U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM

20 posts, read 42,748 times

Advertisements

Folks, I have long been an avid reader of this forum as I have gotten a lot of great advice over the past years. I now have some questions to pose to this forum.

We currently own a local, handmade ice cream & gelato store just north of Colorado Springs. We are looking to relocate our business and our home sometime over the next few years. We want to be in a area with more activities for kids, great schooling, an area with less 'entitled' teenagers, an area with a neat downtown area where people still go to shop and eat. Maybe we are looking for a 'Pleaseantville' that does not exist, but I believe that it does. We love Colorado (LOVE, LOVE< LOVE it!), but we are looking for more than we get where we are now. I would love to relocate our ice cream and gelato store to a better area with more folks to draw from and in a town that supports locally-owned businesses. We are 'plain vanilla' folks and are looking for a similar area.

We have looked to Castle Rock, but want to know if there are other Denver suburbs that may be better suite for us and our business. We like the outdoors and would love to be in an area where bike travel is the norm.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopsafe View Post
Folks, I have long been an avid reader of this forum as I have gotten a lot of great advice over the past years. I now have some questions to pose to this forum.

We currently own a local, handmade ice cream & gelato store just north of Colorado Springs. We are looking to relocate our business and our home sometime over the next few years. We want to be in a area with more activities for kids, great schooling, an area with less 'entitled' teenagers, an area with a neat downtown area where people still go to shop and eat. Maybe we are looking for a 'Pleaseantville' that does not exist, but I believe that it does. We love Colorado (LOVE, LOVE< LOVE it!), but we are looking for more than we get where we are now. I would love to relocate our ice cream and gelato store to a better area with more folks to draw from and in a town that supports locally-owned businesses. We are 'plain vanilla' folks and are looking for a similar area.

We have looked to Castle Rock, but want to know if there are other Denver suburbs that may be better suite for us and our business. We like the outdoors and would love to be in an area where bike travel is the norm.

Thanks so much!
Your whole attitude is destructive in viewing the reality of what you need to know. All that you are saying, all that you want is in the City of Denver--and you say you want to live in the suburbs--"outside of Denver"

The support for local run businesses and especially restaurants is stronger in the City of Denver, not only the downtown but the thriving growing neighborhoods. People are moving to these areas with the income to patronize your business. Creative People are in Denver, who will appreciate and pay the cost of your products.

I would suggest you look at the "Best of Denver" for 2010 from Westword and read about the restaurants and neighborhoods of the city. This will give you an idea of the best location for your business.

Denver - Best of Denver 2010 - Things to do in Denver

food:

Denver Best Of Awards

Read about the growing and "in places" to live in North Denver Denver Best Of Awards

You will be hard to find all that in a suburban area which is more predominate with chain restaurants. I do not know too much about "self-entitled" teenagers but I know Denver is safe, clean with good neighborhoods. If you have a desire to live in the suburbs--so be it. However, your business will be better served in the City. North Denver and the neighborhoods of Berkeley (Check out Tennyson St., north of West 38th), Highland, West Highland etc. are all growing and are a place for local owned businesses. You can easily live close by the nice close-in suburbs of Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Arvada etc.

Livecontent

Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Both Littleton and Golden meet your criteria, but I doubt that anywhere has teens who don't act like teens. No matter where you go, there will always be teens who have attitude problems; they outgrow it eventually.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM

655 posts, read 1,804,012 times
Littleton and Golden do meet your criteria. One of the problems with saying that the City of Denver is the only place to locate is that obviously it isn't. The support may be stronger for some types of businesses (artsy boutiques, etc) in certain neighborhoods inside city limits but I guarantee that a quality home-grown ice cream or restaurant would do just fine in the suburbs. The suburbs have the reputation of being chain areas but ask the clientele where they are from and a good number are from inside Denver either at lunch for business or because there aren't the chains in city limits! There are plenty of quality non-chain establishments in the suburbs but of course they are more spread out because the suburbs are more spread out as well.

As an example, a similar ice cream shop Liks which generally gets very good reviews had a store in Capital Hill. When they went to open a second shop (while remaining family owned) they did so on Arapahoe in Centennial. They didn't do it in Berkeley, Highland or anywhere in Denver. They did it in the suburbs. Why - because they're untapped and not oversaturated!

So the conclusion I make is that if you open a quality ice cream shop and put it in South Aurora, Lakewood, Thornton, etc it will do quite well. The key word is on quality. Make it worth coming to and people will come to it!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
I agree with the other posters that there are many good places out in the suburbs that would work with a locally owned business. I give the strong opinion and impression that Denver is the only place, which it is not. I was just reacting to the OP idea that of avoiding Denver with maybe some preconceived and wrong notions about the nature of Denver. Also, I said much about North Denver but there are others of Denver that are fast improving as along the new city development on South Broadway, Stapleton, Lowry, Colorado Blvd., Platte Park etc. and many areas near light rail stations.

Certainly, the Arapahoe and University area is good location in the City of Centennial, in addition the Old Littleton and Golden. I would also look at Old Town Arvada as a good place that is drawing people to eat and shop. You can also look at the big growth of Shops at Dry Creek and I-36 in Westminster.

The big trouble in finding a location is that there are so many options. The Denver metro area is fast growing with new developments and older areas are being rejuvenated.

Livecontent

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 42,748 times
Default Terrific Comments....exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I guess to refine my questions further, I believe that there are many areas of Denver where our gelato shop would do well as we have rave reviews from down in the Springs.

What I am hunting more is what areas are best for my kids (12,12 and 14)? I need an area that is extremely kid-friendly, has some amenities that will allow them to socially interact within their own communities and where there re neighborhood parks. In Monument, we do not have that and my kids are missing out on a lot. I would prefer a location near a light rail connection so that we can take advantage of mass transportation (having grown up in Baltimore) and also where we can walk or bike to activities, dining, etc.

I know there are likely a thousand choices, but I am simply looking for opinions on the up and coming areas and neighborhoods that may also like to have a handmade ice cream and gelato store!

Thanks so much!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM

655 posts, read 1,804,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopsafe View Post
\
I know there are likely a thousand choices, but I am simply looking for opinions on the up and coming areas and neighborhoods that may also like to have a handmade ice cream and gelato store!

Thanks so much!
I believe that if you run a quality shop with good quality and service it won't matter where you locate you'll do well!

My personal area is Centennial which has good access to light rail on both the Santa Fe and I-25 lines which makes driving to it quite easy. It doesn't have a true downtown area though. I admit I have not taken light rail for several years since taking it to Elitchs a few years back since it is not economical for my trips downtown and I don't work downtown but it's there if I need it. There are also bus routes that shot straight up Broadway and University to downtown/Park Hill that make good sense too. Southglenn is a good bus transfer station with routes connecting to get most anywhere. I've made posts about Centennial before if you're interested but don't want to type them all out again!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 30,198 times
I think you should check out Golden. Although it is a suburb, it has its own identity and soul and has a vibrant downtown. Civic engagement and support of local businesses is apparent in the city. Golden does not yet have light rail access, but the first section of the mammoth FasTracks project that will be completed will be the line to Golden (scheduled for 2013...who knows if that schedule will stick, but they are making significant construction progress along 6th Ave). Schools in the area range from fair to excellent. I think Golden is a great place to have a sense of community for families.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM

109 posts, read 243,406 times
Louisville is a terrific suburb with a neat downtown. It is very outdoorsy, but the commute downtown is horrendous.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,968 times
Personally, I love Arvada Colorado. It is a suburb outside of Denver but close enough where the commute to Denver is not horendous and for the most part you can get to everything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver