Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,075 times

Advertisements

Hi! I would love some feedback from people that live in Denver, CO or people that have tried job hunting there recently. I currently reside in the Midwest and have decided to take a risk and move. I've been job hunting (sending out resumes, following up, making calls, etc.) but I feel that because I live so far away I am not even considered...It seems that I have mixed reviews from speaking to people there and reading comments on this forum about the difficulty in finding a job.

My plan is to come out the second week in December to hit the pavement and apply for jobs. I have a lot of experience with a top hotel and have my BS in Business Administration. I would love any advice on how/ where to look for potential employers.

Worse comes to worse I have set my deadline for January and will move out and give it a try for a couple months. I have enough to live on for maybe 3 months and am willing to work 3 jobs (minimum wage) if that is what it takes for me to make it there.

My main questions:

-Where to job hunt? I will have a car and am staying with friends.
-Is a car the best way to get around? What about the downtown area?
-What are employers looking for?
-What is the atmosphere in Denver?
-Is it hard to find a job(s) making $45,000/ year in the area?

-All advice is welcome and very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by OnTheMove25; 11-14-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMove25 View Post
I have a lot of experience with a top hotel and have my BS in Business Administration.
Experience in what area/doing what?

The 'mixed' reviews you heard are right. Overall, the job market is not good and our unemployment numbers are high (went up last month from 7.8% to 8.0%). Some sectors that require special skills/knowledge are doing better. The less skills a job requires the more people apply for it.

Quote:
-Where to job hunt? I will have a car and am staying with friends.
If you really want to move then search everywhere in the metro area. Then, from there, you can look at places to live. As for actual places search many of the jobs sites, newspapers, and do not forget to check out the company sites individually as some have posting there and not on the main job sites.

Quote:
-Is a car the best way to get around? What about the downtown area?
Depends on the area where you will stay. RTD (but system) is ok in some areas but not great in others. For job hunting, car would make it better/faster and easier - just give it plenty of time.

If you need to get to downtown the park and ride (RTD and or light rail) work s better for me as I do not have to spend money on parking and/or trying to find a spot. Outside of downtown, car is the bets choice until you know the exact area and if it is served by RTD.

Quote:
-What are employers looking for?
-What is the atmosphere in Denver?
-Is it hard to find a job(s) making $45,000/ year in the area?
Way too broad questions without knowing what areas you are looking into/can do. Mainly, whatever you choose employers are looking for skill, experience, and professionalism for a start. Due to the many people looking for work they know there are seasoned individuals with experience. Make sure you relate your resume experience to what they are looking for.

Right now there are seasonal/Temp work in many retail stores for the Holidays so the unemployment will look a bit less in December and January but after January 15ish those folks will be back looking for work. These are the folks you may be competing with. The fact that they are doing retail jobs do not let this fool you; many of these retail temps were doing $45K jobs in the past but are doing retail now because that's all they can find.

If you can, start sending out resumes now.

Hope the move goes well for you.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Mid-December is a terrible time to job hunt anywhere really. The recruiting/hiring world pretty much stops then and doesn't pick up until the first business day after New Years. Your best hope then would be to network with people and stop in to some small businesses and talk yourself up. They might be in a good lower-stress mood and about to get into the budget for a new year so you might get lucky. But in general you'll be much more active and see a spike in new openings in the first two weeks of January.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I don't know if the market is picking up, but I start a new job in a week after looking for 17 months. And this is only a contract position, so hopefully it will lead to perm. work.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know if the market is picking up, but I start a new job in a week after looking for 17 months. And this is only a contract position, so hopefully it will lead to perm. work.
Never say PERM, best to say full-time

Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Congrats! As "they" say, the best way to find a job is to have a job!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Is a car the best way to get around? What about the downtown area?

I'd say for job hunting, a car is probably the best form of transportation. You will have to show up at the interview at a specific time, which may be hard to do by RTD (bus/light rail). You never know how long these interviews will last, either. Once you land a job, you can investigate public transportation, walking, bike, etc.

Downtown is a little different, but the same problems apply with public transit, basically being on the RTD's schedule. There are places to park downtown, and you could always ask where when arranging the interview.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Thanks! I've been home with our twins the whole time, so it was no break. But I had to find a job that paid enough to cover daycare, so I couldn't accept a low-salary position. The boys start in a Montessori school next week. Maybe this job is just the break I needed!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
Thanks for all of the advice!

I have broad experience in operations, sales, retail, meeting planning, administrative, customer service, hiring and training... I know it will not be easy but I am professional, determined, and flexible. Mid-December may not be the best time to job hunt and January is likely not the best time to move. Sometimes risks have to be taken to go further in life though, or I could just keep talking about it for another five years...

My main goal of being there the second week of December is to get my name out and for employers to see that I am serious about relocating on my own dime. Maybe they will think of my resume if a job becomes available at the end of December or in the New Year. I will certainly do my best to stay in touch (in a non annoying way) so they will keep me in mind for future positions.

Further advice is always welcome along with realistic viewpoints, and criticisms.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: