U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

3,990 posts, read 2,421,803 times

Advertisements

We do have a group of Bronco fans that all get together at a sports bar to watch the games here in Pinellas. You should swing by sometime!

Really!? Where????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 PM

306 posts, read 198,330 times
Default Good timing

This is such a timely post for me to read. I am considering moving to the Tampa Bay area but I still feel a desire to move back to Denver. I have lived in Denver three different times for a total of 14 years and love the city, state, etc.

My only real issue with Denver is the isolation from most of the country.
It feels too landlocked and homogenous at times. Denver can also be an "employers" job market. So many people want to move there for the lifestyle it helps to supress incomes.

The people are pretty cool, the mountains are great, downtown is fun and there is a ton to do there. The climate in Denver is underated in my opinion. The dry air can be a problem at times but there is a lot of sunshine.

Denver has a terrific overall quality of life

I just don't know that much about Tampa except I love the beaches of SE Florida and for me it would be a new adventure. Staying clear of snow is appealing even though I love to ski.

If you have more insight to Tampa and the comparison, feel free to DM me.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM

401 posts, read 584,646 times
Tampa to me is a small city with not much to do other than beaches, DisneyWorld, and Busch Gardens.
I have lived in the southeastern US all of my life and would very much like the change of four seasons and a better quality of life for my wife and two sons.

I would much prefer the dry air compared to the high humidity of the southeastern US. It does take some time to get use to the high humidity if you are not use to it. Also, the heat and humidity can be hell on your outside pets and certain plants.

Good luck on your moving decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
This is such a timely post for me to read. I am considering moving to the Tampa Bay area but I still feel a desire to move back to Denver. I have lived in Denver three different times for a total of 14 years and love the city, state, etc.

My only real issue with Denver is the isolation from most of the country.
It feels too landlocked and homogenous at times. Denver can also be an "employers" job market. So many people want to move there for the lifestyle it helps to supress incomes.

The people are pretty cool, the mountains are great, downtown is fun and there is a ton to do there. The climate in Denver is underated in my opinion. The dry air can be a problem at times but there is a lot of sunshine.

Denver has a terrific overall quality of life

I just don't know that much about Tampa except I love the beaches of SE Florida and for me it would be a new adventure. Staying clear of snow is appealing even though I love to ski.

If you have more insight to Tampa and the comparison, feel free to DM me.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM

How goes the Denver job search?
Mine has been very slow, but I am not giving up.
I have had enough of the heat, hurricanes, and humidity of the south and desperately want a change for my family, including the better quality of life and schools that Denver has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
We do have a group of Bronco fans that all get together at a sports bar to watch the games here in Pinellas. You should swing by sometime!

Really!? Where????

Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 PM

11,005 posts, read 10,021,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

Really!? Where????
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post.

Check your pm's!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Bosco55David, how goes the job search in CO?
Mine is very slow, but I will not give up because that is where I want to be.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 880,644 times
Meanwhile...back to the original post..

After making the same move myself 3 years ago, I can speak from experience.
Cost of living overall is 15% higher in Denver than in Tampa.
For a breakdown:
-- House Pricing - substantially higher
-- Rentals - slightly lover
-- Groceries - the same
-- Restaurants - much higher
-- Gasoline - much lower
-- Insurance - much lower
-- Sales tax - higher
-- Property tax - much lower
-- Automobile prices - lower
-- Electricity - much lower if with InterMountain Rural Electric
------------ - much higher if with Xcel Energy
-- Natural Gas - same
-- Landscaping plants - substantially higher (just had to throw and off the wall one in here )
-- Wages - higher
-- Additional Taxes - State Income Tax - right about 4%
-------------------- Personal property tax on vehicles paid YEARLY when you renew your plates based on car's original factory MSRP
-------------------- (I paid around $450 to get the tags for a 1 year old Dodge Ram, $275 for a 4 year old van)
-------------------- Emissions Inspections - required if you live in anywhere in the Front Range

Basically, if you are a renter and don't eat out a lot (no lunches and only dinner once or twice a month) then you will find Denver will be the same as if not a bit cheaper than Tampa. If you like to shop, eat out regularly and spend nights on the town, your wallet will hit a culture shock.

Nav

Last edited by Nav; 09-24-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the list and update.

Where did you settle in CO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Meanwhile...back to the original post..

After making the same move myself 3 years ago, I can speak from experience.
Cost of living overall is 15% higher in Denver than in Tampa.
For a breakdown:
-- House Pricing - substantially higher
-- Rentals - slightly lover
-- Groceries - the same
-- Restaurants - much higher
-- Gasoline - much lower
-- Insurance - much lower
-- Sales tax - higher
-- Property tax - much lower
-- Automobile prices - lower
-- Electricity - much lower if with InterMountain Rural Electric
------------ - much higher if with Xcel Energy
-- Natural Gas - same
-- Landscaping plants - substantially higher (just had to throw and off the wall one in here )
-- Wages - higher
-- Additional Taxes - State Income Tax - right about 4%
-------------------- Personal property tax on vehicles paid YEARLY when you renew your plates based on car's original factory MSRP
-------------------- (I paid around $450 to get the tags for a 1 year old Dodge Ram, $275 for a 4 year old van)
-------------------- Emissions Inspections - required if you live in anywhere in the Front Range

Basically, if you are a renter and don't eat out a lot (no lunches and only dinner once or twice a month) then you will find Denver will be the same as if not a bit cheaper than Tampa. If you like to shop, eat out regularly and spend nights on the town, your wallet will hit a culture shock.

Nav

Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,690 times
Okay having been a native of Tampa and having lived in Denver. I found Denver to be of a better cost and class of living.The people are friendlier and the weather is quite nicer in Denver as opposed to Tampa. Everywhere right now is an employer's market with the economy having bottomed out.This is not only a Denver issue. When I was in Co I lived in Arvada which is a smaller suburb of Denver and still quite close enough and very easy to access Downtown Denver. Denver Bus System was awesome as opposed to Tampa.I could get anywhere I needed to on the bus or LightRail System. I will never go back to Florida other than to visit family that is there.The very furthest south I would ever consider is Georgia.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

197 posts, read 181,705 times
I am considering relocating to DEN from Southeast Florida (Broward County, Fort lauderdale area).

The job issue is a concern. My S.O. can transfer with his job, but not me. I have visited and I really like the following:

- I love public transit (light rail ! )
- decent schools for a future kiddo (as opposed to Southeast Florida, where there is only a handful of areas that offer passable public schools, and those require you to commute through traffic and live in the farflung burbs on the edge of the buggy Everglades)
- I love bicycling and Denver is a great biking city
- homes are becoming more affordable in decent areas close to downtown and light rail
- actual seasons
- lack of humidity
- mountains, camping, and general scenic beauty (all we have is beaches and swamps within a few hours of where we live)
-outdoorsy, progressive folk
- no hurricanes, little potential for natural disaster

The upsides to Florida:
- proximity to water, I like to scuba dive and I know I'd be resigned to one or two trips a year if we move to CO
- my job
- friends here (we don't have family here)
-home prices have declined enough that we could actually have a boat in our backyard on a canal, if we stayed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver