Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times

Advertisements

To the OP.....Get outta your house...face to the west[or the east or the North or the South].....if that view ain't WORLD CLASS their aint such a thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Ditto that! Probably the biggest reason Denver is atop my list of places to retire to. I have not seen an off-street paved bike trail system any better and any more extensive than Denver's anywhere else in the US. When it comes to bike amenties, Denver is on par with places like Amsterdam.
i'm assuming you've never been to amsterdam then.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM

148 posts, read 290,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
really? starz is better than the brattle, coolidge corner, kendall, harvard film archive, sommerville theatre and west newton? boston has by far the best independent theatres of any city in the country, especially given its size. starz has a good lineup of movies, but its the only one in the city. the mayan (architecture aside) doesn't veer far from the mainstream indies.
Yes. Really.
For International Films.

I did not say, Independent film. I said, International film. Starz offers more quality international films than the theaters we visited in Mass during our time there (2004-2007). In addition, Starz offers free films (courtesy of The Tattered Bookstore, among others) to the general public. And, you do not have to pay for parking at Starz. You get your parking tab Validated. Can you park for free at Kendall Square? Also, if you are a member of the Alliance Francaise, you can always see French films on Monday and Tuesday, for half price, with your A.F. card.

The main reasons for us to be here are a better job, more cultural opportunities (than Virginia Beach, our last location), lower humidity, and cheaper cost of living than the East Coast. The mountains are a plus, but not the absolute end-all be-all to us.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Unfortunately the OP brings up a great point. Denver doesn't really have any single thing that is "World Class." I wish we did, but we're not there yet. I'd say that Fastracks in it's ambition is widely envied and copied throughout the nation, particularly among comparable cities to Denver, but it is also far from complete and even on completion may not be "World Class." Our art museum is good, and our library impressive, but not "World Class." Our parks system may come close, though having arrived in Denver during a recession it's hard to tell as it seems maintenance has been cut back some. The closest thing we may have is our bike culture, and I'm not sure that counts.

If only Denver would celebrate brewing more. That's one of the areas where we really *could* be "World Class." And if we can keep our railroad culture alive (and can finally get a standard front range line) we might eventually score there, too, though existing plans for Union Station will complicate that somewhat.

Otherwise, we're just a city with lots of cool little things. I'd love for us to really shine in a couple areas someday (on par with some major cities like SF, NY, London, Paris, etc...in just a few things, though), but I certainly wouldn't want that at the expense of our lifestyle, population or environment. Though hopeful, may we just can't have our cake and eat it too.
What is Fasttracks?
Thanks!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM

148 posts, read 290,735 times
Btw; need to clarify... the A.F. offer is only good at Denver Landmark theaters. Not the Starz film center. But, every month, the Starz film center offers a French film, with a reception afterwards; complete with good wine and cheese.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
Ok now, before I actually post this, be kind.

I would argue that Denver has world-class suburbs. Having lived in suburbs of NYC and Philly and having married a guy who grew up in the suburbs of D.C., L.A. and Boston, we cannot believe how superior the suburbs of Denver are. You can flame on about sprawl et al. but we can't all live in the city, and believe me, dollar for dollar, Denver suburbs are the bom-diggity compared to those of the five "World Class" cities we've lived outside of before.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Ok now, before I actually post this, be kind.

I would argue that Denver has world-class suburbs. Having lived in suburbs of NYC and Philly and having married a guy who grew up in the suburbs of D.C., L.A. and Boston, we cannot believe how superior the suburbs of Denver are. You can flame on about sprawl et al. but we can't all live in the city, and believe me, dollar for dollar, Denver suburbs are the bom-diggity compared to those of the five "World Class" cities we've lived outside of before.
Why how DARE you promote the suburbs!

(just kidding). Actually, I have nothing against the suburbs, but when it comes to luxury, beautiful suburban living, west coast suburbia is the cream of the crop. I'd rank Scottsdale AZ, the Summerlin part of Las Vegas, almost all of north county San Diego and southern Orange County, and the Silicon Valley/San Jose area leaps and bounds ahead of any of Denver's suburbs on a "world class" scale.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
I would add to the list above.

Denver does have a world class system of bike trails. Denver also has one of the fittest and healthy populations in the country. take those for what ever they are worth.
Fittest in the country, but we as a collective group are nowhere near as fit compared to most of the world. The curse of being American.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM

299 posts, read 712,028 times
Ok so now we have world class bike trails and a world class airport?

Let's get serious, Denver isn't really a world-class place in any specific categories.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,479 times
world class bike trails, airport, brewpubs and brewfest,mmj, some of the healthiest people, concert venue,top sports and access to world class hiking and skiing. that's enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver