U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 26,997 times

Advertisements

Hi, thanks for the input. Of course I want my children to perform to their full potential and be motivated. But at the same time, I do not want them to be looked at as "exam scores" mainly rather than individuals. I just ordered a book from the core knowledge series to see what this really is about and will have to see what the benefits of each system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

92 posts, read 154,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledvashtame4ta View Post
Hi, thanks for the input. Of course I want my children to perform to their full potential and be motivated. But at the same time, I do not want them to be looked at as "exam scores" mainly rather than individuals. I just ordered a book from the core knowledge series to see what this really is about and will have to see what the benefits of each system is.
Love this.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,990,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledvashtame4ta View Post
Hi charest68, we too are going to be relocating to Denver from Phoenix some time next year. I read your post and was just curious what a core knowledge school is. Is it different than the public elementary schools? We are also looking to find the best schools in Denver so we can base our move to their location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charest68 View Post
Core Knowledge is a very highly sought after curriculum. Our daughter goes to a Core Knowledge charter school and we drive past about 6 schools to get there, but it's worth a much better education. I mean, if we've got to put up with Az schools, we might as well find the best ones, right? Anyway, look it up. I would not put my children in anything other than Core Knowledge schools now that we've been a part of it. www.coreknowledge.org
Good Luck to you and your family in the move!
I checked out this web site and am still not sure what sets the curriculum apart from other schools. The web site doesn't really give specifics. I guess what I'd want to know is, at a given grade level, what specifically are they taught that they aren't taught in a regular public school?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I checked out this web site and am still not sure what sets the curriculum apart from other schools. The web site doesn't really give specifics. I guess what I'd want to know is, at a given grade level, what specifically are they taught that they aren't taught in a regular public school?
It's been a long time since I've been involved in elementary education, but IIRC, Core Knowledge has some "Bible" that says what kids should know in each grade. I do recall hearing that by about 5th grade, Core Knowledge and my school district's curriculum (Boulder Valley School District) were indistinguishable. I guess it's just another way to reach the same place.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 AM

619 posts, read 1,956,512 times
From Wiki -
Quote:
Core Knowledge is an educational reform movement based on the premise that a grade-by-grade core of common learning is necessary to ensure a sound and fair elementary education. Based on a body of research in cognitive psychology and effective school systems worldwide, Core Knowledge posits that, in order to attain academic excellence, greater fairness, and higher literacy, early education curriculum should be solid, specific, shared, and sequenced. By teaching a body of specific, lasting knowledge in a way that allows children to succeed by gradually building on what they already know, the Core Knowledge mission is to provide all children, regardless of background, with the shared knowledge they need to be included in our national literate culture.
Two books—the Core Knowledge Preschool Sequence and the Core Knowledge Sequence, K-8—serve as the backbone of the Core Knowledge curriculum and outline the specific topics and skills to be covered in each subject area from grades PreK through 8.
In theory, Core Knowledge is more for the benefit of the whole rather than the individual student. If you travelled from one 2nd grade CK classroom to another, you would see extremely similar lesson plans. Traveling between non-CK 2nd grade classes, you would see a myriad of topics and lessons and teaching methods.

Core Knowledge is a more traditional fact-based education. Many elementary schools moved to a more exploration/discovery format in the past couple decades. Now there is a move to tradition yet again. This pendulum continues to swing back and forth.

HTH!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Core Knowledge is inspired by the writings of E.D. Hirsch, and his original book "Cultural Literacy" forms much of the basis of the "Bible" that Katiana mentioned. Just to be clear, we're talking about the "Bible" mainly metaphorically here as Core Knowledge is not a religious curriculum, though studies in all major world religions and philosophies are definitely included.

As mczabe mentioned, Core Knowledge is content-based curiculum, so it's unlike Montessori and many other curricula in that way. Another content-based curriculum is "Classical" education, which is similarly knowledge based but somewhat different in emphasis and content selection.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,990,170 times
thanks. Still don't really know how this:

"early education curriculum should be solid, specific, shared, and sequenced. By teaching a body of specific, lasting knowledge in a way that allows children to succeed by gradually building on what they already know"

is different than any other curriculum.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM

619 posts, read 1,956,512 times
Yes it is different - because in this case the curriculum is ideally shared by all children, not just those in one classroom, school or district. And the solid & specific knowledge is extremely specific...down to what artists should be studied in each grade, what exact books read, etc.

Sequencing and gradual building are building blocks of most curriculum today.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Yes it is different - because in this case the curriculum is ideally shared by all children, not just those in one classroom, school or district. And the solid & specific knowledge is extremely specific...down to what artists should be studied in each grade, what exact books read, etc.

Sequencing and gradual building are building blocks of most curriculum today.
Now that tfox has refreshed my mind about Hirsch, I did a google search on Core Knowledge. Here's the wiki version.

Core Knowledge Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a criticism:

Some see the cultural literacy approach of the Core Knowledge Curriculum as just a means for students to memorize trivia. The curriculum has also received criticism because one group has decided what is “best” for all students which could end up leaving minorities at a disadvantage (Oliva, 2009).

The curriculum is decided by a group, not by research.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 22,819 times
My children attend Vanguard Classical School in east Denver, it is a Core Knowledge charter school. We love it!

I don't see it as memorizing trivia at all. I see it as ensuring background knowledge that make them well-rounded. As for leaving minorities at a disadvantage.... if you read Hirsch's books, one of his big issues is that socio-economically disadvantaged children (often minorities) are not exposed to the same level/diversity of knowledge that middle class kids are, creating an achievement gap that gets larger and larger as the student progresses in school. Minority kids are also more likely to move often, and change schools, and with no consistency in curriculum from one program to the next, they are likely to miss important concepts or repeat things unnecessarily. Having a consistent curriculum like CK would go a long way in helping close that achievement gap.

My children's school is wonderfully racially and economically diverse. I pulled them from a Denver public school with a distinguished rating and good test scores, because I felt like they could be learning so much more content than they were. I am absolutely pleased and impressed with the CK program so far, and I see every day what they are being taught. Unless you have had personal experience with, I think it is hard to compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver