very hard to live there right now. What did it for me was having my daughter and paying 2000.00 a month for day care, my wife may as well stay home. The 'icing' came when my job allowed me to keep my BayArea salary but move to Denver...less taxes, less costs, same money, mountains, beautiful city = no brainer.

I will miss the ocean, but now I will have money to actually take a vacation to Hawaii every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I got out in 2008 and am glad I did too. I didn't get any money out so we're preparing for the move the old fashioned way without gobs of cash to transfer, but it still better than being trapped under water in a sinking ship.
It is a very sad situation for many great families whom I know in CA. They could not get off that ship and man is it stressful for them. I know parents of triplets in Tustin that bought there house in 2003. On the exterior they would appear rich, but they are 100's of thousands of dollars in debt and will most likely not get out until their kids are out of the house. They are Persian immigrants too, so they don't have any family to help them out. They are just stuck.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,616,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am a true Californian, born there. I love my state and defend it, but it is very hard to live there right now. What did it for me was having my daughter and paying 2000.00 a month for day care, my wife may as well stay home. The 'icing' came when my job allowed me to keep my BayArea salary but move to Denver...less taxes, less costs, same money, mountains, beautiful city = no brainer.

I will miss the ocean, but now I will have money to actually take a vacation to Hawaii every year.
This sums up my situation fairly well, too. On one hand, a lot of people want to live there, so you have to 'pay if you want to play', so to speak. But for me, I decided that the cost to live there just wasn't worth it to me, so I moved.

I'm originally from the East Coast, but lived in Redondo Beach for two years. I loved living there and I loved most things about California, but I didn't love the politics and I didn't care for the high-tax economic climate. I felt like I could never 'get ahead' and saved very little every month after all of my monthly expenses and I'm not someone who manages money poorly.

My dollar goes so much farther here in Denver and my quality of life is so much higher. Sure, there's no ocean, but like you, I can now afford to visit it when I really want to, and because I moved, I've been able to save money to pay my way through grad school, though a small portion of the expense was covered by tuition reimbursement through my employer. I'm also in the process of buying a townhome. I would have never been able to do either of those things in CA and have no regrets about the move. And the thing is -- I'm not swimming in money! I'm not wealthy by any means. I just found a good balance between salary and living expenses.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
This sums up my situation fairly well, too. On one hand, a lot of people want to live there, so you have to 'pay if you want to play', so to speak. But for me, I decided that the cost to live there just wasn't worth it to me, so I moved.

I'm originally from the East Coast, but lived in Redondo Beach for two years. I loved living there and I loved most things about California, but I didn't love the politics and I didn't care for the high-tax economic climate. I felt like I could never 'get ahead' and saved very little every month after all of my monthly expenses and I'm not someone who manages money poorly.

My dollar goes so much farther here in Denver and my quality of life is so much higher. Sure, there's no ocean, but like you, I can now afford to visit it when I really want to, and because I moved, I've been able to save money to pay my way through grad school, though a small portion of the expense was covered by tuition reimbursement through my employer. I'm also in the process of buying a townhome. I would have never been able to do either of those things in CA and have no regrets about the move. And the thing is -- I'm not swimming in money! I'm not wealthy by any means. I just found a good balance between salary and living expenses.
I am not swimming in money either. I am a software engineer with 12 years experience, and we manage our money very well (virtually no debt).

I just live minimally and I am hoping for a nice modest balance of life. No BMW, no clothes for the dogs, no McMansion...just a nice cozy domicile where my family will feel secure.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hi folks! Well my family and I are finally moving to Denver at this end of this month. We have found a place out in BelMar and we are absolutely elated for this long awaited move (2 years in planning - job relocation).

An observation - I just spent a week in Denver, drove from the DTC to Platt park, Baker, Wash Park, City Park, Sloan Lake, Stapleton and BelMar for 5 days straight. I saw not 1 California license plate and met absolutely no-one who was from California there. However, I did see a ton of Kansas and Iowa plates, and it seemed like every person I met was from Iowa. This seems like such a drastic change from our visit 2 years ago during the same month. I recall 2 years ago nothing but people hating on Californians for all of Denver's faults and this board was packed with nothing but Californians inquiring about a move there.

What has happened? Such a strange phenomenon in migration.
Has the animosity towards Californians subsided out there?

Regardless, I am very impressed with Denver and I really hope our family can call it home for a long time. I have relied on this board now for 3 moves and the information has always(well most of the time ) been precise and invaluable.

Thanks to all of you that truly make this forum the invaluable resource it is for moving.
I wasn't aware you were planning a move to the Mile High City.Welcome to Colorado Mach I think half of Southern California is living around Boulder..It was like Toads Wild Ride on the Boulder Creek Path today. Now EscapeCalifornia needs to get out here and join you. Hope your move is a good one, and again WELCOME..scott5280

Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,882,638 times
[quote=Scott5280;14910097Now EscapeCalifornia needs to get out here [/QUOTE]

Fingers are crossed for this year. My wife's currently looking for work there.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
I think fewer people are moving to metro Denver, period. That Iowa thing the OP saw in Lakewood may be an anomoly. You know, one family moves there, and then a lot of others follow to the same place. Just like the immigrants from Europe 100-150 years ago. There are tons of midwesterners here.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-06-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Driving route recommendation.

Could anyone be so kind as to recommend the best driving route from San Francisco to Denver? Please consider I am traveling in a Honda Pilot (no trailer) with my wife, 2 1/2 year old daughter and 2 dogs . So although I'd like to sight see along the way, please inform me if these routes are crazy! I have plotted 3:

1) 80 all the way across to 87S - (Appears to be the most direct and flattest - also most boring?)
2) 80 to SLC, then 40 across (Recommended as somewhat scenic yet not as flat, not as tricky as #3)
3) 80 to SLC, then 15 South, to 70 east through Moab, Grand Junction (Recommended as most scenic, also most timely and also most challenging).

Any help would be much appreciated!

T-Minus 3 days until the move.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,674,043 times
If you're not towing anything, not driving any U-hauls, then none of these routes are going to be that "challenging." If you don't mind adding a little bit extra time, I would recommend your option #3. That's exactly what I did when I moved back to Denver from Reno.

I-80 through Wyoming is BORE-ing with just a few exceptions.
I-70 is much more scenic than US-40. I-70 through UT and the CO Rocky Mountains is one of the most scenic interstate drives in the country.
I've heard US-50 through Nevada (the loneliest road) is incredible, but it takes a long time and I've never done it before. Not where you want to be stuck if you were to break down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver