U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,547 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in moving to Denver for some time, and am planning to head that direction around November. I've searched through these forums for quite some time, but haven't quite found enough information about what area would be best for me to live.

I'm in my early thirties and single, with a career in IT (particularly IT security with an emphasis in Linux). For the last year I've watched jobs which I'm well qualified for posted every week, and am particularly interested in a couple of growing companies near Broomfield. However I'm finishing the last year of my BS degree (still kicking myself for not finishing it years ago ) along with a couple more certifications, and as I can finish the rest in online classes, I'm intending to find a part time tech job to supplement my savings while I finish my classes and establish residency.

I intend of visiting Denver again for a week in late August to find an apartment, but I'm uncertain what area suits me best. I still greatly enjoy seeing concerts, and a bit of the bar scene, so the CH/Baker area seems to suit me to a point (although I do own an SUV and a motorcycle and may find street parking an issue).

However I do love the outdoors, hiking, and snowboarding, and would rather live towards the mountains. Bearing this in mind, I understand the Westminster/Broomfield areas are rather nice, and home to quite a few thirty-somethings. Golden and Boulder both seem like beautiful places to live as well, and are that much closer to areas for backpacking and snowboarding.

I'd rather not live in a hovel, yet I'm looking for somewhat simple accommodations, preferring to spend less than 750/m. I tend to spend my money on intercontinental airfare, rather than luxury.

If anyone could offer any advice or recommendations, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Much thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,650,002 times
Wherever you happen to rent first should be viewed only as a temporary residence until you get a job. No guarantees that's going to be in Broomfield. You could very well end up working in the Denver Tech Center on the south side of town, and then you'd be kicking yourself if you were stuck commuting there from Boulder every day. While you job search, being centrally located in Denver proper is not a bad idea.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM

420 posts, read 645,845 times
It will be cheaper and easier to find work in Broomfield. I found a two bedroom in Broomfield for around 600 but decided to move to Boulder instead (in a "student slum" as one poster identified). If you live in Bfield or Westminster then you can expect the front rage open spaces, nice suburbs, new shopping areas, a brand new event center and central placement Between Denver and Boulder (Mountains).
There are a lot of mountains here so being in Denver or Boulder will give you access to that, but in Denver of course you should expect less open space, harder driving, more difficulty in landing jobs, more expensive rental/property etc..

Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,547 times
Thanks for the input so far. @vegaspilgrim you seem to consistently offer good advice, so thanks for your thoughts. I'd considered that myself, since I"m ultimately moving now to enjoy what Colorado has to offer while I finish school, and would rather do so cheaply since I'll be without a well paying job for the first year. Ultimately I'm trying to get a feel for which option is best for that scenario, either living in the burbs and driving to the mountains and downtown for concerts and the like, or living downtown and driving out to the mountains. So far it sounds like the 'burbs are the cheaper option overall, and it seems commuting downtown after working hours for events shouldn't be congested.

There does seem to be fewer options regarding cheaper apartments in the downtown area, but I"ve found several so far on craigslist and rent.com. The 'burbs especially seem to have plenty in a cheaper range, but you seem pretty spot on about Boulder and Golden. I'm actually more concerned about work environment than I am pay, however I do of course have concerns about finding a job. I'd actually like to work at a startup over a large corporation, although I see your point about contending with hundreds of jobless individuals competing for the same positions. However I currently live in southern MI, and I think the only other place with higher unemployment is Vegas at the moment. Several well qualified people have left my current company recently for positions around the state, so if jobs are here, I'd like to think there are some to find there, even if it is wishful thinking.

Which leads to part of my reasoning for moving there in the first place. Since many jobs prefer local candidates, I thought enjoying the mountains and establishing myself while I finish school would put me in a more ideal situation. I'm burned out on my current location and job, and have wanted to move west for years. I thought this might be a good scenario to do so.

@jaekn thanks a bunch, that actually sounds like it's probably the best situation for me. While living downtown seems like it could be fun for a bit, I prefer more rural areas. Aside from rush hour traffic, do you have any relative idea how long a drive to downtown from Broomfield would normally be, both on the highway and only sidestreets? Or over to Keystone or one of the closer resorts?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-15-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

420 posts, read 645,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepentHarlequin View Post

@jaekn thanks a bunch, that actually sounds like it's probably the best situation for me. While living downtown seems like it could be fun for a bit, I prefer more rural areas. Aside from rush hour traffic, do you have any relative idea how long a drive to downtown from Broomfield would normally be, both on the highway and only sidestreets? Or over to Keystone or one of the closer resorts?

Thanks again.
I have a great idea of how long that takes, I do it daily! On the highway you would take either I-25 or Route 36 to I-25 and either way its about a 30 minute drive, depending on where in Denver. Just for reference, I leave my house at 8:20 AM and get to work on Colorado/S.Cherry Creek Drive by about 9. I dont recommend taking any "side streets" the lights will eat up all your time.

Similarly, from Broomfield you can get to Beautiful Boulder in about 15 minutes on Route 36 ..not really any "side street" unless you take highway 93 all the way down which might take 40 minutes.

In terms of getting to the resorts, Echo Mountain is closest but its more of a Snowboarder park than a resort. Loveland is the closest resort, followed by Keystone. You wanna take I-25 to route Seventy West to exit 216 (may be iffy if you are scared of mountain driving as this exit can get white out hectic during the season). You can also take a slightly longer route and avoid exit 216 -loveland pass. In any case, I drive from Broomfield to Keystone in an hour - hour and fifteen minutes. Loveland in 45-60 minutes depending on where exactly you live.

If you're not deadset on Downtown Denver, I'd check out Boulder in the future. I love it there.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM

726 posts, read 1,863,209 times
like everyone else says find a job than pick where to live. If you have enough saved to make it a while without a job then broomfield is a good choice. We chose Broomfield because we wanted to be right between boulder and denver. we both work in downtown denver. I take public transportation to avoid driving in traffic and to save money. taking an express bus downtown can actually be quicker than driving due to the hov lanes. broomfield is the burbs but with a lot of open space and a great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or