Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 46,378 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 years old single white dude from Atlanta. I like to work then go out to drink and pass out in a ditch. This is what I'm looking for in order of importance list:

1. Good IT computer economy where someone can get a job *not* working in their field of training. (I've been an auditor, network admin, 3d modeler, animator, compositor, etc., but mostly trained in graphics) I know scripting but not hardcore C++ or anything. I just want to move out of Atlanta and be able to get a $20+ hour job relatively fast doing something with computers, preferably not entertainment industry. Been building PC's since the intel 486dx (when I was like 12?) so enjoy working with hardware too and wouldn't mind some kind of hardware sales or servicing if it pays decent.

2. Atlanta has 5 million metro population, poor city planning, sprawl, and poor public transportation so there is too much traffic and it just feels too crowded in general so I would like something smaller or better quality at least.

3. For living arrangements, I want a rental unit that has restaurants and shops below or around it and apartments above or whatever. Either that or regular apartments with a short walk to buy food from some kind of eatery.

4. When I'm walking around the environment/city, I don't want to feel like I'm walking around in a rap video, religious theocracy, mexico, or a dukes of hazard episode. I will settle for a rap video without any actual stabbings or gunshots fired though if need be.

Whats the best options out of the choices in my topic or possibly other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorjesus View Post
I'm 28 years old single white dude from Atlanta. I like to work then go out to drink and pass out in a ditch. This is what I'm looking for in order of importance list:

1. Good IT computer economy where someone can get a job *not* working in their field of training. (I've been an auditor, network admin, 3d modeler, animator, compositor, etc., but mostly trained in graphics) I know scripting but not hardcore C++ or anything. I just want to move out of Atlanta and be able to get a $20+ hour job relatively fast doing something with computers, preferably not entertainment industry. Been building PC's since the intel 486dx (when I was like 12?) so enjoy working with hardware too and wouldn't mind some kind of hardware sales or servicing if it pays decent.

2. Atlanta has 5 million metro population, poor city planning, sprawl, and poor public transportation so there is too much traffic and it just feels too crowded in general so I would like something smaller or better quality at least.

3. For living arrangements, I want a rental unit that has restaurants and shops below or around it and apartments above or whatever. Either that or regular apartments with a short walk to buy food from some kind of eatery.

4. When I'm walking around the environment/city, I don't want to feel like I'm walking around in a rap video, religious theocracy, mexico, or a dukes of hazard episode. I will settle for a rap video without any actual stabbings or gunshots fired though if need be.

Whats the best options out of the choices in my topic or possibly other places?
Denver is fast approaching 3 million and is a typical sprawling western city. Poor planning in the past, presently making a decent effort to correct it. Atlanta has MARTA buses and an actual subway. All we have is RTD buses and a small light rail network that is in the process of rapidly expanding. I don't think they're very much different in terms of mass transit. Vehicle traffic here is terrible, Denver is ranked as having the 3rd worst traffic in America.

When you say you don't want to feel like you're walking around in a rap video or Mexico what exactly do you mean by that? Does that mean you don't want to see lots of Blacks or Hispanics? I would look elsewhere then. Roughly 35% of Denver is Hispanic. As for Dukes of Hazzard you live in Georgia, where the series was set, you should be used to that. Charlotte is also 35% Black, you probably wouldn't like it either. Seattle has a surprisingly low minority population at 67% white, with Asians being the dominate minority group at only 17%. Your racist attitude perplexes me, being that you are from a majority Black city like Atlanta, I would assume you would have had to get over any ill feelings very quickly being in the minority.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM

229 posts, read 750,483 times
You are awesome dude. I think your best option is to move to India. Or go to truck driving school.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Vehicle traffic here is terrible, Denver is ranked as having the 3rd worst traffic in America.
Where'd you hear that? I've never seen Denver higher than about 10-12. And most of the top 10 are somewhere in California.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
I think this was covered before but your best choice Raptor would probably still be Seattle, there is traffic but the general city downtown to university area is very small and progressive. Denver and suburbs has always had a big Hispanic presence and the rural areas well lets just say there are counties with an average of 4 guns per household. We are very tolerant of both, and a difference of opinion is fine, but your views seem more inclined with that of Seattle.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Where'd you hear that? I've never seen Denver higher than about 10-12. And most of the top 10 are somewhere in California.
I have no idea if it's true or not but RTD used to put that statistic on billboards throughout the city and on the sides of its buses.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
In 2000, Denver was in the top ten for traffic issues, but with light rail and the widening of I-25, Denver does not make the top ten with traffic issues.

Worst Cities For Traffic - Forbes.com

By the Texas Transportation Institute's reckoning, the cities having the worst traffic problems are:

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.
2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta
5. Houston
6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.
7. Chicago.
8. Detroit
9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.
9. Orlando, Fla.
11. San Jose, Calif.
12. San Diego

Gridlock alert! 5 cities with the worst traffic - Christopher Elliott - MSNBC.com

Top 10 Cities With The Worst Traffic : The Real Estate Bloggers

As for the IT question, Denver is currently not doing well with certain fields of the IT industry. Best to find opportunities and opening for your specific field before moving here. IT industry is stronger north of Denver in Longmont, Boulder and Fort Collins.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
As for the IT question, Denver is currently not doing well with certain fields of the IT industry. Best to find opportunities and opening for your specific field before moving here. IT industry is stronger north of Denver in Longmont, Boulder and Fort Collins.
Hmmm. Don't know that I agree. My spouse's employer, which is an IT company in the southern section of the tech center, has had about half-a-dozen employees poached over the past few months. All are now working for companies in Englewood or Colorado Springs. Seems like the industry is pretty tight to me. That said, I definitely wouldn't move without a job. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
I want a rental unit that has restaurants and shops below or around it and apartments above or whatever. Either that or regular apartments with a short walk to buy food from some kind of eatery.
There are lots of places like that in downtown Denver. Greenwood Village is pricey and definitely up-scale, but it would also offer places like you've described. It would be very close to DTC employers, too.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Quote:
Atlanta has MARTA buses and an actual subway.
The MARTA light rail happens to run underground as it passes through downtown. The rest of the time it is above ground like any other light rail system.

Atlanta traffic is much, much, much, much worse than Denver traffic.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM

66 posts, read 320,597 times
Default denver...

http://www.selinc.com/WorkArea/Downl...t.aspx?id=2723

open that PDF file. According to the texas traffic institute, Denver Metro Area has the 3rd worst traffic of any major city in the United States. It also says on RTD buses in Denver that Denver has the third worst traffic in America as well. I have no idea what the first two are, but i would guess LA and either DC, Chicago, NYC, ATL, or Dallas maybe?

But Denver does have the third worst traffic in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver