U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,336 times

Advertisements

My husband I are moving to Denver in November. We are avid snow boarders and want to buy season passes while they are still inexpensive. I have boarded at the Breckinridge/keystone/a basin resorts and loved them, but not sure that is an easy day drive from Denver??? Would like some advice on whether we should buy the Colorado pass or the Super Pass. We have never been to Winter Park so we don't know anything about the mountain or the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,901,999 times
Breck, Keystone and A-Basin are three of the closest resorts to Denver. They are all about an hour away. Winter Park is about the same distance from Denver. Those are about the easiest day trips in skiing. Most people who ski those areas go to and from Denver in a single day.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,336 times
Thanks for the info davidv! So would u suggest the Super Pass where we can go unlimited days to Winter Park/Mary Jane and Copper...or the Colorado Pass which would give us unlimited access to Breck/ Keystone and A-Basin?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 AM

54 posts, read 116,956 times
Loveland is the closest. Generally everyone I know buys a season pass to Loveland and 4 packs to other resorts.

Breck kind of sucks for boards because of all the traversing and mid mountain flats. A-Basin is just flat out worthless these days since they joined the larger pass program. Simply too much traffic and a design that funnels most of it into a single dangerous choke point. Keystone, I go if it is free.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM

111 posts, read 256,292 times
The EPIC Pass, which can be found on Vail's website, includes Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, and Heavenly if you ever find yourself in Tahoe.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM

331 posts, read 886,920 times
For me, the choice was simple... I've never snowboarded at Vail, and I learned to snowboard at Winter Park. So this year I'm getting the Epic Pass, to be able to hit Vail, A-Basin, Breck, Keystone, etc.

If I find that Winter Park was more fun, then next year I'll get the Super Pass.

At my current job, the big debate at the moment is "Super Pass" or "Colorado Pass." I don't think you can go wrong either way. Also, most of the friends I've made so far are hitting up Vail this winter, so that makes the choice even easier. ;-)

Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 PM

109 posts, read 244,078 times
All resorts in Summit County, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Winter park are easy day drives from Denver, as well as Loveland and Eldora.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:36 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,832,886 times
Seems there are 2 kinds of skiers - those that like going to a different mountain every day and those that like to get familiar with a place. I'm the latter.

Not interested in Vail - the extra 45 minut4es each way isn't worth it to me for a day trip.

Last year we had a Colorado Pass, good at A Basin, Keystone and Breck. While Breck is a great tourist destination for a multi-day trip, it's a poor choice for a day trip, given the time it takes to park, take the shuttle bus to the gondola, take the gondola up the mountain, etc. So, we rarely went there.

So, this year, we got the newly offered Keystone/A Basin Pass. Those 2 mts. are fine for me and the pass is cheaper.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

65 posts, read 195,968 times
I have a question about this; this will be our first full winter in Denver, and plan to start skiing/snowboarding. What's a 'pass', exactly? We will most likely be on the 'bunny slope' this year; so I am wondering if we need a pass, just for that. Are you required to purchase a pass, in order to ski? Or is it just more economical to purchase a pass, if you ski often (say, every weekend).

Also, since we'll be learning to ski, where would be the best place to go to do that? Do we need to go to a ski area in the mountains, or, is there somewhere closer? I doubt it! But it's worth asking anyway.

thanks!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,901,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
I have a question about this; this will be our first full winter in Denver, and plan to start skiing/snowboarding. What's a 'pass', exactly? We will most likely be on the 'bunny slope' this year; so I am wondering if we need a pass, just for that. Are you required to purchase a pass, in order to ski? Or is it just more economical to purchase a pass, if you ski often (say, every weekend).

Also, since we'll be learning to ski, where would be the best place to go to do that? Do we need to go to a ski area in the mountains, or, is there somewhere closer? I doubt it! But it's worth asking anyway.

thanks!
Passes are for those who plan on skiing often. If you plan on going fewer than 6-8 times, you might want to purchase day tickets. Never pay full price for a ticket. There are always discounted tickets to be bought from various different places.

Next, take lessons. It doesn't matter which resort you go to, you will definitely not regret it. Not only will they teach you how to ski/board, they will also teach you mountain ettiquette, which will result in you not upsetting so many of the advanced skiers/boarders. You will quickly graduate from the bunny slope to the green and blue runs (many times you'll be ready after one or two lessons).

Lastly, You need to go to the mountains to learn how to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or