U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills, New York, NY
290 posts, read 592,939 times
Reputation: 133

Advertisements

So my girlfriend and I have been seriously contemplating making the move to Denver from Orlando over the past few months, and amongst our researching she found this site about a "utopia" kind of community just outside of downtown Denver called Stapleton. So I was wondering, is the place legit?! Or is it more so a wannabe ideal kind of neighborhood?

We have a place outside of Orlando here called Celebration that was supposed to be that utopia community, but I don't think it worked out like the way they planned.

Just looking to get some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,301,389 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
So my girlfriend and I have been seriously contemplating making the move to Denver from Orlando over the past few months, and amongst our researching she found this site about a "utopia" kind of community just outside of downtown Denver called Stapleton. So I was wondering, is the place legit?! Or is it more so a wannabe ideal kind of neighborhood?

We have a place outside of Orlando here called Celebration that was supposed to be that utopia community, but I don't think it worked out like the way they planned.

Just looking to get some insight.
I live in Stapleton... have never been to Celebration, but I've seen it on TV. It's my understanding that Celebration is more a community unto itself, whereas Stapleton is more just another neighborhood within Denver that they've built on more of an urban model rather than suburban.

Personally I love it here, and it's the best neighborhood I've ever lived in. People in Stapleton tend to be 30s to 40s, have babies/young kids, ourtdoorsy, liberal, and social. Obviously not everyone fits that exact description, but probably the majority do. Also many gay couples live in Stapleton, a fair number with kids. It's semi-racially diverse (maybe 20% of residents aren't white?), within 15 min. of everything in central Denver.

I wouldn't call it Utopia, but it works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
 
694 posts, read 1,794,201 times
Reputation: 479
I've been to Celebration, have friends in Stapleton, and live in another new urbanist community in north Denver, Bradburn Village. Stapleton is similar to Celebration in that it is mixed-use, has neotraditional architecture, and is pedestrian oriented. Stapleton is larger, and is surrounded by other neighborhoods, and does a much better job of having a mix of housing types and price points than Celebration.

I'm unsure what you mean by "utopia" but if by that you mean very friendly and community oriented, Stapleton fits the bill (as does Bradburn).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Eastside of Denver(:
84 posts, read 297,744 times
Reputation: 67
Umm...Stapleton is actually about 60-70% non-white...not sure where you got the 20% from. It's a great neighborhood, but surrounded on (almost) all sides by very bad ones, so sometimes the gang issues and crime spills over onto the border of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,301,389 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2010 View Post
Umm...Stapleton is actually about 60-70% non-white...not sure where you got the 20% from. It's a great neighborhood, but surrounded on (almost) all sides by very bad ones, so sometimes the gang issues and crime spills over onto the border of the neighborhood.
I live in Stapleton and it isn't that diverse by a long shot. Of non-whites in Stapleton, probably Asian is the largest group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 AM
 
54 posts, read 117,029 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Umm...Stapleton is actually about 60-70% non-white...not sure where you got the 20% from. It's a great neighborhood, but surrounded on (almost) all sides by very bad ones, so sometimes the gang issues and crime spills over onto the border of the neighborhood.
This is wrong. I can't fathom how someone could think as much. Denver as a whole is around 65 percent Caucasian. If what you are writing was true, and it in no way is, Stapleton would be a real stand out in the Denver area.

I would guess Denverian is about right based on my experience. The area does have some socio-economic diversity but by and large the buyers are more affluent than their suburban counterparts owing to the generally higher prices and mostly higher taxes, white, english speaking and educated.

The area is surrounded to the north by a highway, which is not much of a neighborhood. To the east by a hospital and a park which again is not much of a neighborhood, to the south by east Denver and west Aurora which has experienced some real price gains as a result of Stapleton. To the west you have what was traditionally the "hood" since white flight in the 60's in an area called North Park Hill. You also have my neighborhood to the west, south park hill, where at least on my street you are not getting into anything with more than 2 bedrooms for less than 700k, hardly a ghetto and since we abut North Park Hill in a more real way and somehow have managed to avoid these supposed "gang spill-overs" for the past decade I have lived here I don't really see any issues.

Is Stapleton a utopia? I could not say, but I do like their parks, tennis courts and well built houses. Quite a few nurses and doctors in our building have moved their for the convenient access to most of the major metro area hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,301,389 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
This is wrong. I can't fathom how someone could think as much. Denver as a whole is around 65 percent Caucasian. If what you are writing was true, and it in no way is, Stapleton would be a real stand out in the Denver area.

I would guess Denverian is about right based on my experience. The area does have some socio-economic diversity but by and large the buyers are more affluent than their suburban counterparts owing to the generally higher prices and mostly higher taxes, white, english speaking and educated.

The area is surrounded to the north by a highway, which is not much of a neighborhood. To the east by a hospital and a park which again is not much of a neighborhood, to the south by east Denver and west Aurora which has experienced some real price gains as a result of Stapleton. To the west you have what was traditionally the "hood" since white flight in the 60's in an area called North Park Hill. You also have my neighborhood to the west, south park hill, where at least on my street you are not getting into anything with more than 2 bedrooms for less than 700k, hardly a ghetto and since we abut North Park Hill in a more real way and somehow have managed to avoid these supposed "gang spill-overs" for the past decade I have lived here I don't really see any issues.

Is Stapleton a utopia? I could not say, but I do like their parks, tennis courts and well built houses. Quite a few nurses and doctors in our building have moved their for the convenient access to most of the major metro area hospitals.
All pretty accurate. I love Park Hill too... just driving through it and looking at the houses. One thing I like about Stapleton is that you do experience a lot of diversity, jut going to any of the Stapleton shopping areas due to the surrounding diversity. That's probably why I find it odd when people say Denver isn't diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Eastside of Denver(:
84 posts, read 297,744 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
This is wrong. I can't fathom how someone could think as much. Denver as a whole is around 65 percent Caucasian. If what you are writing was true, and it in no way is, Stapleton would be a real stand out in the Denver area.
Umm...Denver's actually around 50% non-Hispanic white. Look it up. There's no way Denver is that white, ha. Just saying (unless you're including the suburbs as Denver). And what's that supposed to mean, "if it was true, Stapleton would be a real standout in the Denver area?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM
 
54 posts, read 117,029 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Umm...Denver's actually around 50% non-Hispanic white. Look it up.
Denver is actually around 70 percent white. Multiple years of data.

http://www.metrodenver.org/demograph...ethnicity.html
Ummmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM
 
Location: western Centennial, CO
655 posts, read 1,810,046 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
Denver is actually around 70 percent white. Multiple years of data.

Metro Denver
Ummmm.
Well that's data for 'Metro Denver' and cityboy2010 is talking about the city of Denver which is in fact about 50% white so double-umm (sounds like a kind of bubble gum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top