U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 AM

33 posts, read 72,183 times

Advertisements

Are the winters colder and longer than here in New York? Is it true it snows sometimes in May/June? Do people wear shorts in the winter time, because the sun is more intense than here? Do people tend to get sick with fevers during that season? Are the winters are comparably the same or different?

Please someone describe, or give me an idea how the winters are besides being cold and dreary. I might be there in November.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM

75 posts, read 276,187 times
Coming from the east part of the country (MI), the winters are definitely sunnier and can be warmer than New York. The trade off on this however is that our snow season last from Oct - May. With that said though, snow doesn't stay long because the sun tends to come out and melt it off. We can have a couple of weeks w/o snow on the ground an temps in the 50s / 60s; however the mercury can also dip below 0 and sometimes does. In my two years of being here, I've found that we tend to get the most snow Oct - Dec and then again Mar - Apr. Jan/Feb tend to be sunny and dry with warm chinook winds blowing off the mountains. We can get snow in May (as we did this past May), but it's usually only once every couple of years.

Denver is known for weather extremes because there is no water to temper the climate and we're also 1-mile above sea level. Elevation impacts climate around here far more than in NY and is also what can cause our temp to go from 60 one day to -10 the next.

November is a good time to come to Denver as we still can have sunny days that can be in the 70s, but also could have an 8-inch snowstorm. I would recommend bringing both shorts and a good jacket just incase.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM

205 posts, read 426,594 times
I second what daniboi81 said. I grew up in CT near New York and the winters here are definitely different from back east. The weather here is much less predictable. One thing that I noticed is that if I'm in the sun, temperatures in Denver feel warmer. I'm not sure if it's because it's drier or not, but it makes the colder temps easier for me to deal with. I don't really feel the bone chilling cold that I felt in CT and NY. I used to wear a long wool coat most winter days and I just don't drag it out that much here.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM

5,858 posts, read 9,493,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleures87 View Post
Are the winters colder and longer than here in New York?
Yes, but winters are much drier and sunnier here, which tends to make a comparison difficult. Most people tend to prefer Southwest winters because there's much more sun and it's drier. People tend to think Northeast winters are gloomy, damp and grey, and as a result they don't like Northeast winters as much.

Quote:
Is it true it snows sometimes in May/June?
Yes

Quote:
Do people wear shorts in the winter time, because the sun is more intense than here?
Yes

Quote:
Do people tend to get sick with fevers during that season?
I think it's the same as anywhere else.

Quote:
Please someone describe, or give me an idea how the winters are besides being cold and dreary. I might be there in November.
November is barely the start of winter in Denver. I certainly would not call it "dreary."

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,524,264 times
Born, raised and spent the first 27 years of my life in the Boston area. I've spent several years in Baltimore and Cleveland.

I'll take the Denver winters over any one of those areas. Yes, we may get snow in May but we also get (near) 60 degree temps in January and February. Also, when it snows it is typically gone in a few days and doesn't 'hang around' for months as it tends to do in the northeast and midwest. I think when people describe winters as lasting from Oct/May it is misleading. Yes, we see snow in October (so does MA and OH BTW) and in May but it is not a constant, continuous pattern of snow.

Compared to a northeast winter, a Denver winter cannot be considered dreary.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM

111 posts, read 256,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Born, raised and spent the first 27 years of my life in the Boston area. I've spent several years in Baltimore and Cleveland.
This pretty much makes you an expert on weather then. Not sure what winters are like in MD, but I'm assuming they can't be as bad as Cleveland or Boston.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

20,917 posts, read 39,213,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac10 View Post
This pretty much makes you an expert on weather then. Not sure what winters are like in MD, but I'm assuming they can't be as bad as Cleveland or Boston.
My first 26 years were in Baltimore (Charm City) and the next 31 were in the DC area, barely 40-60 miles away. The winters are gray, chilly and damp; a bit of snow now and then, not much to recommend. A fair amount of sunshine but with the humidity it's just bone chilling, unlike here in Colorado. There is no lake-effect snow in Baltimore, unlike Cleveland or Buffalo. Not sure about Boston, which I'd expect to be classic New England blustery and bone chilling too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,524,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac10 View Post
MD winters weren't as cold/snowy as Cleveland or Boston. We did get hit with some pretty bad snow every 3rd year. They got buried with snow this year. But, as Mike mentioned, they were still pretty gray and dreary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver