Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM

47 posts, read 181,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
The Denver area does get its share of snow and colder days. But, here are some comparisons on average daily high temps in January (coldest month of the year) from weather.com.

Denver - January average high: 47 degrees
Louisville, KY - January average high: 41 degrees
Nashville, TN - January average high: 46 degrees
Richmond, VA - January average high: 45 degrees

More northern cities:

St. Louis - January average high: 38 degrees
Washington DC - January average high: 42 degrees
Cincinnati, OH - January average high: 38 degrees

Due to the altitude and colder nights Denver gets more snow. But, due to the altitude and abundance of sun, during the day, the average day time high is warmer than places like Nashville, TN in the winter.

Denver is not south Florida for winter warmth, but it does compare to many northern-southern cities like Memphis, Nashville, Raleigh, etc.
Plus I'd rather deal with snow than freezing rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM

137 posts, read 399,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dply View Post
Plus I'd rather deal with snow than freezing rain.
As a person that has lived in many parts of the east, the damp cold is a lot more unpleasant than the dry cold.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM

140 posts, read 427,916 times
Shoot, last year in FL when it got down to 25 degrees, it felt like 10 in CO. I lived in CO through winter of 08-09 and delt with a couple days of below zero temps but that's it. I delivered pizza there and wore a sweatshirt every night I worked , unless it got below 20, which was pretty rare. Take it from someone who's lived in FL for 8 years; winters aren't that bad in CO. Even my friends from Orlando did fine visiting me when it was 5 degrees in Steamboat.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM

28 posts, read 76,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Old saying in Indiana is "April showers bring May flowers".
That old saying isn't just from Indiana, it's known everywhere in the USA. It's origin is as an mid-sixteenth century English proverb.

"Sweet April showers
Do spring May flowers."
Thomas Tusser, A Hundred Good Points of Husbandry, April Husbandry.

And it has nothing to do with the weather. It means that something good may happen as a result of unpleasant events. For instance, people who complain about Colorado weather may go back to where they came from because of that weather.

----------

Imho, it's really irritating to hear non-Coloradan's complain about the snow and winter driving here. That's one reason we're so annoyed by the Californians, Texans and (now folks from Florida!) that move here for "the better schools, less expensive housing, nicer people, fantastic outdoor activities, and lower crime rates" - they want to take from us what they deem as good and then rag on what they see as bad. But to those of us who love Colorado (including the snow, the biting cold, the dry hot summers and the challenge of driving down an ice and snow covered hill during rush hour) it's like you're crapping on our mother after stealing her jewelry... and that's just not nice of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver