U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 PM

15 posts, read 57,516 times

Advertisements

We have been doing exhaustive research on relocating to Denver. My husband has even flown out to check out the Denver area. We came upon a new community online that looks like it's in the perferct location in western Denver. The name of the new community is Solterra. Does anyone have any info on Solterra? Its surrounding area?
Another thing that concerns me is buying new construction in a housing market that's not on the upswing. It seems like you can get good deal on a resale. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 PM

163 posts, read 712,190 times
Quote:
Any opinions?
Yeah you already said it though. Don't buy a new house in a falling market. Why not rent a nice place and wait?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,438,628 times
Colorado was one of the first states into the slump, and we are going to be one of the first out. You can check on the status of the builder, just call and ask about the sales in the neighborhood, do some research and find out how many homes are selling there. If they are selling it might be OK to buy there. Is there only one builder in the sub-division? This can be important, if there is only one builder, if they pull out you will have problems. If there are multiple builders, usually the one builder that decides to pull out will sell the remaining lots to the other builders that are building there. Don't Lear away from new construction. But do find a home that will fit you well. I personally have not heard of that particular sub-division. It may be new. It is most probably be production builders, which I do not deal with for design work.

In the office we are noticing changes, they are defiantly for the better. Usually when things are not good, custom home builders will pull out all the extras and special stuff that may be associated with the semi-custom stuff, IE they will not do as much stone on the exterior, or use very labor intensive woodwork. Over the past few months, alot of the custom builders have started putting back in the extras. It is a slow process to recovery, but I think we are starting to see very small glimpses of it on the horizon.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM

267 posts, read 915,908 times
Below are some tips many people often don't think of to help ensure the new home you get is of lasting quality.

1. If you are moving into a new construction neighborhood or a fairly new resale, check the reputation of the builder. Even if the house you buy now is in good shape, the rest of the neighborhood could be a slum in a few years. For example, I saw a house a few weeks ago that had windows that were taped and not flashed, as well as no moisture barrier between the siding and the OSB board. If the rest of the houses are built like that, I will put money on that neighborhood having rot in the walls in the future.

2. If you decide you want to move into a certain neighborhood also make sure the builder is transparent- even on spec home or resale. There are builders I have dealt with that does not allow walk-thoughs, phase inspections or for you to ever (and I mean ever) talk to the guy who is building your house. The first thing you should do is ask the sales agent what their polices are on the previous issues. If they have such evasive policy's, politely and promptly leave their office.
The question is what are they hiding? Companies like this cut very important corners and do not stand behind their work. Remember, if the customer service is lacking before they sell a home to you, what is it going to be like once you own it and the problems that come with it? Something to think about.

3. Get your home inspected by and ASHI certified inspector. ASHI has the highest standards, more so than NASHI. If you are building, have them phase inspect the progress. If the company won't allow it, LEAVE! Evasive builders never build houses built to last.

5. Get a good Realtor and make sure you are dealing with someone that will represent you when it hits the fan. Someone who will go the extra mile. If the Realtor has their stuff together, they will help you avoid some of the landlines out there. Never deal with an online Realtor that gives a rebate or a kickback. The service is just lacking.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 26 days ago)

10,892 posts, read 29,338,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post
5. Get a good Realtor and make sure you are dealing with someone that will represent you when it hits the fan. Someone who will go the extra mile.
Fantastic list.

I second the above. If you are buying new. Hire yourself a Buyer's Agent, with new contruction knowledge. Especially if this house is being built while you are not here.

Buyer's agent & home inspected, period. No shortcuts!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,746,848 times
Solterra actually made the news last year a number of times. This is actually a development on the formerly undeveloped Rooney Valley. There was actually a scandal involving a sweetheart government land deal and the developer (some council members were attempting to essentially donate a city park to the developer to build houses on). Citizens caught wind of it and shot that little gift down on the ballot, thankfully. Seems pretty clear that there was some corruption going on there, not the first time when it comes to Jeffco government.

If you ask me, it's a pity that the Rooney Valley won't be open space -- for many years citizens assumed it was. It really should have been, since it's surrounded on three sides by protected land.

In any case, however, Solterra is the one of the few (if not the only) large scale new developments on virgin land in the plains part of Jefferson County. Most of the rest of the county is either already built on or protected. You won't find much new construction anywhere else in the county, which was mostly built out by the 1970s-1980s (or earlier). So, if you want to live in a new subdivision in Jefferson County, this is probably your chance. I don't know much about the actual development, but given the high value of the land I'm assuming it'll be fairly high end.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM

87 posts, read 292,462 times
Default Opinions on "Solterra" - New Community in Lakewood

Curious about what people think about this new community. Or if people have even heard about it.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM

15 posts, read 57,516 times
Has anyone actually been to the Rooney Valley area? I was looking at the location of the Solterra community, and I noticed that the Bandimere Speedway is right across the street from the community. Is that going to make it a really noisy area? Any opinions from anyone who has been there? Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

353 posts, read 1,548,465 times
A wise investment would be to hire a lawyer for the whole process. A lawyer truly represents you, not the seller, builder, or a realtor and their commission. It really is a small price to pay in comparison to the huge amount of money you are going to shell out in a house. In the long run, you will thank yourself.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 208,881 times
Went down and took at look at Solterra recently. Did not meet with any of the builders, just wanted to get a feel for the area. The one thing that brought us out was the fact that all the homes must be Tuscan inspired in their design and use stucco, stone and concrete tile roofs (no siding or asphalt shingles). So even though it is the same developer as Tallyn's Reach, my hope is that it won't have the same cookie-cutter feel (we'll see). Had a tough time getting an idea as to the size of the lots though. The schools appear to be above average (Rooney Ranch elem, Dunstan mid, GM high) but are certainly not the top ones in the FR. Prices are from the low $500's to 2M.

We decided to wait it out to see how well the first phase sells and whether or not they build/landscape the open space areas, dog park, etc.

Has anyone else checked it out? Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or