U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,184,972 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for the mix of pleasantville, plain vanilla with bike travel being the norm, hmm, maybe Fort Collins could be good? Not a suburb of Denver though. Ditto what everyone said - Littleton, Golden, Arvada, Louisville (and nearby Lafayette) all have old downtowns. Littleton has light rail to Denver and seems to be getting established, and Arvada will have light rail in about 4 years.

Denver does have its own neighborhood main streets - including Tennyson in the Highlands, South Pearl and South Gaylord (both very pleasant), and others I don't know about - so there are certainly places in Denver where one can locate that will give you the old town feel - neighborhoods of bungalows, where bike travel is accepted. So you may want to consider Denver neighborhoods during your search. Englewood is an older suburb, not sure if they have a main-street business district. Lowry and Stapleton may also be a possibility??

Longmont is also a possibility - depending on how you feel about the town and if the old town is vibrant enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
If you are looking for the mix of pleasantville, plain vanilla with bike travel being the norm, hmm, maybe Fort Collins could be good? Not a suburb of Denver though. Ditto what everyone said - Littleton, Golden, Arvada, Louisville (and nearby Lafayette) all have old downtowns. Littleton has light rail to Denver and seems to be getting established, and Arvada will have light rail in about 4 years.

Denver does have its own neighborhood main streets - including Tennyson in the Highlands, South Pearl and South Gaylord (both very pleasant), and others I don't know about - so there are certainly places in Denver where one can locate that will give you the old town feel - neighborhoods of bungalows, where bike travel is accepted. So you may want to consider Denver neighborhoods during your search. Englewood is an older suburb, not sure if they have a main-street business district. Lowry and Stapleton may also be a possibility??

Longmont is also a possibility - depending on how you feel about the town and if the old town is vibrant enough.
Just a small correction and some additions. Tennyson Street in the heart of the Berkeley Neighborhood of Denver. It was the original municipality of North Denver, which gave the area the description of North Denver. West Highland is to to South, across West 38th. Highland is to the east, south of 38 and West 32nd is a great little neighborhood, where Lowell intersects.

Englewood does indeed have an old commercial center of a Main Street; It is on South Broadway at Hampden Ave., north to Gerald and Floyd, not the Hampden Bypass which is south, but the old Hampden which goes past Swedish Hospital; this area near the hospital has some old commercial buildings.

Wheat Ridge is not mentioned often, but it does have an old city center main street on West 38th, just east of Wadsworth. There will be much development in this area as the North Denver area, along West 38th, is being rejuvenated and Wheat Ridge has done much improvement on the same continuous Avenue.

Let us not forget about Edgewater. That Main Street is West 25th. That area is going to flourish as the the immediate area will grow around Sloans Lake with the completion of the Rail Station just south on Sheridan.

There are other areas in Denver that constitute a real neighborhood, such as the Bonnie Brae on University. Down on University, where it meets Evans, is the great neighborhood surrounding University of Denver. I would also include the many neighborhoods off of Evans, going down South Downing near Porter Hospital and the already Mentioned South Pearl Street. 9th and Corona is also our own little gay community neighborhood in the Cheesman Park neighborhood with the Grocery, King Soopers, affectionately called "Queen Soopers".

If I was locating a business I would seriously look at the Transit Oriented Developments that are happening all over the area, and especially in conjunction with the expanding rail. Much of that information can be found at the Denver Regional Council of Governments http://www.drcog.org/index.cfm and specifically http://tod.drcog.org/

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-19-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 PM

625 posts, read 1,184,972 times
Great advice, Live Content! I have been trying to find out more about the historic "Main Streets" around Denver. I'll have to check some out, especially if we move in the direction of Denver next year. Sloan's Lake sounds nice. Never knew Wheat Ridge had an old town. And thanks for the correction on Highlands - I had assumed Tennyson was the "old town" of the Highlands area.

As always, I appreciate your posts. Hope you are having a pleasant fall!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
I seemed to have made a mistake in my previous post, which I cannot correct. West Highland includes the neighborhood on West 32nd. and Lowell. The Highland neighborhood is east of Federal to I-25. Sorry.

Livecontent

Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,286 times
I currently live and work in Golden, and think it meets all of your requirements. Clear Creek Park is unique with it's access to mountain trails and Clear Creek itself. Family movie nights on Friday's in the summer draws hoards of teenagers just hanging out having fun - away from their parents, of course! Golden High School is small so they won't get lost in some of the HUGE mega high schools elsewhere in Denver. While there are several ice cream shops, none are handmade and do not offer gelato. Love to see you there!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:25 PM

20 posts, read 42,748 times
Default Littleton Neighborhood w/Amenities

Folks, I need some advice. In the next 1-2 years we are planning on relocating from Colorado Springs up to the Denver area. We want to relocate our handmade gelato business from the COS area to the Denver area. We have scoped out downtown Littleton and that seems to be a really nice area for the type of environment we are looking for for our shop (high foot traffic, quaint shops, a true downtown area, nearby businesses, nearby restaurants, relatively close to a light rail, etc).

A few questions.....

Are there other Denver suburbs with quaint downtowns that actually get nice foot traffic with restaurants and shops?

We have middle school and high school aged kids and want to live relatively close to our store, but also need an area with newer homes and a subdivision feel to it. If there were subdivisions with amenities such as a neighborhood park, tennis courts, pool, etc, that would be wonderful.

Looking for suggestions from the members of this great forum! We are going to drive up to Littleton area tomorrow and need some directions/locations for neighborhoods that we ought to consider.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
What price range? There's a real nice area on the north side of Mineral Avenue between Santa Fe and Broadway with all the amenities you mention, but I can't remember the name.

Be careful when you are looking in the Littleton area. Some places with a Littleton address are in unincorporated Jefferson County and therefore you would be going to JeffCo Schools. Some places with a Littleton address are in unincorporated Arapahoe County and you probably would be going to Littleton Public Schools. Personally, I really like the Littleton Public Schools.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 33,338 times
How about the Highlands Ranch Golf Club subdivision off of Aspen Creek? It's right off of Santa Fe and Town Center, so a short drive to Littleton. Redstone park (skate park, tennis courts, soccer fields etc. and Shea stadium) is right across the street and the Westridge community center is right up the street. Great school dist. too. Thunder Ridge HS. is closest, but it actually feeds into Mountain Vista HS for some reason.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 PM

20 posts, read 42,748 times
Great responses and input. Ideally, we first must locate the perfect location for our handmade gelato and ice cream store. We really want to be in a true, downtown area as that is ideal for our demographic. Lots of foot traffic is what we really need for this sort of business. We have looked at downtown (old town) Littleton, Arvada and Golden. We like all three! I am a little worried that Golden does not have a large enough local population to support the business as it appears to be the same size as the Tri-Lakes area. We loved the homes up in the foothills around Golden. Amazing views! With that being said, the location for our store needs to have a large enough population base to support the potential for multiple ice cream shops, although we are unique in that we make our own product right in the shop. We even offer 'Ice Cream Maker for a Day' parties where kids (and adults) learn to make gelato and then have the gelato they made at their birthday party in the store. This has been a hit and, we believe, would do amazingly in a neat downtown area. That is why we were originally leaning towards downtown Littleton and looking for suggested areas to live in the nearby area.

Any other suggestions for locations in the greater Denver area would be appreciated!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 PM

619 posts, read 1,955,994 times
How close can you be to another ice cream store?

The Streets at Southglenn would be a great fit for your demographics, but they do already have a MaggieMoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver