Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

I'm starting this thread to chronicle our experiences with snow in metro Denver this season, and to give prospective newcomers and those interested an idea of what it's like to live here during our most famous season.

This will be my fourth winter here in Denver, and I can say with complete honesty that I don't hate the snow yet.

I encourage everybody to chime in with their local observations (and pictures!), as I really only stay within the SE quadrant of the metro. I'll be providing my own updates whenever it snows with unofficial information from my home near I-225/Tamarac.

So we begin:

Yesterday, November 9, 2010, Denver received it's first snow of the season.

In the morning, before I had gone to bed, I had heard on the radio that we could be getting a rain/snow mix in the afternoon.

At some ungodly hour (like 2pm in the afternoon, when I sleep), my wife barged into the room to tell me it was snowing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't go take a peek. She went on to tell me that the afternoon started out sunny, then it started sprinkling, then some hail, then snow.

When I left for work around 10pm, we had about 0.5 inches on the ground.

I drove north on I-25 and saw the snow cover last all the way up to I-25/Yale. North of there up to downtown, there was no snow on the ground last night. A co-worker who lives somewhere in Lakewood said that snow did not stick to the ground at his home.

From Hampden southward, the snow cover was more consistent, especially when I went east down Arapahoe Road. I measured 2.0 inches on the ground at Centennial Airport.

The snow cover was pretty consistent across Aurora along I-225, in Montbello, and at DIA.

While I was out, no new snow fell, and the roads were damp (at worst) at the beginning of the night. I saw the mercury dip to as low as 24°F last night.

Stats:
Today: 0.5 inches
Season YTD: 0.5 inches
Snow cover days: 1

A pic from Rosamond Park in Denver this morning:

And so the season begins. I look forward to hearing everybody's anecdotes regarding the snow this season.

Last edited by Count David; 11-10-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Hi David,

The pic didn't come up, but a buddy of mine called me yesterday and was excited over the phone that the flakes were coming down and he stated he was stuck for couple hours in a blizzard? Was it that bad, really??

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Hi David,

The pic didn't come up, but a buddy of mine called me yesterday and was excited over the phone that the flakes were coming down and he stated he was stuck for couple hours in a blizzard? Was it that bad, really??
Weird, the pic shows big on my screen.

Let's try again:

It was a normal, pretty weak storm here in Denver. It might have been worse in the mountains and foothills.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
So, it's SNOW TIME in Denver! Didn't mind the snow, except for driving in a "white-out" condition or shoveling it. Wife and I loved watching it come down from our living room window. Two surgeries I had (hip replacement and rotator cuff) made us move away back in 2007. Snow/icy weather made those surgery areas achy/painful! However, we both miss seeing new snow on the ground twinkle in the moonlight and snow covered trees at Christmas, but are very glad we don't have have it anymore! We now know why so many people (Snow Birds) either have a second home or live here Florida permanently. By the way, we are in our early 60's now.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm starting this thread to chronicle our experiences with snow in metro Denver this season, and to give newcomers and those interested an idea of what it's like to live here during our most famous season.

This will be my fourth winter here in Denver, and I can say with complete honesty that I don't hate the snow yet.

I encourage everybody to chime in with their local observations (and pictures!), as I really only stay within the SE quadrant of the metro. I'll be providing my own updates whenever it snows with unofficial information from my home near I-225/Tamarac.

So we begin:

Yesterday, November 9, 2010, Denver received it's first snow of the season.

In the morning, before I had gone to bed, I had heard on the radio that we could be getting a rain/snow mix in the afternoon.

At some ungodly hour (like 2pm in the afternoon, when I sleep), my wife barged into the room to tell me it was snowing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't go take a peek. She went on to tell me that the afternoon started out sunny, then it started sprinkling, then some hail, then snow.

When I left for work around 10pm, we had about 0.5 inches on the ground.

I drove north on I-25 and saw the snow cover last all the way up to I-25/Yale. North of there up to downtown, there was no snow on the ground last night. A co-worker who lives somewhere in Lakewood said that snow did not stick to the ground at his home.

From Hampden southward, the snow cover was more consistent, especially when I went east down Arapahoe Road. I measured 2.0 inches on the ground at Centennial Airport.

The snow cover was pretty consistent across Aurora along I-225, in Montbello, and at DIA.

While I was out, no new snow fell, and the roads were damp (at worst) at the beginning of the night. I saw the mercury dip to as low as 24°F last night.

Stats:
Today: 0.5 inches
Season YTD: 0.5 inches
Snow cover days: 1

A pic from Rosamond Park in Denver this morning:

And so the season begins. I look forward to hearing everybody's anecdotes regarding the snow this season.

I left work at 6:50 this morning headed north on I-25 from 84Th ave..
The communte wasnt so bad, roads werent bad..The fog came in thick in and out of certain areas..The snow I did see was mostly on the grassy areas..I took highway 52 heading to IBM..
Just seeing the scenery of the mountains had me appreciate what a beautiful state we live in..
I personally think we had a long cold winter last year and hope its not too bad this year.
Remember this is Colorado so dont be afraid to drive in the snow..
Everyone have a great winter..

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Checking in to report a light dusting of snow at my place near Monaco & Leetsdale in Denver. I wouldn't say it was more than a half inch of snow, but still, it was a nice surprise! I'm hoping to get more snow tomorrow!

Here's a pic from my house:

The commute home from work (Downtown) was a bit slow via RTD, but the roads were only wet, so I'm not sure why traffic was so congested.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
. . .

The commute home from work (Downtown) was a bit slow via RTD, but the roads were only wet, so I'm not sure why traffic was so congested.
It's the mystery that I call the "eek it's snowing" traffic jam. It seems that whenever there's any snow or sleet, no matter how insignificant, our traffic snarls.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:33 AM

9 posts, read 66,475 times
This is my first winter, came from Florida and I don't feel like they get a winter.

Strange that your friend in Lakewood said nothing stuck to the ground. I'm on the border of Arvada and West Westminster, we got about half an inch also. Definitely stuck to the ground. By 3:30pm today everything was melted unless it was in the shade. Very pretty.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 AM

This evening when I left for work, we still had snow in the shade, but none in the open.

As of 1 AM, the snow that's supposed to be coming hasn't arrived yet, aside from a few flurries that I saw in the downtown area around 10:30pm.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,480 times
Watching the breaking weather I find the snow is what I like to see the most because it has shape and defines itself to the Rocky Mountain Cam - The Weather cam of which I can see the changes as they occur and the snow accumulates. I find myself moving the cam display to full screen and tuning in some hip hop jams to tune the snow to some sound giving it some solid 3D definition only to find myself being dismissed by someone else who enjoy either the beauty of what the mountain cam has to show or their curiosity has draw them to the enchanted mystic that emanates from that tiny little box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver