Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post
Agreed. I must live in the "ghetto" because I'm a few blocks off of Colfax in the general area people are talking about. I work in Littleton, and I can't imagine how people would willingly live out there with nothing interesting to do other than go to chain restaurants that you could go to anywhere else in the country.

How's that for the other side of the extremist coin?

As an aside, in the 6 months I've been working down there, I've seen more people smoking weed in Littleton than I have along Colfax or in my neighborhood for the past 2 years. That must make Littleton "ghetto." </sarcasm>
I think it is interesting to see the 'reverse commute' because there have been plenty of posts to the contrary saying it is foolish to live in Littleton and commute downtown or elsewhere in Denver

Anyways one thing this board has helped me to understand is that different people want different things from their living situation. There are people who can't imagine how people would willingly live in Littleton and there are those who can't imagine why someone would live off Colfax. And neither of them is right or wrong. There are people who want to live in Littleton and there are people who want to live off Colfax. Personally when I go into Denver to say the Zoo or downtown I think about how I wouldn't like to live there. It is dirtier, louder and in my opinion less livable. In other words if I want to go there I can no problem but I always like to be able to return to my home in the suburbs. And you do the opposite - wanting to get back to your home in the city. Does this make me and good person and you a bad person or vice versa? Of course not - we just have different perspectives and fortunately we have the ability to both get what we want and can have the delineation of urban down to suburban or we'd both end up with some crazy hybrid that none of us would be happy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
I think it is interesting to see the 'reverse commute' because there have been plenty of posts to the contrary saying it is foolish to live in Littleton and commute downtown or elsewhere in Denver

Anyways one thing this board has helped me to understand is that different people want different things from their living situation. There are people who can't imagine how people would willingly live in Littleton and there are those who can't imagine why someone would live off Colfax. And neither of them is right or wrong. There are people who want to live in Littleton and there are people who want to live off Colfax. Personally when I go into Denver to say the Zoo or downtown I think about how I wouldn't like to live there. It is dirtier, louder and in my opinion less livable. In other words if I want to go there I can no problem but I always like to be able to return to my home in the suburbs. And you do the opposite - wanting to get back to your home in the city. Does this make me and good person and you a bad person or vice versa? Of course not - we just have different perspectives and fortunately we have the ability to both get what we want and can have the delineation of urban down to suburban or we'd both end up with some crazy hybrid that none of us would be happy with.
Amen

If only they would bring good AUTHENTIC Mexican food to the southern burbs I wouldn't have to go wandering down Colfax or Federal every now and then and wouldn't even be here contributing to this discussion

Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Agreed. I must live in the "ghetto" because I'm a few blocks off of Colfax in the general area people are talking about. I work in Littleton, and I can't imagine how people would willingly live out there with nothing interesting to do other than go to chain restaurants that you could go to anywhere else in the country.

How's that for the other side of the extremist coin?

As an aside, in the 6 months I've been working down there, I've seen more people smoking weed in Littleton than I have along Colfax or in my neighborhood for the past 2 years. That must make Littleton "ghetto." </sarcasm>
Years ago (mid 90s) I lived a block off Colfax on Steele, and loved that stretch of Colfax. And it's only gotten better, with some nice restaurants and condos in that area on Colfax. I liked being able to walk to so many businesses, and the feeling of being in a city. Not to mention how easy it was to catch a bus downtown. Taking the bus was easier than driving and parking, so I used the bus for convenience a lot. Colfax feels urban and alive to me.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Oh, you horrible, horrible person No, some of us are just prefer urban, some prefer suburban, and then you have those country folk! I like the convenience of city living (so much close by), the diversity, the non-chain stores and restaurants, the noise, the bustle, etc. It makes me feel more surrounded by life for some reason. But then I'm happy not to go off the pavement very often too... I hear there are rattle snakes!

And before someone calls me on it, I know Stapleton isn't exactly the heart of urban living. It was a compromise for the good of our children. And when it's finally done, it should feel more urban than it does now. They still have a lot of building to do here.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Excellent post! I will say, the issues that seem to attract people to Stapleton are the same things that attracted me to Louisville: lots of kids and a good sense of community. I will say that when I lived in Denver, near Sloan's Lake, I did not know any of my neighbors outside of my own building, and we lived in a 4 unit building. Here, I know a huge number of my neighbors, and we do things together.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

65 posts, read 212,972 times
Quote:

I totally agree with you - no worries - I just feel the need to take the other side of the argument when people start spouting off on areas being "ghetto" when they obviously haven't ever seen a ghetto.

I can see a benefit to living in Littleton for some people. Because a person likes living there doesn't make other areas worse. For me, the colfax-ish area is way more livable than Littleton - I don't have to get in a car to go everywhere, and it's close to things I want to do in my free time.

Other people like wanting to drive to things to do and have a more quiet home area. That's cool.

Let's not get carried away with this "ghetto" nonsense talk is all I'm saying.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I totally agree with you - no worries - I just feel the need to take the other side of the argument when people start spouting off on areas being "ghetto" when they obviously haven't ever seen a ghetto.

I can see a benefit to living in Littleton for some people. Because a person likes living there doesn't make other areas worse. For me, the colfax-ish area is way more livable than Littleton - I don't have to get in a car to go everywhere, and it's close to things I want to do in my free time.

Other people like wanting to drive to things to do and have a more quiet home area. That's cool.

Yeah, I can't believe people would still equate Colfax with "ghetto" these days. They've re-zoned much of it for urban development (see the new Argonaut Liquor, 1st Bank, condo projects on E. Colfax) so that new buildings are right up on the street, creating a more walkable, urban experience, and bringing new life to Colfax. It's been a slow process, but there are many nice stores and restaurants on E. Colfax.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
Quote:

Living in the suburbs is a lifestyle I prefer and I'm glad that I have that option. I'm also glad there isn't a mish-mash half-urban, half-suburban so that neither of us gets what we want

There was a post a while back about ghettos in denver and I had posted that nothing in Denver is a ghetto at all. Colfax is a busier street and there is a lot of activity there but it's nothing approaching a ghetto. If you've seen one you'll know the difference. Someone has posted a good description - burnt out buildings that aren't fixed up, garbage bags on the curb for weeks and strangely enough there can often be a strange silence in the ghetto (visible lack of activity). When my travels would take me to the east coast I had sometimes 'wandered off the freeway' and drove through some of these areas - Philly, Newark, Trenton, Paterson. You will know when you are there and even though urban Denver isn't my favorite place to go it is nowhere near bad or dangerous like those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver