Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times

Advertisements

Going to be moving out to Littleton at the beginning of August. I know this isn't really a specific Denver question, but has anyone made the drive from the south east to CO? Just looking for any suggestions of things to possibly see along the way or tips for traveling.

Google maps says going up FL, GA, TN, MO, KS and into CO. Maybe the St Louis Arch since that's where i'm supposed to pick up I-70 anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
The big question is in how much of a hurry are you? Are you planning on driving 2 days? 3 days? 4 days? I can think of more interesting routes that probably are within 150-200 miles of the route google maps says to take that might take you to more interesting (IMO) places.

How about going through New Orleans and Dallas? You could spend the night in each city.

Of course travelling to Colorado via the Gateway Arch is kind of symbolic.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
Is it just you or do you have children? Do you want the historical, scenic or eclectic stuff?
If you go through Atlanta, you may want to stop at Stone Mountain for the night. They have an awesome laser light show (sync'd with music) that they project on the mountain side every night during the summertime. Its on the south east side of town and not really far out of the way.

If you want to go I-10, you can stop in Mobile Alabama. Right off of I-10 is battleship park where you can tour the USS Alabama Battleship, the USS Drum submarine, an armor artillery collection and a full airforce museum. Its a great way to get a sense of some of our history. BTW, the battleship is still quite impressive even if it is 70 years old.

The arch in St Louis is a good attraction, but be warned, if you want to ride to the top, you can't be claustrophobic. To get up there, you have to climb into tiny pods that resemble the inside of a dryer, for the ride up. I swear, they are no more than 4 feet in diameter. The view however, is worth the trip.

Nav

Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The big question is in how much of a hurry are you? Are you planning on driving 2 days? 3 days? 4 days? I can think of more interesting routes that probably are within 150-200 miles of the route google maps says to take that might take you to more interesting (IMO) places.

How about going through New Orleans and Dallas? You could spend the night in each city.

Of course travelling to Colorado via the Gateway Arch is kind of symbolic.

Well i'm leaving on Monday morning and I have to be there on Wednesday. It's a 27-28 hour drive non-stop supposedly, so I don't have a whole lot of free time but should be able to make some quick stops.

To answer Nav, I don't have any children and i'm just traveling by myself. I think i'd prefer more historic sights

Thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Well i'm leaving on Monday morning and I have to be there on Wednesday. It's a 27-28 hour drive non-stop supposedly, so I don't have a whole lot of free time but should be able to make some quick stops.
If you go I-70, you will have the opportunity to stop at Prairie Dog Town in Oakley, KS.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
We've driven Denver to Tampa and back at least 6 times in the last 2 years. We drive non stop except for gas, rest stops and usually one, 1 hour "sit down" meal and the trip takes 31 hours give or take a few minutes.
That going the most direct FL, GA, TN, KY, IL, MO, KS, CO route. If you want to break it up, the best place to stop is Mt Vernon, IL. Its exactly the half way point where you stop heading north and start heading west. Cheap hotels ($35/night) and lots of restaurants. Its about 16 hours from central Florida.

On your schedule,you are limited on the selection of "quick" places to stop. If you were to leave a day earlier, then there may be a better selection. The arch in St Louis may be the only one directly on the route. I believe there also is a historic US cavalry museum west of Topeka, around the Fort Riley Army Base that may be of interest.
If you want "quick history", a lof of the rest area in Kansas have historic plaques outlining their significance to the wagon trains of old. Best thing to say is to simply watch the signs. There are a lot of things do do along the way.

Nav

Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok, thanks for the tips

Looking forward to CO

It still hasn't really sunk in yet though that i'm moving 1900 miles away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver