U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM

420 posts, read 645,919 times

Advertisements

In 2013, I have to agree now. Food is getting worse each year in Denver. All my favorite pho prices have raised there prices 2 bucks and the others are too far to go to regularly. Lots of chains and uninspired food but I live in Westminster now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM

299 posts, read 628,410 times
Wow - this old thread sent me a notice after all this time!!

I am happy to say that after living in Denver for 3+ years now, I am finding that if you are willing to search just a little bit there is plenty of good food to be had! I can't imagine that it's getting worse - restaurants raising their prices is a sign of inflation, not bad food. And, you live in Westminster and are far from your favorites, that's not really a reflection on Denver.

There are now 5 really good Thai places that I consider reasonably authentic and good quality, plus a handful of others that are Americanized but still really good. The Vietnamese is through the roof! Great Mexican.

The only category that doesn't seem well represented is Japanese. There is 'good' Japanese but not 'GREAT' Japanese that I can find!! ( a couple of exceptions, sort of).

But really, it's pretty good! I have really come to like living in Denver overall

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,826,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
The only category that doesn't seem well represented is Japanese. There is 'good' Japanese but not 'GREAT' Japanese that I can find!! ( a couple of exceptions, sort of).
I think Denver actually has some pretty good quality Japanese restaurants. Not a big selection to choose from. You have to go aways to find them. But once you get there, chances are you will be eating some pretty good quality authentic Japanese food.

Here in California, there are sushi places on every corner. 95% of them are fake, run by Chinese or Koreans who really know very little about Japanese food, and just serve Americanized crap.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM

6,894 posts, read 6,473,010 times
People who are complaining, it would be helpful to know which restaurants you have been to and find uninspiring. There are a ton of great restaurants in Denver. Kevin Taylor is world class and there are many other very highly respected chefs in the city. I need to know that you have tried my favorites before I take any of this criticism seriously.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
Wow - this old thread sent me a notice after all this time!!

I am happy to say that after living in Denver for 3+ years now, I am finding that if you are willing to search just a little bit there is plenty of good food to be had! I can't imagine that it's getting worse - restaurants raising their prices is a sign of inflation, not bad food. And, you live in Westminster and are far from your favorites, that's not really a reflection on Denver.

There are now 5 really good Thai places that I consider reasonably authentic and good quality, plus a handful of others that are Americanized but still really good. The Vietnamese is through the roof! Great Mexican.

But really, it's pretty good! I have really come to like living in Denver overall
It's hard to get good Japanese this far from the sea, but yeah my rant is mostly based on living in Westminster now hehe. Also, the inflation with pho places around here represent a decrease in quality. Boba tea that's separated, soggy eggrolls, weird tasting meat. Its becoming a trend.

I found some really fantastic places in the Orchards however, called The Cheeky Monk and the Wine and Cheese bar. Glad this old thread has some life left in it!

BTW, what is your list of good thai restaurants?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 AM

26 posts, read 96,901 times
I have lived in Atlanta, Tucson, Phoenix, San Antonio, and now here in Denver. Denver is easily the worst for restaurants and eating out, even compared to smaller places such as Tucson AZ and various small cities in Florida. It seems like the best choices, many times, are simply chain restaurants. There is a complete lack of hole-in-the-walls, and I feel like the menus are mostly stagnant. This isn't to say that there isn't some good ones I've found, but they are few and far between compared to a city like Phoenix or Atlanta where I am overwhelmed with excellent restaurant choices.

Of particular dismay is the lack of quality sushi and Italian food.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 AM

6,894 posts, read 6,473,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokosan View Post
I have lived in Atlanta, Tucson, Phoenix, San Antonio, and now here in Denver. Denver is easily the worst for restaurants and eating out, even compared to smaller places such as Tucson AZ and various small cities in Florida. It seems like the best choices, many times, are simply chain restaurants. There is a complete lack of hole-in-the-walls, and I feel like the menus are mostly stagnant. This isn't to say that there isn't some good ones I've found, but they are few and far between compared to a city like Phoenix or Atlanta where I am overwhelmed with excellent restaurant choices.

Of particular dismay is the lack of quality sushi and Italian food.
How many of the below you been to:

Kevin Taylor
Table 6
Euclid Hall
Sushi Den
Root Down
North
Potager
Zengo
Rioja
Linger
Tamayo
Pinche Taqueria
Carmine's on Penn
Max Gill and Grill
Wash Park Grille
The Rackhouse Pub (probably the restaurant I hit most often)

I have to assume that someone who says the chains are the best thing in Denver has not been to most of my favorite restaurants.

I'm also curious if those complaining actually live in the city of Denver or are complaining about the lack of choices in their suburb. Don't crush a city that you don't live in because the suburbs have suburban restaurant choices.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 03-03-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM

^LOL at the last part of the comment above.

I've lived all over Denver and have traveled all over the U.S and world. Denver is NOT one of the best places to find good food easily, its one of the hardest.. Of civilized America at least.. When I when to Washington D.C. I ate amazing food all the time. Here I need a ****ing treasure map. Don't hype a city if you never eat elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM

459 posts, read 670,854 times
We are not Washington DC but we are improving food wise Inside Scoop SF Denver: On the cusp of a culinary revolution

You moved from Washington DC to Westminster Colorado and expected the food to be similar? Seriously?

I mostly grew up in Westminster and I cannot name a single decent non chain place up there either, but I do not think that means the Denver food scene sucks. Since I have also lived in larger US cities and I found EVERYWHERE you go you have to seek good food out. Good food places surprisingly do not show up magically on every corner because a city is SO amazing. That is especially true if you live in the suburbs almost anywhere in the US. Suburbanites tend to like cheap, reliable, kid friendly food so it doesn't bode well for experimentation, but it does create an environment where chain restaurants thrive.

I can add about 30 restaurants to the list SkyDog just provided so I know we have some good restaurants in Denver (no we are not DC, NYC, or San Fran), and I am sorry you have to use a treasure map to find them. Guess what though if you were a native of Colorado and moved to Tysons Corner you would likely need a treasure map of DC to find the good non-chain restaurants as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM

431 posts, read 1,075,392 times
Portland is a similar-sized metro that has better food options than Denver, but also is near the coast and has more of an Asian influence which varies the food options. Denver should aspire to be more like Portland in this regard, and I believe that is happening. Just in the past 5 years the options have increased and so has the quality. The mountain resorts have had amazing restaurants for many years but Denver has lacked until now where I would put some of the city's finest restaurants up with those at the resorts in Aspen, Vail, etc.

I would add TAG in Larimer Square, Charcoal in Golden Triangle and Cholon in Lodo to SkyDog's list. Great restaurants with innovative, modern cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver