U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 AM
 
639 posts, read 1,117,581 times
Reputation: 617

Advertisements

Not a Denver resident, but I have family there, in Aurora, central/northern Aurora.

Before I visited it seemed like every topic I saw on here was talking about how Aurora is the ghetto and terrible, needless to say I was surprised when I visited Aurora in person.

Even the northern areas of Aurora don't look or feel like the hood to me, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is high crime there, but they just seem like older suburban developments, working class, not ghettos.

In the southern portion of Aurora, I saw mansions, which really shocked me, considering everyone on here said Aurora was a ghetto and to stay away.

I have another question BTW, whats up with Montobello? I read on here crime is really out of control there, and by looking at a crime map, I agree, crime wise it is most definitely the ghetto, but I was shocked when I looked at google maps and it was nothing but 2 story houses with big yards and garages, and LOOKS much nicer than most suburbs on the east coast.

Did Denver recently tear down alot of projects and people were displaced to that area? Or is it because it is kinda isolated along with that?
I know that's happened alot here in NC. They tore down alot of projects and many of the ghetto folks were displaced to working class neighborhoods which soon became violent and dangerous with there arrival.

Or has Montobello always been a violent crime ridden development?

 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Reputation: 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Not a Denver resident, but I have family there, in Aurora, central/northern Aurora.

Before I visited it seemed like every topic I saw on here was talking about how Aurora is the ghetto and terrible, needless to say I was surprised when I visited Aurora in person.

Even the northern areas of Aurora don't look or feel like the hood to me, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is high crime there, but they just seem like older suburban developments, working class, not ghettos.

In the southern portion of Aurora, I saw mansions, which really shocked me, considering everyone on here said Aurora was a ghetto and to stay away.
I have three answers. 1) Some people who hate Aurora are racist against black people and/or other minorities, whether knowingly or unconsciously. Aurora, along with east/southeast Denver has the highest concentration of black people in the state. But overall Aurora is a very diverse and integrated, not segregated place. 2) People who hate Aurora because they hate all suburbs, period, or ho-hum, non trendy, middle class places just isn't their cup of tea. 3) Recirculated "I heard ..." crap from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about, and possibly have never been to Aurora or ever really explored the place.

Quote:
I have another question BTW, whats up with Montobello? I read on here crime is really out of control there, and by looking at a crime map, I agree, crime wise it is most definitely the ghetto, but I was shocked when I looked at google maps and it was nothing but 2 story houses with big yards and garages, and LOOKS much nicer than most suburbs on the east coast.

Did Denver recently tear down alot of projects and people were displaced to that area? Or is it because it is kinda isolated along with that?
I know that's happened alot here in NC. They tore down alot of projects and many of the ghetto folks were displaced to working class neighborhoods which soon became violent and dangerous with there arrival.

Or has Montobello always been a violent crime ridden development?
It's a western US/west coast thing. You can find tons of neighborhoods just like that in LA, SF Bay Area, Phoenix, Albuquerque. There are brand-new neighborhoods in Phoenix and the high desert north of LA (Lancaster/Palmdale) with shiny suburban tract homes that turn into high crime, gangland central ghettoes overnight-- places much worse than Montbello. Out here in this part of the country there aren't really a whole lot of high-rise "projects" (although they do exist), it's more common to find neighborhoods full of individually owned homes rented to section 8 tenants.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,097,193 times
Reputation: 1536
Seriously? Me or anyone else I know won't even drive through Aurora!! It's trashy and run down and full of nothing but gang bangers. Sad thing is, it started spreading to Smokey Hill.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 35,948,362 times
Reputation: 7512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Seriously? Me or anyone else I know won't even drive through Aurora!! It's trashy and run down and full of nothing but gang bangers. Sad thing is, it started spreading to Smokey Hill.
Funny. I stayed in the area for two of my trips to Denver, drove all over the place, and never got shot at once. I even stopped for food a few times.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 AM
 
639 posts, read 1,117,581 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Seriously? Me or anyone else I know won't even drive through Aurora!! It's trashy and run down and full of nothing but gang bangers. Sad thing is, it started spreading to Smokey Hill.
Trashy? Maybe it's not brand new and perfect, but its far from trashy.

