Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times

Advertisements

As others have said, Colorado is part of the Southwest. Expect Mexicans.

Why should people have to accept you and your mixed bag heritage when you have such a problem accepting the backgrounds of others?

Many Mexicans in this state have been in this country longer than you or your family.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Colorado is definitly different than Texas. Personaly, I don`t like Texas. I know what it`s like to be in a city were most speak spanish and they don`t assumulate with other cultures. But Colorado isn`t like that plus there are many cities in colorado were you don`t hear a lot of people speaking spanish.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I will just say this: the East Coast including Florida is very different from the West, maybe that is what you are feeling?
It is just a different vibe all together, give it time and maybe give us mexicans a chance on the dance floor too. I would take you out but I am married with a kid now...

Last edited by Mach50; 10-15-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I will just say this: the East Coast including Florida is very different from the West, maybe that is what you are feeling?
It is just a different vibe all together, give it time and maybe give us mexicans a chance on the dance floor too. I would take you out but I am married with a kid now...
LOL, well thats a nicer response than what I've gotten thus far lol.

And why is it that I have a problem? I mean..dont get me wrong. I wont describe Denver as being 'segregated' because being this is not the south, I just cant put those words to this area. But its a western version of it.

Can anyone explain to me exactly how Colorado is so much more different than Texas? I mean...like Mach said, coming from the east (and have been to the east) Im able to see a bigger difference.

I understand people out here are more athletic and active, and aren't as pretentious as in parts of Texas. But Im finding that people out here still have the same erroneous stereotypes about people as do in Texas.

And then, what equally gets me are the several Hispanic and even other White guys who I've come across, knocking on Denver for being so 'White'...and that as a Black person, assume that I "wont meet many attractive guys out here, as there's so many White guys". As if me as a Black person, naturally wouldn't be attracted to one And does that imply that they would feel the same? I doubt I'd here such ridiculous words in New York, London or Paris...yet out here, people still haven't gotten over trivial stuff like that.

I guess it really takes being in other regions to notice it. But when I notice something abnormal, Im going to say something about it. And Im sure Mexicans were here before me; Color_ado isn't exactly an English word.

If Denver isn't like Texas, then it'd probabaly be better to relate it to...Kansas City?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
I'm just dumbfounded, must be the part of town you live in. Come to the south suburbs of Denver and you'll hear Spanish maybe once or twice a day, usually when in a Walmart or King Soopers. Go to Park Meadows and you'll hear more Arabic or Russian than Spanish.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
If Denver isn't like Texas, then it'd probabaly be better to relate it to...Kansas City?
IMO the two are nothing alike.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Most people will assume that you date only within your race-why are you so offended by that? If you want to meet people open your mouth and introduce yourself..if you are so open minded then why do you ONLY date white guys? I would think you would date someone who is a good person no matter what color he is..
I agree, when I was in Park Meadows I heard spainish a lot less- A lot of people from Texas move to Colorado as well as a lot of people from California-that is why people who are natives don't like Texans

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
My husband is from Tampa area- Seminole/Pinellas Park and has more family in Zephryhills, Dade City, and Ft. Lauderdale and I was a bit surprised that you said you didn't hear Spanish that often. Everytime we go into a convenience store, Walmart, mall, etc we heard Spanish not to mention other languages.
When I lived in Colorado Springs, I heard Spanish too. I also lived in Arizona, of course Spanish there.
Now, as I am up in Iowa- specifically Cushing Iowa- its 100% white. In fact, during my weeks stay in Cherokee/Cushing I saw 2 black people and probably a dozen Mexicans- obvious that is. Who knows how many "mixed".
And coming from VA at this point in my life- who cares?!! We are a transient generation and information is out there like never before.
So, other countries that take the time to learn English so they can cater to Americans...hmm...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
And why is it that I have a problem? I mean..dont get me wrong. I wont describe Denver as being 'segregated' because being this is not the south, I just cant put those words to this area. But its a western version of it.
The North and he West are more segregated than the South! Just check the Census reports!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I recommend that you learn Spanish. Why be illiterate among half the population? Just a suggestion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver