U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,372,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
It makes you wonder, then, where all of the liberals are moving here from. Perhaps the northeast and upper midwest? It's also possible that the existing population is leaning more toward the left these days.
More dense urban areas often do lean more to the left simply because left leaning ideals (which tend to pertain more to social contracts and dealing with larger numbers of people in smaller areas...i.e, rules and such for keeping everyone civil) tend to function better in those types of areas.

Guns can be a great boon in rural or less densely populated areas, but you tend to have a more diverse population in more dense, heavily populated areas where guns start to become more of a problem (call them tools all you want...they are projectile weapons designed to kill, and where that can be a great comfort or resource in rural areas where government protection may be limited or resources more difficult to obtain except by methods such as hunting, they become a more mixed bag in dense areas where there is little to hunt and more opportunities for police protection.)

The same goes for many conservative vs liberal ideals...Conservatives frequently live in the less dense, more spacious suburbs which fit their value system better, whereas liberals often prefer a value system more compatible with urban areas and higher density. This is not to say there aren't exceptions...the whole left-right scale is a bit of a canard in my opinion designed to sell advertising in newspapers, TV networks and blogs, but what's good for Alaska is not necessarily what's good for New York.

Many of the more left leaning Denverites I know were born and raised in Denver (which is where I live.) I suspect I would find that equally true of more rural areas if I spent more time there (i.e., many right leaning rural Coloradans likely born in rural Colorado.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 AM

290 posts, read 166,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
El Paso County (Colorado Springs) and Douglas County (Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Rock) actually had a more noticable trend of relocating Californians (particularly Southern Californians) than Denver County did. Jefferson and Arapahoe counties also had a fairly noticable migration from southern California. Denver proper got a fair number of California relocatees but also a large number who went back there, so the net result was small. Denver proper also surprised me with a larger than expected net transfer from the northeast.
This is very true. I know a couple of families that have moved out to Highlands Ranch and Douglas county. They call it the Orange County of the Rockies. I think people would be surprised . The families I know who have moved out there are not economic refugees, they are high earning families 150k range, who simply want to escape the mismanagement of CA and get more bang for the buck.

My guess is Douglas county is getting richer from all the upper middle class OC families moving there.

Invaders, ha, they are an enormous economic boon, especially to south Denver which seems to be economically vibrant compared to CA right now.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

5,679 posts, read 10,382,244 times
When we lived in Denver metro (Englewood and Parker) from mid 2003 to late 2007, we did see quite a number of California plates back then. We actually moved from OC, California to Denver. Thing is, many people don't get new plates right away due to the cost of registration transfers/plates. Some registered their vehicle in So Cal right before making the move to Colorado and still have some months left on the registration and don't want that money that was spent to be wasted......no matter what local law says.
Shoot, we now live in Jax, Florida and I've seen a Florida plate on the back of a vehicle and a New York plate on the front. Since we are only issued one plate, some folks here keep their old "home State" plate and put it on the front. Don't think that is legal to display two plates/numbers on a vehicle (one old/no valid, the other valid), but some folks just don't care.
As far as the OP's Thread questioning "California Invading", what about all the Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia plates we see here? And, for the year we lived in North Carolina, we seen numerous NY and PA plates!

Another thing that boggles my mind.........we are suppose to be in a BAD economy.......so how can all these people afford still move from one state to another????????

Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 AM

9,072 posts, read 12,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This. Its funny how Californians get blamed for making Colorado more liberal, yet the people I know who've moved or wanted to move there are moderate to conservative.
I agree with this, even though I can be partially blamed for the bluing of CO.

All the liberals here seem to be yuppies from places like Chicago. And too many of them fit the mold a little too well.

CA'ians are just too easy a mark. They hate us everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The "invaders" are usually mom, pop, and their two kids from Riverside

And when you look at it that way, isn't that the exactly the kind of people that we want to relocate here?
I hope so, because you pretty much described my family to a T in the "invaders" sentence above (I, pop, am the only one from Riverside though).

-----------------------------

We moved here for more stuff to do (we lived in a very small/isolated town before coming here), availability of jobs, relative housing affordability, snow, and Del Taco (sorry, couldn't resist dropping that one again).

If anyone feels that they are being invaded by me and my family, I'm sorry. I don't really want to be here either, and I hope to be making space for more Californians upon our predestined departure. But CO did give us what we were looking for at the time.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 AM

9,072 posts, read 12,111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Another thing that boggles my mind.........we are suppose to be in a BAD economy.......so how can all these people afford still move from one state to another????????
-paid relocations
-savings
-death in the family

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM

149 posts, read 180,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
How about an alternate explanation to the license plate theory?

