Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 40,862 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Not sure we're going to have time to see the Grand Canyon. Other problem we're running into is finding a hotel where its safe to leave the truck overnight and then also be able to take my dog into the room. Have yet to find a good place.

Is driving from Vegas to Colorado in 1 day suicidal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM

26,130 posts, read 48,765,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickim View Post
... Is driving from Vegas to Colorado in 1 day suicidal?
Yes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM

86 posts, read 338,732 times
Yes, don't do it in one day! Take at least two days and rest some. I would also take Arizona through New Mexico and watch that weather map.
Have a safe trip!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 AM

598 posts, read 1,541,557 times
Just so you know, a few of the passes are getting slammed on I-70. Take the southern route, stop at a dog-friendly hotel overnight and get to Denver safe.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM

26,130 posts, read 48,765,534 times
Dude, take the I-40 southern route. Stop in Williams, AZ to eat at the Pine Country Inn, they have marvelous food and 25+ pies baked on-site daily. The coconut cream pie is to die for. Just do it. Right off the 40.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:18 AM

4 posts, read 20,365 times
It's really weather dependent and it can change mid trip in spite of what you may have initially read, especially in the mountains. A single day is a little much, especially with a larger truck, but not entirely impossible if you have more than one driver, get an early start, and don't run into any weather of traffic related delays. A lot of "if's" there.

For weather conditions check:

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

They have weather stations all over and their forecasts are a lot more reliable than weather.com, especially within the mountain areas.

For road conditions check:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Index

http://www.udot.utah.gov

New Mexico Department of Transportation - Home Page

Most of these websites also have mobile phone versions and / or telephone numbers that you can access mid route. All of this aside, the southern route through AZ and NM has by far the least probability for weather issues, but isn't 100% immune from snow. It's about 270 more miles which isn't a lot once if it's split over (2) days.

Best Wishes

Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM

30 posts, read 105,587 times
Default Drive from Las Vegas to Denver

Me and my brother are gonna be driving from Vegas to Denver next week to visit some family. We're wondering what the best/safest/easiest route would be? We're not expecting any snow because it's June.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 PM

152 posts, read 391,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1012 View Post
Me and my brother are gonna be driving from Vegas to Denver next week to visit some family. We're wondering what the best/safest/easiest route would be? We're not expecting any snow because it's June.
Just take the I-15 north to the I-70 east. It is by far the quickest, most direct way. It takes about 12 hours if you don't do a lot of stops.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,312,180 times
I-15 north to I-70. I-70 east straight all the way to Denver. Silly to go any other way.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 AM

256 posts, read 319,169 times
Default Safest Route Moving to Denver?

Hi again,

So I'm driving out to Denver on Friday with my moving truck, and I wanted to know your opinions on the route I should take. I'm coming from Vegas so my options are I-15 to I-70, I-15 to I-80 to I-25 South, or I-40 to I-25 North. Obviously I don't want to be on the road forever, but I also would prefer that over sliding across an icy mountain pass. I'd appreciate any opinions. Hope y'all are enjoying the snow storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver