Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,907 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

A couple "basic" questions about Denver schools.

1. I am very familiar with the greatschools.org website, and have been using that to narrow down what district/schools we want to settle down in, however, I would like some more data points. I keep hearing about the school accountability report for Colorado, but the only data I can seem to find is for 2008- is there a centralized place where more up to date information is published? Are there other resources I should consider in addition to/instead of that?

2. Can someone explain all these tracks and schedules to me- in looking at the Douglas district, they have a million different calendar options- does this vary by school, can you elect which schedule you're own, is it chosen for you, etc.? It looks like this is only an issue with Douglas, whereas Cherry Creek has a more "traditional" calendar? Are schools in general in Denver moving to a year-round model?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
No, schools in the south metro are not moving toward a year-round schedule as a whole. In Douglas County, many of the schools that used to be on-track are now returning to a traditional schedule. It varies by area, and it's limited to elementary schools. For 2010-2011, only Frontier Valley and Northridge are year-round in DCSD. They remainder are traditional or modified trimester. See here for calendars. Cherry Creek has eight year-round elementary schools. See here for more information. Generally, you will be assigned a track if your children attend a year-round school.

For more information about schools in the Denver metro, try scanning the CSAP results available here at the Denver Post.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-14-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Colorado Department of Education Home Page

Elementary schools are stabilizing and moving away from needing year round schools.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM

369 posts, read 966,191 times
Anyone know why the year round schedule has fallen out of favor?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Student population does not demand the need for it.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
My understanding is that year-round school was implemented as a short-term solution to over-crowded facilities in fast-growing areas while new buildings were under construction. Now that many new schools are open, the year-round option is no longer necessary. I kind of think it's a shame, because the year-round calendar worked very well for my family.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-14-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My understanding is that year-round school was implemented as a short-term solution to over-crowded facilities in fast-growing areas while new buildings were under construction. Now that many new schools are open, the year-round option is no longer necessary. I kind of think it's a shame, because the year-round calendar worked very well for my family.
This is correct. Also: only elementary schools are on year-round schedules. This is hard on families who have children in both an elementary and a middle or high school. The children were not on the same schedules. While it is possible to put both middle and high schools on year-round schedules, it is very difficult at the high school level when you factor in the myriad of co-curricular activities (like speech and debate, choirs, bands, etc.) and extracurricular activities (sports and clubs) that meet after school during a specific time of year. There is also state, national, and/or international tests (state mandated ACT, Advanced Placement tests, International Baccalaureate tests) that must be taken on specific dates. If a student is off during those times, then he/she must either skip his/her vacation to participate, or not participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: