U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,537,893 times

Advertisements

Reallllllly Blobbin, almost none of his wants??????
Lets see......walkability, a dog park, close to shopping AND, stated in the OP's beginning post, he hates apartment buildings!!!!
Lets see.....Tennyson is full of boutiques, galleries and bars and restaurants. Dog park at Berkeley Lake and , Rocky Mountain Lake is close. It is considered a very artsy young neighborhood. To clump me in to your "no regard category" is not only wrong, it's rude!!
I happened to live in Aurora, Arvada, Eagle and Canon....didn't recommend those....did I?
Back to the OP....it really is a nice sfh, dog friendly walkable young neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 PM

87,103 posts, read 102,884,582 times
OP, where in Pittsburgh do you live? I went to Pitt (and grew up in Beaver Falls), I could probably suggest some similar neighborhoods in Denver.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently finished my M.S. and will be working at a hospital in Denver. The starting salary is much lower then Pittsburgh, but I have always fell in love with the city. I do have some money saved, so I want to move to Denver BEFORE I accept the job. I know this may sound irresponsible, but I want to see if there is anything else out there first. I know the jobs aren't the best, but its worth a shot.

So here's what I am looking for, I want close proximatey to shopping, waking, and parks. I will be moving from Pittsburgh and live in Shadyside now. I can walk to two dog parks and one major city park, but can also walk to shopping. I kind of want the same, and Cherry Creek sounds to fit the bill.

With that being said, I have two Aussies. Right now, my rent is $1100 and I have a 2 bedroom. I want to pay anywhere from $1500-$1700. I hate apartment buildings, so The Seasons is really not an option.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as far as landlords are concerned? Any other neighborhoods I should look into?

The job offer I have now won't start until may, so I do have time here.

Which hospital? There are some good one and definitely bad ones to work for here. My Wife has worked at almost everyone here in Denver. You do realize, there is NOT a Nursing shortage here? So, the pay will be lower than other areas.

Depending on where you will be working at will have an influence on your housing. I hate Denver traffic, so, I try to live as close to work as Possible. House prices are over inflated. The area I am in has most properties well over a Mil because we have acreage. I am in North Broomfield by the Broadlands.

As for the worried about race, it isn't noticed UNLESS you act like a fool and then it doesn't matter what your race is, your still a fool. This isn't like back east. I was raised up in Erie, PA, so I know how racist people are over there. both the Blacks and Whites ARE very racist there. It isn't that way here unless you CHOOSE to make it that way upon yourself. So if you do have a chip on your shoulder, get rid of it before you come here because no one could really care about your race. It is about the person, not the race.

I'm sure you will have presumptions about people over here, but like I said, this is NOT back east. Racial issues are NOT an issue here unless you try to make it one. Then there's NO reason for that either.

With that said, being a single woman is dangerous here. I can say that as my sister in-law was Murdered here by her neighbor that ambushed her and beat her brains out. Then he tried to rape her headless body. That is the truth. So, as my wife and daughter does, they carry protection at all times. Yes, there is horrible crime here and NEVER EVER let your guard down.

This is the criminal that Murdered Stacy. We waited five years to only get a life sentence for this scum.
[url=http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/05/mental_illness_and_criminal_ju.php]Thomas Espinoza's Confession and a History of the Insanity Defense - Denver News - The Latest Word[/url]

Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM

221 posts, read 468,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OP, where in Pittsburgh do you live? I went to Pitt (and grew up in Beaver Falls), I could probably suggest some similar neighborhoods in Denver.
I live in Shadyside. Can walk to mellon park, frick park, and schenely park. I live right off of S. Highland, if that helps.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Ric View Post
Which hospital? There are some good one and definitely bad ones to work for here. My Wife has worked at almost everyone here in Denver. You do realize, there is NOT a Nursing shortage here? So, the pay will be lower than other areas.

Depending on where you will be working at will have an influence on your housing. I hate Denver traffic, so, I try to live as close to work as Possible. House prices are over inflated. The area I am in has most properties well over a Mil because we have acreage. I am in North Broomfield by the Broadlands.

As for the worried about race, it isn't noticed UNLESS you act like a fool and then it doesn't matter what your race is, your still a fool. This isn't like back east. I was raised up in Erie, PA, so I know how racist people are over there. both the Blacks and Whites ARE very racist there. It isn't that way here unless you CHOOSE to make it that way upon yourself. So if you do have a chip on your shoulder, get rid of it before you come here because no one could really care about your race. It is about the person, not the race.

I'm sure you will have presumptions about people over here, but like I said, this is NOT back east. Racial issues are NOT an issue here unless you try to make it one. Then there's NO reason for that either.

With that said, being a single woman is dangerous here. I can say that as my sister in-law was Murdered here by her neighbor that ambushed her and beat her brains out. Then he tried to rape her headless body. That is the truth. So, as my wife and daughter does, they carry protection at all times. Yes, there is horrible crime here and NEVER EVER let your guard down.

This is the criminal that Murdered Stacy. We waited five years to only get a life sentence for this scum.
Thomas Espinoza's Confession and a History of the Insanity Defense - Denver News - The Latest Word
I didn't mention race in my original post

Old 11-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I live in Shadyside. Can walk to mellon park, frick park, and schenely park. I live right off of S. Highland, if that helps.
OK. Washington Park, particularly E. Wash Park, is roughly similar to Shadyside/Oakland in Pittsburgh. The key word is "roughly"; I have found from living in various places that no one neighborhood is exactly like something else in a different city. If you like Shadyside, you'll like Wash Park.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK. Washington Park, particularly E. Wash Park, is roughly similar to Shadyside/Oakland in Pittsburgh. The key word is "roughly"; I have found from living in various places that no one neighborhood is exactly like something else in a different city. If you like Shadyside, you'll like Wash Park.
That sounds good, but I def don't want to do Oakland again after undergrad....

Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
That sounds good, but I def don't want to do Oakland again after undergrad....

Wash Park is not Oakland. I actually meant Squirrel Hill/Shadyside. The University of Denver (smaller than Pitt) is in the University neighborhood, and undergrads live in the dorms for 2 years, so are a little more mature when they get apts. There may be a few undergrads esp. in W. Wash Park, as it is less expensive (so I hear) than E. Wash Park, but it's mostly young adults. There may be some grad students around there, med students, etc.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Thank god,
Oakland was (and still is) disguisting.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 70,178 times
I would say start at Cherry Creek and go outwards from there. Just moved here six months ago myself, and there are bike trails that conveniently follow the river and take you into downtown. Its only about a half hour bike trek. Not too bad.

Prices in Cherry Creek aren't really too bad if you shop around either. Shop on craigslist if you want to find a house, just watch out for scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or