The whole week I was there staying in low income all black and hispanic apartments I only saw 5 people that looked like gangmembers, and even they didn't look legit, just like some kids wanting to look like crips. In bad neighborhoods over here a 15 year old can't walk around dressed like that unless hes got rank in a gang or wants to get shot for false claiming. They looked like false claimers to me.

I didn't hear one gunshot or witness one crime the whole time I was there, and I was staying in the northern portion which is apparently a terrible ghetto. I didn't even see increased traffic at night which ive never seen in a ghetto.

On the east coast you know when your in the ghetto cause there will be literally hundreds of people walking around at night, and dozens of people standing in front of corner stores with there music blasting, and most of them have gold teeth in there mouth even the women, and they will all be wearing red, blue, green, or yellow rags. People will be selling guns from there trunks and shooting them in the air to prove they work before they make a sale. People will be drinking and smoking crack on the sidewalk, and prostitutes will be advertising there "assets" to all onlookers.

The grocery stores consist of a large corner store with bars on the window and besides them, gas stations, and hair weaving places there is no businesses there.And this isn't the worst section of town, I described a pretty bad neighborhood but not the worst in my city thats actually across the street from a police station.

I didn't experience anything like that in Aurora. It looked and felt like a working class area to me. I really wouldn't mind living there.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
 
639 posts, read 1,117,581 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I have three answers. 1) Some people who hate Aurora are racist against black people and/or other minorities, whether knowingly or unconsciously. Aurora, along with east/southeast Denver has the highest concentration of black people in the state. But overall Aurora is a very diverse and integrated, not segregated place. 2) People who hate Aurora because they hate all suburbs, period, or ho-hum, non trendy, middle class places just isn't their cup of tea. 3) Recirculated "I heard ..." crap from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about, and possibly have never been to Aurora or ever really explored the place.


It's a western US/west coast thing. You can find tons of neighborhoods just like that in LA, SF Bay Area, Phoenix, Albuquerque. There are brand-new neighborhoods in Phoenix and the high desert north of LA (Lancaster/Palmdale) with shiny suburban tract homes that turn into high crime, gangland central ghettoes overnight-- places much worse than Montbello. Out here in this part of the country there aren't really a whole lot of high-rise "projects" (although they do exist), it's more common to find neighborhoods full of individually owned homes rented to section 8 tenants.
How old is montobello though? It can't be older than 50 years, and was it ALWAYS a bad neighborhood, or did it just deteriorate over the years?
 
Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,139 posts, read 5,644,479 times
Reputation: 952
An unfortunate place, apparently, where chickens and pit bulls are banned.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM
 
115 posts, read 176,478 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Seriously? Me or anyone else I know won't even drive through Aurora!! It's trashy and run down and full of nothing but gang bangers. Sad thing is, it started spreading to Smokey Hill.
I think it is probably just you. I would question how you know it is full of gang bangers if you do as you say and never visit it.

Aurora, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

140+ square miles, third most populous city in Colorado. The original parts of Aurora along Colfax are not what they were when I was a kid, ever since the Aurora mall opened and the city expanded in a huge way but there is nothing wrong with the area today, it is generally lower to middle income with a sizable immigrant population.

Not so long ago the old Aurora I remember was full of WWII vets, mostly white and middle class to blue collar. Many of the old veterans clubs remain. They are holding a "second friday" arts event which while not as nice as the first Friday on Santa Fe yet does show some promise, and unbelievably if you listen to people from Parker the last time we attended we did not get mugged or stabbed and saw no gang-bangers, on Colfax even!
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,097,193 times
Reputation: 1536
I don't listen to people from Parker, I am from here and went to Cherry Creek. I moved away for a few years, came back and Aurora is still a cross between dog patch and the hood.



Just because some of the people in Aurora are now in Lock up, doesn't make it cool.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,931,760 times
Reputation: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Seriously? Me or anyone else I know won't even drive through Aurora!! It's trashy and run down and full of nothing but gang bangers. Sad thing is, it started spreading to Smokey Hill.

Could you please advise me on where a bad area is in Aurora? I'd like to drive into it to see if it is truly as scary as you make it sound.

IMO Coloradans have a warped idea of what is a "ghetto". I hear all the time that Lakewood is ghetto and I drive down Sheridan to see old houses and a mix of races of which appear to be working class. East Colfax is not scary to me, day or night. So far these bad areas that people talk about are not in the least bit threatening.

Maybe I just need exact intersections of said run down and trashy areas???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top