U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Chihuahuan Desert
3,174 posts, read 7,296,053 times
Reputation: 2120

Advertisements

But if you just want to walk out the door, stroll a few blocks to a park and let your dog off leash to run and play, forget it.

Dumb question, but what if I just want to walk around the neighborhood with my dog ON the leash? Is the white van going to ticket me for that? My last dog was trained to do his business in approved spots (pet area @ apt complex, my yard, etc) PRIOR to going for a walk and I never let him go in anyone's yard, so neighborhood walks weren't a problem in cities where we lived. Next dog will be trained the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,361 posts, read 37,858,974 times
Reputation: 13069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
But if you just want to walk out the door, stroll a few blocks to a park and let your dog off leash to run and play, forget it.

Dumb question, but what if I just want to walk around the neighborhood with my dog ON the leash? Is the white van going to ticket me for that? My last dog was trained to do his business in approved spots (pet area @ apt complex, my yard, etc) PRIOR to going for a walk and I never let him go in anyone's yard, so neighborhood walks weren't a problem in cities where we lived. Next dog will be trained the same way.
On-leash is no problem at all.
I have always trained my dogs the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Tokyo, London, Oxford or somewhere on earth
3 posts, read 9,030 times
Reputation: 11
Default off lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
I never thought of Denver being Dog unfriendly. There are laws that dogs must be on leash, like in most states, ...
Sorry for interrupting but may I ask you about what attitude people usually have towards dogs walking off lead in your country?

Are there dog haters who dare complain about even well-behaved dogs as they see them being off lead? How do the police act if they are called to the scene where an off-lead dog is just taking a rest calmly in a park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Chihuahuan Desert
3,174 posts, read 7,296,053 times
Reputation: 2120
The problem here is that there are many poorly trained dogs (or not trained at all) and poorly trained children, making a bad combination when they're together in public. So you're better off with your pooch on a leash. Just my $0.02 worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,361 posts, read 37,858,974 times
Reputation: 13069
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The problem here is that there are many poorly trained dogs (or not trained at all) and poorly trained children, making a bad combination when they're together in public. So you're better off with your pooch on a leash. Just my $0.02 worth.
I concur with Yukon.
And yes, there are dog-haters--that's why there are no dog parks in central Denver.
OTOH
I do know some people with well-trained dogs who do walk off-lead.
Sometimes it leads to problems, but not always.
I choose not to do this unless I am on a deserted beach at 6am, or out in the woods at dusk, or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, London, Oxford or somewhere on earth
3 posts, read 9,030 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The problem here is that there are many poorly trained dogs (or not trained at all) and poorly trained children, making a bad combination when they're together in public.
Thanks yukon.

The same problem can be seen in most parts of Japan That's why the country as a whole is not friendly towards dogs. Too many unsocialized dogs and humans are growling at each other day after day Though mine is well-trained and problem-free dog, some people show an expression of horror as they see him just walking to heel on a lead in the street. He is a very large dog indeed but only a golden retriever -- one of man's best friends I suppose.

BB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, London, Oxford or somewhere on earth
3 posts, read 9,030 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I do know some people with well-trained dogs who do walk off-lead.
Sometimes it leads to problems, but not always.
I choose not to do this unless I am on a deserted beach at 6am, or out in the woods at dusk, or something like that.
Thanks cil.

I always walk my dog off lead in a park even in Japan. Most of the humans including kids I come across on walkies are very friendly. People used to ask me why my dog would not run away but nowadays they seem to have realised the truth There are loads of ex-dog-haters -- most of them only had a phobia about dogs -- who have become a dog-lover while seeing my dog off lead in a park. The problem is that there are some unsocialised dog-haters who dare call the police or the town hall, saying: "There's someone in a park letting his dog off lead!" Unfortunately, I have to say they are NOT man's best friends

BB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Reunion, CO
118 posts, read 332,744 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Ask any dog owner who lives near City Park, Washington Park, Cheeseman Park, Harvard Park, Eisenhower Park etc etc. They will tell you about the unmarked white van that drives right onto the grass into the middle of the park, and its driver who gives out tickets.
I can attest, that it is a hilarious site when someone yells "VAN!". Everyone snatches up and leashes their dog and scatters. So long as you can outrun at least a couple other owners, you'll be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
 
196 posts, read 415,527 times
Reputation: 165
What IS the law about dogs in stores in Denver? I was surprised lately to see dogs in a Home Depot on Colorado Blvd and a large chain bookstore in Golden (not Borders, but another big chain whose name escapes me). WTF? What happens if these little canine darlings relieve themselves? What about folks with allergies? And no, I'm not a dog owner but I do volunteer for a dog adoption group - I like dogs! Just surprised that they're allowed in these retail establishments. The bookstore is carpeted for gosh sakes.

I used to live near Cranmer Park and there were always dogs off leash there, I thought it was allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Reunion, CO
118 posts, read 332,744 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
What IS the law about dogs in stores in Denver? I was surprised lately to see dogs in a Home Depot on Colorado Blvd and a large chain bookstore in Golden (not Borders, but another big chain whose name escapes me). WTF? What happens if these little canine darlings relieve themselves? What about folks with allergies? And no, I'm not a dog owner but I do volunteer for a dog adoption group - I like dogs! Just surprised that they're allowed in these retail establishments. The bookstore is carpeted for gosh sakes.

I used to live near Cranmer Park and there were always dogs off leash there, I thought it was allowed.

"Law" doesn't apply inside a retail store, instead store policies do (or should). To address the question though, the only B&M retail stores I've ever been in that allowed animals are
Petco and PetSmart. Perhaps you've seen an inordinate number of service dogs? Were they wearing special vests? They're usually exempted from most (all by law?) store policies.

Anyway, anyone know of any decent off-leash parks near 104th and Tower? Wife and I are getting a beagle puppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top