U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,046,689 times

Advertisements

I am up to my eyeballs looking at websites to look for an apartment from Texas!! I've been going website to website, google street view, looking at surrounding areas, researching restuarants, grocery stores etc, reading reviews that conflict eachother. ARRRGHHH!! The companies paint a pretty picture with the apartments and then I read mixed reviews.....I'M STRESSED!!

I move in three weeks and everything is done except two things:

1) Can't seem to find a decent apartment for no more than $750/month with W/D connections. I can live anywhere in South Lakewood, Littleton, Ken Caryl, Englewood, South Denver near Cherry creek lake. So, I need your help! Any recommendations please feel free to share.

2) Just wondering what light/electric companies are available in Denver? Is their a website to look at to check out rates? (In Texas we have powertochoose.org)

Thanks for any help. Direct message if you want, I just need this quick if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 25,886 times
Do you have a job lined up?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
We can't choose our energy providers here. Most of Metro Denver is stuck with Xcel Energy, but there are a few other providers as well.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow10 View Post
Do you have a job lined up?
Yes, WE do, both my wife and I. I will actually be on a one week vacation as I move up here, but I'd rather have a good place set instead of spending $300 on a hotel. Money, I'd rather spend on other things, but you know what people say about getting a place from afar without looking at it first.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 PM

38 posts, read 115,531 times
I think no matter what you're going to find mixed reviews. I personally have not looked at apartment complexes really here, so I can't really point you in the right direction there.

Bottom line is you have to pick a few that you're interested in and come look at them. There's going to be at least one bad thing said about anywhere that you want to move to; and decent is really a matter of opinion. We moved and stayed in a hotel for one night and then the next day we moved into our place. There's no way to get around it. There are way too many scammers out there right now to ever sign a lease for something you haven't seen in person.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only option for electric is Xcel (xcelenergy.com).

Good luck

Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 PM

4,427 posts, read 7,124,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
1) Can't seem to find a decent apartment for no more than $750/month with W/D connections. I can live anywhere in South Lakewood, Littleton, Ken Caryl, Englewood, South Denver near Cherry creek lake. So, I need your help! Any recommendations please feel free to share.

Didn't exist (that I could find) as of September 2009. I think we paid $850 (Bently Apartments at 285 and Wadsworth) ~but with garage and pet deposits, it was north of there. Our house mortgage is actually cheaper than our rent there. It was unremarkable. The residents were a mixture of unseen and obnoxious as heck (just like Every other apartment complex), the staff were Mostly competent, but the general manager always had a stick up her backside and I'd be willing to bet she'd go out of her way to make a tenants life miserable if it caught her fancy. But the grounds were fairly well taken care of (slip hazards all over the place when cold). I've been in lots better, and worse, apartments. We had a 3 month lease and abandoned living there after 2 months because we found a house, and hated living there.

But what I found was that the online reviews tended to be polar.. either everything's perfect (no such thing), or the place couldn't possibly get any worse (while some exist, it's not all of them). You kinda have to look and judge for yourself. If you're used to living in apartments, the above may be lots more tolerable for you ~ it was the residents that made that place so miserable to live there.

For the power, we only had one option... ditto with our house. xcel energy.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Didn't exist (that I could find) as of September 2009. I think we paid $850 (Bently Apartments at 285 and Wadsworth) ~but with garage and pet deposits, it was north of there. Our house mortgage is actually cheaper than our rent there. It was unremarkable. The residents were a mixture of unseen and obnoxious as heck (just like Every other apartment complex), the staff were Mostly competent, but the general manager always had a stick up her backside and I'd be willing to bet she'd go out of her way to make a tenants life miserable if it caught her fancy. But the grounds were fairly well taken care of (slip hazards all over the place when cold). I've been in lots better, and worse, apartments. We had a 3 month lease and abandoned living there after 2 months because we found a house, and hated living there.

But what I found was that the online reviews tended to be polar.. either everything's perfect (no such thing), or the place couldn't possibly get any worse (while some exist, it's not all of them). You kinda have to look and judge for yourself. If you're used to living in apartments, the above may be lots more tolerable for you ~ it was the residents that made that place so miserable to live there.

For the power, we only had one option... ditto with our house. xcel energy.
Could you list some? or PM me?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM

29 posts, read 56,068 times
Have you considered one of the extended stay hotels for a month when you first move? There are older threads about them and the prices were around $800/mt if paid up front (could be wrong). That would give you time to really feel out the area and see what is the best fit for your family. I am not sure about you belongings though and how much it may cost to store them if you will be bringing them with you. Through searching online I have found lots of storage centers in the area, but have not called for prices yet. I only recommend this because it is an option we are looking at doing when we get there because I know there's no way we can come visit ahead of time. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM

4,427 posts, read 7,124,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Could you list some? or PM me?

None in Denver... sorry. I think I can dig up the "better", but it was in Atlanta... the "worse" was in Phoenix.

And that was "Lots" as in "substantially", not "many" ~ I've rented way more homes in my life than apartments.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,320,982 times
I pay $775/mo for a 2/2 with W/D in unit just north of the DTC. It can be done. Just be diligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or