Maybe the reason you see more license plates from Nebraska, Kansas, and other midwestern states it because they live closer to Colorado and are more likely to drive here to visit due to the lack of cheap airfares and access to airports in their home states. Just because you see the license plate doesn't mean that they have moved here.

Californians, on the other hand, are probably more likely to fly to Colorado to visit rather than make the 2 day drive out here.

Just a thought.
That is a good theory. I was in Albuquerque and noticed quite a few fellow Texans there but for California being so far from New Mexico, I saw many cars with plates from there as well. But, oddly enough, I also saw what I thought were a quite a few New York plates given that the East Coast is so far away. Like the Californians; are they staying or are they just visiting? If you see a Texas plate in a relatively close state to it, they're probably just visiting or like I posted before, stationed at a military base.

My theory is that California and Texas are two of the most populous American states and they are in close proximity to Colorado and New Mexico. I think it would be logicial that a lot of vehicles with those plates could be observed in Colorado. I have serious doubts about native Texans like me really wanting to leave their Great State. We're Texans first, remember?

So yes, it looks like Colorado might be invaded, and one could say it is, but you have to expect some movement to elsewhere from two of the most populous states and the most populous ones in the Western US. Wouldn't you? I wonder what Floridians have to say about their 'New York' invasion. I am basing this on looking at the migration map someone posted on the first page of replies.

One last note, there's migration to Texas from folks all over and that makes the Colorado 'invasion' look tiny. Our state has 'enjoyed' a 20% increase over this past decade. That amounts to the number of people living in Colorado in 2000.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM

5,748 posts, read 7,236,339 times
Something else to consider is that there are economic communities that tend to migrate around the country in packs based on their livelihoods. When I moved into my neighborhood, I was surprised to find that an acquaintance from California lived right down the street (we lost touch when our kids were very young), but perhaps it shouldn't have been a surprise. After all, we work in similar industries and there are only so many major employment centers in the U.S. It makes sense that we would seek out the same regions. And, as parents, we're all looking for 3-4 bedroom houses with yards in good school districts in close proximity to our employers in a particular price range, of which there are only so many.

These factors might explain the exchange of Orange County folks with those from the Front Range. We tend to go where the jobs are located. When we lived in the Mid-Atlantic, we also ran into people who had lived near us in California. If we suddenly got a wild hare to move to Seattle or Chicago, I suspect we'd find the same thing.

If you're intent on playing the blame game, perhaps it's more reasonable to ascribe the changes to Colorado not on immigrants from a particular state, but on a demographic of highly-mobile, 30-something, tech/finance/sales workers who tend to follow the money.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-23-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 AM

753 posts, read 843,454 times
The whole problem here is not the Californians or anyone else from any other state, but the natives in CO who assume a victim mentality and claim they are being "invaded". This mentality presupposes that CO is their state and that anyone who immigrates and then lives in CO is doing so without the entitlement that they as native Coloradans have.

This sense of entitlement is purely presumed, BTW.

In reality, anyone can move anywhere in the USA.

Reasonable people like those in CA and NY don't claim they're being "invaded" because they're used to people moving to their states. Coloradans could learn from those people so as to stop being so insular.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM

290 posts, read 166,546 times
Default Is South Denver and Douglas County the Orange County of the Rockies

That is the question. I know a couple of upper middle class families that have migrated to Douglas County in the last couple of years ($150-300K/yr range).

They have noted a couple of things.

1. There are many families from OC, unusually high number in one location
2. They are usually migrating with their high paying jobs and in some cases bringing additional jobs with them
3. The area has the family oriented feel of south Orange County
4. The area has held up better than average for quality of life and economically than much of the country. This bears out with the most recent census data, particularly median income.
5. They believe that Denver with so many young educated families, will grow in importance as time goes on. After all, young educated families are key to long term economic growth.

What are the thoughts of those that live there. Are you a former SoCal or Orange County family? What is your experience.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-23-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

5,748 posts, read 7,236,339 times
Love Boating...

While every community in the United States has been touched by economic troubles, every demographic has not. The unemployment rate for college-educated professionals is significantly lower than the overall national unemployment rate.

We might not be able to sell our houses as quickly or for as much as we could have in 2005, but that doesn't mean we couldn't move if needed. If my spouse was offered his dream job in another state tommorrow, believe me, I'd be packed and ready to go within the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver