U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM

115 posts, read 34,531 times
Quote:
They fixed the signs. $200 cost to the taxpayers. A contractor messed them up.
You are probably referring to the innacurate 9news article. As it turns out the contractor who made the mistake ate the cost.

Quote:
Aurora gets a bad rap from mostly clueless people.
And we have a winner.

I have a friend who lives between 12th and 13th on Emporia in the heart of this supposed ghetto. He paid 140,000 for a nice 1950's 3 bedroom with a large yard and mature trees, at the height of the bubble his place sold for a little over 200. Most of the neighbors are either old or Mexican / South American. The area is quiet, the lawns are well kept and the people pretty social. He works downtown and can ride the 15 or bike to work, although he is a bit nuts and usually runs it.

In his price range his only other viable single family home options were very far away, in places like Parker. That is an interesting one to think on when you consider who you most commonly find bashing places like Aurora and where they live.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM

366 posts, read 732,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
1) Some people who hate Aurora are racist against black people and/or other minorities, whether knowingly or unconsciously. Aurora, along with east/southeast Denver has the highest concentration of black people in the state.tenants.
this.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,410,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Aurora gets a bad rap from mostly clueless people.

I always find it funny when people disagree, they are called clueless, ignorant, racist, sheltered etc....

Fact is Aurora is not the gem of colorado or even outside the Denver area. If you have the money, it's not the best place to invest in a house and IMHO not the best place to raise a family and terrible schools.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 AM

1,724 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I always find it funny when people disagree, they are called clueless, ignorant, racist, sheltered etc....
I get tired of this, too, and I'll agree with you on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Fact is Aurora is not the gem of colorado or even outside the Denver area. If you have the money, it's not the best place to invest in a house and IMHO not the best place to raise a family and terrible schools.
I'll agree with you to a point, too. It's really NOT the gem of Colorado, but it's also NOT a place where people should fear for their lives. While you're entitled to your opinion, I think your statement about EVERYTHING north of Quincy being 'ghetto' is completely ridiculous. Quincy. REALLY? Based on this criteria, I feel like I should find the older part of Parker and start referring to that as ghetto.

In my opinion, Aurora shouldn't automatically be written off by newcomers to the region. It's worth a look and offers so many options in terms of housing costs, neighborhoods, schools (part of Aurora is in Cherry Creek SD), etc. I wouldn't consider it to be the best place ever (and neither is Denver, or Parker, etc.), but I also don't think it deserves its reputation, just because a small part of it is run down and has a bit more crime than surrounding areas.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM

16,895 posts, read 22,558,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
According to Citydata stats, Auroras crime index is 320, and the US average is 319.
320 is including the thousands of small towns and cities in the US with no crime at all.
320 is actually substantially below average for a city of 300K+
Its murder rate is also 6.8, which is also below average for a city of its size.

Lets compare it to say, Camden NJ, there murder rate is 48. Camden is at least 8 times more violent than Aurora... Thats a ghetto city.

Even St. Louis which is a massive city with tons of great neighborhoods and beautiful sections of town has a murder rate of 40.

Aurora gets a bad rap from mostly clueless people. It's a nice town IMO, and I don't live in a ghetto city, I'm just saying in general, its a nice town.

Actually, compare any city in the top 25 crime cities in America and Aurora looks really nice. It gets a bad rap that it doesn't deserve.

I agree that Aurora takes its share of knocks from some people as parts of Aurora are sketchy for sure, but much of Aurora is perfectly fine, especially the newer parts in the S.E. area along the E-470 toll road.

FWIW, Denver is 153 sq miles and Aurora is 143 sq miles, i.e., for all intents and purposes they're the same size. We readily acknowledge that parts of Denver are sketchy yet no one condemns Denver as a total ghetto, as we know much of Denver ranges from good to fine to outstanding. The same is true of Aurora, some sketchy areas, and largely good to fine to outstanding.

For years we've kicked around the accusation that Aurora (all of it) are dumpy, ghetto areas and it's just not true. Further bickering, flaming, name calling is not needed. Thread is closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver