U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2010, 01:06 AM

5,457 posts, read 13,498,252 times
Default I-70 small towns east of Denver -- PHOTO TOUR

Occasionally people ask about living in small towns that are near Denver. Of all the directions one could go, I-70 east of the city on the high plains is frequently overlooked. Some of these towns-- Bennett in particular-- are practically the latest exurbs/satelite suburbs of Denver, with a new King Soopers shopping center and modern suburban golf course developments (Antelope Hills-- not pictured in the tour, unfortunately). Some of these are still very rural, closely knit small towns and haven't changed much at all. Funny how the main street through Strasburg is still called "Colfax Ave," on the same exact grid alignment as the Colfax through Denver, forming the boundary between Adams and Arapahoe County. In Watkins there was a car show and in Byers there was some kind of live music festival going on today. Hopefully these pictures I took today can give people an idea what these places look like. I suggest clicking the "View as Slideshow" options:

Watkins:
Watkins - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502130845/ - broken link)

Bennett:
Bennett - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502147827/ - broken link)

Strasburg:
Strasburg - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502166457/ - broken link)

Byers:
Byers - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624626933730/ - broken link)

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see Deer Trail, the next town to the east in Arapahoe County.

Great local newspaper to learn more about these communities: The I-70 Scout Newspaper.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 08-01-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM
WiW

164 posts, read 274,733 times
THank you for sharing and putting them on Flickr. Your pictures are more enjoyable in a slide show than in-line on this forum.

Thanks again for ALL your photo tours.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 AM

5,457 posts, read 13,498,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
THank you for sharing and putting them on Flickr. Your pictures are more enjoyable in a slide show than in-line on this forum.

Thanks again for ALL your photo tours.
You're welcome! I used to post 50, 75, 100 pictures right on the thread, but it turns into a bandwith hog, and I don't think "hotlinking" is technically allowed by Flickr (and the other free sites) unless if you put a link from each picture to its Flickr page. This way you can look at small thumbnails, click on any individual photo you want to see, or just watch an automatic slideshow.

If you want to follow the continuation of where this photo tour ends, where I head south from Byers along "Exmoor Rd" into Elbert County, click here: Elbert, Elizabeth, and Eastern Douglas County Colorado (PHOTO TOUR).

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM

1,724 posts, read 2,766,031 times
I have to spread reputation around before I give you another rep point, unfortunately!
Great photo set! I keep meaning to get out to some of the eastern plains towns but it never seems like I have the time.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,193,662 times
I'm always fascinated at how practical towns like these are (and need to be.) There is very little "fat" on them. Just what businesses and services it takes to keep the town, the people and the local industry / agriculture going. Great pics!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Occasionally people ask about living in small towns that are near Denver. Of all the directions one could go, I-70 east of the city on the high plains is frequently overlooked. Some of these towns-- Bennett in particular-- are practically the latest exurbs/satelite suburbs of Denver, with a new King Soopers shopping center and modern suburban golf course developments (Antelope Hills-- not pictured in the tour, unfortunately). Some of these are still very rural, closely knit small towns and haven't changed much at all. Funny how the main street through Strasburg is still called "Colfax Ave," on the same exact grid alignment as the Colfax through Denver, forming the boundary between Adams and Arapahoe County. In Watkins there was a car show and in Byers there was some kind of live music festival going on today. Hopefully these pictures I took today can give people an idea what these places look like. I suggest clicking the "View as Slideshow" options:

Watkins:
Watkins - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502130845/ - broken link)

Bennett:
Bennett - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502147827/ - broken link)

Strasburg:
Strasburg - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624502166457/ - broken link)

Byers:
Byers - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624626933730/ - broken link)

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see Deer Trail, the next town to the east in Arapahoe County.

Great local newspaper to learn more about these communities: [URL="http://www.i-70scout.com/"]The I-70 Scout Newspaper[/URL].
I have been to Byers, and it is dump of a town! I went to their general store, and I couldn't believe what I saw! Drug deals going down right there in the parking lot! And it's right next door to the sheriff's office! They have to have dirty cops there to let that kind of thing go on. And did you see the trailer park across from the store? It looks like the town dump! I can tell you, I was glad to get out of there. Some of the people in the store were nice, but overall, I would have to say the town is a dump!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 PM

525 posts, read 536,829 times
I am fascinated by the Eastern Plains!! I took a trip from Cheyenne to Denver on US 85 and I was shocked at how different the character of the towns east of I-25 are than the Urban Corridor. Nunn, Ault, Eaton, Greeley, Evans, La Salle, and Gilcrest look like towns that would fit in perfectly in Kansas or Nebraska!

I am really eager to see towns like Lamar, La Junta, Burlington, Wray, Akron, and Sterling. I always hear about them during the local weather reports and try to imagine what they look like. I will have to take a road trip soon I suppose!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 AM

8,460 posts, read 10,824,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am really eager to see towns like Lamar, La Junta, Burlington, Wray, Akron, and Sterling. I always hear about them during the local weather reports and try to imagine what they look like. I will have to take a road trip soon I suppose!
I know a guy from La Junta. He's alright.

Burlington seems like a really unfriendly place. That goes for Kanorado as well (watch out for the dogs).

Wray is very nice. Kind of a treed/hilly oasis in the middle of barren flatness.

In Akron, everybody seemed related.

Sterling is just okay, quaint in parts, seems rather unfriendly as well (IMO). As they say, a river runs through it.

Yuma, the lady at 7-11 made a new pizza just for me because the one on the rack was old.

Limon is Truck Stop U.S.A. in case you've never been. There's a really cheap 70's era motel there that has a clerk that will chide you if you're a Broncos fan.

DISCLAIMER: When I say "seems rather unfriendly", or a "really unfriendly place", upon each visit it always feels like nobody wants me around. Holyoke fits this as well.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,366 times
Pass on La Junta. If the cops dont know you, they soon will. Very nosey City officials, but very unfriendly commerece....its a buy and get out attitude there. The General public dont want to know you, if you say "Hello", be prepared to be met with a cold shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver